Proper power for 2 THAM15's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys (and gals)

I have just ordered all the plywood, hardware and paint to build 2 THAM15's for PA-use, and 2 more probably in a few months, if needed ;-)
I am going to use either the 15TBX100 as originally spec'd, or the 15PS100 because of the lower price. The sim looks very similar using either one, but of course I get a higher max SPL with the TBX.
The music is not dubstep or sinewaves, just "normal" rock and ballads, but we do have a 5-string bass, and of course the kickdrum.
We play for audiences around 2-300 max, and mostly indoors, but would also like to cover 300 outdoors. 100 dB at the middle of the dance floor (10 m/30 feet out) is our normal level.

Now to my question : what amplifier-power do I really need to drive these beasts optimally, and what can they really take before smoking/X-Maxing ?
The PS100 takes 700W cont, 1400W max, and they are 8 ohms, so what I was looking for was an amplifier for 1400W @ 4 ohms because I am going to use them in parallel. Or do I need an amp with 2800W @ 4 ohms because that is what the drivers actually can take ?

I already have a Powersoft Q4004 (4*600W@8 ohms) for the tops (Stereo-biamp) so another light-weight would be nice.
I also thought about having another Q4004 for the subs but it gives "only" 4*1000W@ 4 ohms or 2*2000W@8 ohms bridged so I could wire the subs so that I drive them from their own channel, then they would get 2000W each.

Any input on this would be great, and regards and thank You for Your help
Magnus

I am going to use either the 15TBX100 as originally spec'd, or the 15PS100 because of the lower price. The sim looks very similar using either one, but of course I get a higher max SPL with the TBX.

Now to my question : what amplifier-power do I really need to drive these beasts optimally, and what can they really take before smoking/X-Maxing ?
The PS100 takes 700W cont, 1400W max, and they are 8 ohms, so what I was looking for was an amplifier for 1400W @ 4 ohms because I am going to use them in parallel. Or do I need an amp with 2800W @ 4 ohms because that is what the drivers actually can take ?
Get enough power to push the speaker you choose a bit over what the sim says it takes to hit Xmax.

Better to have too much and set limiters than not have enough to drive the speakers to their potential.

Thank You for the reply.
The "Better to have too much" I know, same goes for Your car :)

I ran a few "Max SPL" simulations in Hornresp and (if I understand this correctly) found out that with 700W I can have 126 dB at 92 Hz limited by power and at 58 Hz limited by XMAX.
But then with 1400W (what the 15PS100 can take max) I can have 126 dB also at 42 Hz, with 700W only 121 dB. Doesn't this mean that if I have an amp with 1400W I can EQ the box to give more 42 Hz ?

They take a kilowatt for extended periods. No problem.
Some highpass at 30 - 35 Hz and dont push the amps into hard clipping.

Johannes.

Ok, thanks.

I just got hold of a used QSC PLX3402 that can push 3400W into 4 ohms when bridged so I suppose that would be ok for a pair.
And yes, I am going to highpass and limit, I have a Omnidrive as processing for the PA so I have all possibilities.

Thank You guys for Your help
Magnus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.