Corner sub box for HT use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently upgraded to a large flat screen. The old smaller TV was in an oak cabinet that I built. All my AV equipment is in or on the cabinet. It looks pretty strange with the big hole where the TV was so a new AV center is needed. I would love to incorporate a larger more powerful sub than the current 50w commercial unit. Searched the forum for a while with no real good find. Room is 15x20 with 8' ceilings. TV mounted in corner. One wall has 10' opening into dining area of same size as living room. Main listening is HT with 10% music. The rest of the system is due for an overhaul so I really want to start with the sub for some guts then team that up with the surround later.

With that budget, there's a couple of ideas that spring to my mind. First, you could look at something like this:

Rythmik FV12 - vented HT sub

Shipping might push it over your budget a bit, but I've heard decent things about them.

If you wanted to build your own box, something like these two:
TC Sounds Epic 12" DVC Subwoofer 293-650 (Coils wired in series)
Bash 500W Digital Subwoofer Amplifier 300-752

Might play well together. The type of enclosure will probably end up as the topic of debate around here though :)

I guess I should make it more clear. My goals are to build a sub into the corner of the room to take the palce of the current TV/gear stand that is there. So I am not just looking for a short square bot but more of table topped sub that the AV stuff could sit on. I can throw more coin at it if that seems cheap? Volume is no real issue at this point.

I'd probably go for the tc sounds driver and the plate amp in that case. If you opted for a sealed cabinet, you could pretty much build it into whatever shape you desired.

I'd start by measuring the dimensions of what you'd like the sub to occupy (perhaps the existing stand) and plug those dimensions and the driver parameters into WinISD (LinearTeam) and see if the results are acceptable.

For 500$ You have lots of options. I personally like the http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-464 with a 300 to 500w sub amp. In a low tuned (6ft^3/15Hz) BR box it is brutal. But you cold look into T-TQWP if output is your thing or sealed with boost for HiFi, if loud isn't your thing.

I should point out that corner placement in a room is not a good thing as it will maximally excite all room modes.

Hi paperman,

Post #1: "...the system is due for an overhaul so I really want to start with the sub..."

You should probably consider the subwoofer(s) together with the main speakers. If the mains are true full range speakers they will work together with the sub(s) to energize the room; then corner placement may be quite helpful to optimize the system response. Also, a corner subwoofer works well in a multisub setup. You have a large room with a large opening and a large adjacent room, I think you'll have to play around a little to arrive at an optimum speaker placement, but at least one of the low frequency sources could be located in a corner. There is a lot of applicable theory in this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/134568-multiple-small-subs-geddes-approach.html
Start with the link by markus76 in Post #5.

Post #5: "...Volume is no real issue at this point."

That would open the door to a lot of possibilities. E.g.: a redesign of Petter Persson's Kraken tapped horn (V_net=577 L) with dual JBL GTO1214, affordable drivers and a great enclosure. Those JBLs are nice in all kinds of enclosures, even a single driver in V_net=50 L would work. Or, a corner sub with two endtable subs, with these drivers you could still keep it below $500.--.

Regards,

I've always wanted to mess around with a pretty small horn box in a corner in which the corner is actually the horns mouth. I feel like this could get some pretty low loading and save size. It could be tricky though to design a horn in which the last expansion is the same as the corner and has good response.

Might be worth some hornresping...

I'm sure Dr. Toole is happy that you confirmed his experience. You seem to have stopped reading before the "This may or may not be bad" statement about exciting the all the modes.

Thus my point about oversimplification. Dr. Toole next mentions that the corner is a logical place to start.

If you reference Toole, surely your real recommendation is that the user should be moving toward multiple subs.

I'm sure Dr. Toole is happy that you confirmed his experience. You seem to have stopped reading before the "This may or may not be bad" statement about exciting the all the modes.

Thus my point about oversimplification. Dr. Toole next mentions that the corner is a logical place to start.

If you reference Toole, surely your real recommendation is that the user should be moving toward multiple subs.

I've read the whole thing ;). Exciting all the room modes is not a bad thing only if your sitting in a single position that is not at a position of a null or peak pressure zone. Starting with a corner simulation is the logical place to start when simulating the room modes. This is helpful and lets you know what to do next.

I don't think multiple subs are necessary unless the math tells you that within the seating area multiple subs are necessary to achieve a flat response across the seating positions.

I guess I should make it more clear. My goals are to build a sub into the corner of the room to take the palce of the current TV/gear stand that is there. So I am not just looking for a short square bot but more of table topped sub that the AV stuff could sit on. I can throw more coin at it if that seems cheap? Volume is no real issue at this point.

Table tuba

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.