PK Sound CX800: 95% efficient??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi NEO Dan,

"DSL actually publishes 28.3v/10m/GP, regardless of the nominal impedance of the system."

One can make an argument for that, as the modern amplifers have usually a great deal of current reserve, and the impedance of most loudspeakers-in the subwoofer/woofer range-is pretty much all over the place. To me, it really wouldn't matte as long as everybody is using the same methond. Naturally, fixed voltage/fixed distance/fixed pattern gives an advantage to the lower impedance speakers.

No answer yet from Jeremy, I thought I was asking nicely?

Regards,

hi oliver .
what neo dan means is the nominal impedance.
for example the th 221 has two 4 ohm speakers in paralel @ 28.3 volts@ 10 mtrs,giving it a wopping 109 db.would 14.1 volts be wright in this case?
a standart 1 watt or 100 watts would be better for comparison.
in the end its the maximum long therm output that matters imo.
regards erik

Last edited:
Hey everyone, glad to hear some chit chat about our new subwoofers they have been working out really great for us =]

Thought I would drop by and try to answer some questions.

#1 Obviously the enclosure is not 95% efficient (I wish) but the amplifier is Class D and capable of that efficiency. That efficiency does drop as output and heat increase, such is life.

#2 No where does it say the SPL measurement was taken at 30hz or free field, it does say that is how the frequency repsonse was measured. The cabinet was measured ground plane as is typical with most subwoofer measurements in our industry.

If you look around you will see this figure is well within what many manufacturers are showing. Meyer HP700 = 139db. http://www.meyersound.com/pdf/products/concert_series/700-hp_ds.pdf

It's funny because I had a long chat with some people from Meyer at the Pro Light & Sound in Frankfurt last week about spec sheets and how they are interpreted by our industry. In fact with thier new 1100-LFC they say they will not be releasing specs and posts like this are the prime reason.

They full believe, as do I, that to evaluate a product you need to hear it and use it. Then you can make up your mind for yourself.

If you love our product, great, if you like something else that's cool too there are many great companies in our industry =]

Jeremy Bridge P.Eng.
PK Sound

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I saw Skrillex on his 'Mothership Tour' last October, and I'd say it's probably one of my five or ten favorite concerts I've ever been to in my life. It gave me a renewed appreciation for bass. Ever been on a rollercoaster? The bass at these shows feels like the drop on a rollercoaster. It's unreal.

I saw the same DJ in Las Vegas, and it wasn't even CLOSE to the experience of The Mothership Tour. And what was the difference between the two shows? You got it, "PK Sound." One had it, one didn't.

DJK has met me; I'm no basshead, I'm a 41 year old software developer, but these systems will make you a believer.

I have a thread on diyma where I was trying to decipher how on earth that show had bass like that:

DIYMA Car Audio Forum - View Single Post - BASS! How Low Can You Go?

Last edited:
So, is there anything exceptional or unusual going on here? It looks like they have a pair of pretty good pro 18's in a ported box tuned to around 30hz.

Is it that they are tuned lower than the common pro horn or bass bin? Maybe useable response to 30hz isn't overrated afterall....?

If I look at the surround of this driver, i doubt, that the cone can move 21.3mm in any direction.
i was thinking the same.
i think its a 1way figure or a x-limmit figure looking at the driver.
So, is there anything exceptional or unusual going on here? It looks like they have a pair of pretty good pro 18's in a ported box tuned to around 30hz.

Is it that they are tuned lower than the common pro horn or bass bin? Maybe useable response to 30hz isn't overrated afterall....?
nothing unusual.
i think its tuned between 35 and 40 hz ,it has a 30hz 24db lr hpf.
the specs say it is usable from 25 hz to 160hz ,but it doesnt say how loud it wil go at 25 hz
after that it says 28 to 150 +-3db but again ,how loud?
then it says 139 db spl max.@1mtr ,wich is a theoretical vallue.

now im not saying its a bad sub.
its probaply just as good as any other.
with the dsp settings you can add dynamic bass and some harmonics.

Last edited:
If I look at the surround of this driver, i doubt, that the cone can move 21.3mm in any direction.

i was thinking the same. i think its a 1way figure or a x-limmit figure looking at the driver.

Lol, an Sd of 1460 cm^2. That makes it 16% larger than usual which means less room for the surround and more air resistance...
So it's actually a low mass low Fs driver with an abnormal large surface, high sensitivity and still capable of 21.3mm Xmax.

Maybe we should wonder what is in the coffee machine at Radian...

i was thinking the same.

nothing unusual.
the specs say it is usable from 25 hz to 160hz ,but it doesnt say how loud it wil go at 25 hz

I'm not sure if others are guilty of this, but I know that I have a bad habit of dismissing 'conventional' boxes. (Sealed, vented, etc.)

cx800-1.jpg

Here's a sim I did of the PK box versus my TH-Mini 'clone'. In the sim we see:

1) the PK box may well be capable of hitting peaks of 139dB, albeit briefly
2) the TH-Mini is astonishingly efficient for such a small box
3) the PK box just clobbers the TH-Mini below 50hz

I'm pretty sure the Bassnectar show I went to a couple days ago was using the PK boxes, and I can attest to them being mind-blowing

But is there any terribly unique engineering here? No not really, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The boxes mostly seem to be the convergence of some very very large amplifiers along with a couple of woofers that can take the abuse.

As a regular concert goer, it's great to finally hear 30hz at a show. (Lots of theatres do 30hz, but getting pummeled like that a concert is unusual imho )

i was thinking the same.

nothing unusual.

Well.....to me a 30hz 4th order filter says the -3db point is at 30 hz, combining pat's plot with a HPF would pretty much give you their plot, so I would still have to say the tuning is in the low 30's, if not 30. I'm currently building a box tuned to around 37 hz, the modeled response is definitely rolling off higher than these.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner....

nothing unusual.

kane_clap.gif

When asked directly about the motor geometry and suspension limits Radian declined to give any specifics;
"The Xmax listed is the mechanical limit and is the difference between the coil and gap height. The suspension limit exceeds the Xmax. I don't have a value for that at this time however; I have never seen a speaker of ours fail due to spider/suspension failure."

I just finished talking the Mark at Radian Audio at 8AM this morning.

The surround is a 4-rib roll, and it is indeed 21mm one-way. I'm waiting for their machinist to get back with the measurements as regards gap and coil height, he claims x-limit is about 4" peak-to-peak. It has been tested at 4KW pink-noise for 4 hours, deserving at least a 1KW AES rating. Until a bunch of these have been out in the field a while they won't release a final data sheet on them. He is looking into some of the inconsistencies on the data sheet (both at Radian and US Speaker).

The cone is of a a new design and material, much heavier than the run-of-the-mill normally seen.

A special magnetizer had to be built, the existing model could not fully charge this dual-magnet design.

I am temped to try one (other than the price).

There is a 15" version as well, but it is not much cheaper.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.