PK Sound CX800: 95% efficient?? - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2013, 06:00 PM   #71
diyAudio Member

Here's some speaker pr0n, courtesy of PK Sound and the Full Flex Tour

Click the image to open in full size.

Got subs?
Old 27th October 2013, 06:40 PM   #72
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
They would have similar SPL output, but would only use 50% of the power the PK subs use doing it.

The U2 360 tour used 24) Clair Brothers B218 subs, and 72) S4 subs powered with upwards of a million watts just for the subs, makes the "100,000 watts of Bone Crushing Sound System Power" on the Excision Execution Tour look like a ghetto blaster by comparison.

Power demands for big LF can really add up, an old friend invited me out to a big touring show (tiny compared to the U2 360 tour) he was production managing, that night the sound system blew a 400 amp three phase service !

The sound guys blamed the light guys (who had a separate 600 amp three phase service) for the power outage because a 30 amp projector was plugged into the sound power distribution .

Art
Tool and U2 play stadiums.
Excision plays nightclubs.
The experience is completely different.
I've been going to shows for a looooong time, there aren't many 42 year olds that go to EDM shows. And 2011 was the first year I ever heard a venue filed with so much bass that the walls flexed and it was hard to breathe.

Way fun
Old 29th October 2013, 10:29 AM   #73
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Got subs?

I'm almost there! Only 28 more to go!
Old 30th October 2013, 12:37 PM   #74
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

I can't even find anywhere online where a price is listed for the CX800.

Edit: Or even the new Klarity one.

Last edited by DrDyna; 30th October 2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 3rd November 2013, 04:30 PM   #75
sine143 is offline sine143  United States
diyAudio Member

Its not like thats an uncommon practice in smaller companies. Even Danley doesnt post their price online.
Old 8th February 2014, 03:41 PM   #76
abcdmku is offline abcdmku  United States
diyAudio Member

I was at a concert with PK sound this weekend, the bass made a significant portion of the ceiling fall into the crowd. My friend and I were hit, but not bad. The person behind us was almost unconscious, we had to get him out of the crowd. They kept the show going for a while and more and more of the ceiling was falling. My friend and I after helping the person who was hit were the first to leave.
Old 8th February 2014, 04:08 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdmku View Post
I was at a concert with PK sound this weekend, the bass made a significant portion of the ceiling fall into the crowd. My friend and I were hit, but not bad. The person behind us was almost unconscious, we had to get him out of the crowd. They kept the show going for a while and more and more of the ceiling was falling. My friend and I after helping the person who was hit were the first to leave.
Ugh, this is seriously what I'm worried about - that this type of bass is something that won't be around for long, because the owners of the buildings are going to wise up. And once that happens, they'll probably set SPL and frequency limits for shows. Naturally, they'll probably overdo it. I'd never considered someone would actually get hurt! Good to hear you're OK.

Was this the Excision show in Boise?
Old 8th February 2014, 05:24 PM   #78
abcdmku is offline abcdmku  United States
diyAudio Member

no, this was Datsik in Chicago. My friend and I are still shaken up from this.

we were literally right under that: (middle of the video)
Ceiling Collapses on Concertgoers During Chicago Performance | NBC Chicago
Old 8th February 2014, 06:11 PM   #79
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Ugh, this is seriously what I'm worried about - that this type of bass is something that won't be around for long, because the owners of the buildings are going to wise up. And once that happens, they'll probably set SPL and frequency limits for shows. Naturally, they'll probably overdo it. I'd never considered someone would actually get hurt!
When Supertramp brought a Martin rig in to a theater in St. Paul around 1978, plaster fell from the ceiling during sound check of the kick drum.

Structural damage from bass is not a new thing, there are many venues (more in Europe than the US) that have already imposed sound restrictions.
Old 8th February 2014, 08:56 PM   #80
diyAudio Member

this seems similar to planning a building to withstand earth quakes, the materials used have to be able to flex and give for bass, the more rigid it is the less likely its going to withstand thousands of watts of bass reverberating through the material..

any idea what the ceiling was made of? thats a seriously scary scenario that could hurt alot of people..

I remember stories of old warehouse raves where they were shaking insulation (probably nasty insulation at that) free with all the bass, but this is the first i've heard of major ceiling chunks falling and hurting people. wow.

Hide this!Advertise here!