sealed or ported

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
for home theater I would think ported due to efficiency and lower frequency extension and speed. 2 Channel...hmm..both would work...but very music dependent. plus, your pushing 150W...not too much, the rest of the system would have to "match" per se to what the SW could handle. Visa Versa. ULTIMATELY...personally, I would go for ported.

The type and design of the "best" enclosure is very dependent upon the physical characteristics of the driver. Some 10" drivers are better suited for sealed enclosures, other are best in ported enclosures. These parameters also determine things like enclosure volume, port size, etc. Do a search on "Thiele Small parameters".

If you have the T/S parameters, or details on the driver model/manufacturer then post it here and some folks can better help you with your design.

Good luck,

-bill

Sealed subs are sometimes considered more musical. They roll off more gently than ported subs, which can make for a more natural match with the room's "transfer function" or gain at low frequencies. Lower order designs should have better transient response. They're more tolerant of errors in the woofer's Thiele-Small parameters, and published specs can often be very wrong; it's always preferable to measure the parameters rather than trust numbers that could have typos or were based on a pre-production prototype.

Yup. Sealed boxes have better transient response. But ported boxes can have more output (both sensitivity and maximum output) in the low bass IF IF IF:
- You have a big enough enclosure AND a big enough port (which is often a problem)
- The driver parameters match the enclosure.

So I'll echo the "just put it in a sealed box unless you can measure the parameters" or get a very trusted spec sheet. What is the brand/model of the woofers?

It is made of paper cone, hope i can get at least a full range of the bass effect with this thing. by the way, here are the specs:
Peerless 830668 10" Dayton sub woofer
Power handling: 110 watts RMS/220 watts max
Impedance: 8 ohms
Frequency response: 33.3-2,000 Hz

It is made of paper cone, hope i can get at least a full range of the bass effect with this thing. by the way, here are the specs:
Peerless 830668 10" Dayton sub woofer
Power handling: 110 watts RMS/220 watts max
Impedance: 8 ohms
Frequency response: 33.3-2,000 Hz

That driver is suitable for nearly any box type you want to try. The main consideration is, how big and complicated do you want the box to get?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.