PK Sound CX800: 95% efficient?? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2012, 07:46 PM   #21
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi NEO Dan,

"DSL actually publishes 28.3v/10m/GP, regardless of the nominal impedance of the system."

One can make an argument for that, as the modern amplifers have usually a great deal of current reserve, and the impedance of most loudspeakers-in the subwoofer/woofer range-is pretty much all over the place. To me, it really wouldn't matte as long as everybody is using the same methond. Naturally, fixed voltage/fixed distance/fixed pattern gives an advantage to the lower impedance speakers.

No answer yet from Jeremy, I thought I was asking nicely?

Regards,
Old 29th March 2012, 01:52 AM   #22
sebDIY is offline sebDIY  Belgium
diyAudio Member

What do you think of this standard: 2.83volts 2 meters GP (= 1w/1m ref: Audioholics Subwoofer Measurement Tactics ) It was used many times and it gives compatibles results with sim softwares.

If you do 28.3volts/10 meters, it is a clear advantage (in terms of sensitivity) over the 2.83 volts/2 meters.
Old 29th March 2012, 07:28 AM   #23
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

The larger distance gives a more accurate figure for horns, and the 100W will drive some power compression into the figure as well.
Old 29th March 2012, 01:17 PM   #24
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

hi oliver .
what neo dan means is the nominal impedance.
for example the th 221 has two 4 ohm speakers in paralel @ 28.3 volts@ 10 mtrs,giving it a wopping 109 db.would 14.1 volts be wright in this case?
a standart 1 watt or 100 watts would be better for comparison.
in the end its the maximum long therm output that matters imo.
regards erik

Last edited by epa; 29th March 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 29th March 2012, 02:17 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

I like to use the measured system Zmin in its effective bandwidth to calculate the required voltage to arrive at 1w or 100w. That way even though you cannot account for the complex shifting with frequency you can at least ensure that each system is receiving about 1w or 100w at most but no more.
Old 29th March 2012, 11:02 PM   #26
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

I would prefer a 28.3V standard with the minimum impedance in the pass-band disclosed. I can figure it out from there, and what load my amplifier can drive.
Old 29th October 2012, 03:31 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bridge View Post
Hey everyone, glad to hear some chit chat about our new subwoofers they have been working out really great for us =]

Thought I would drop by and try to answer some questions.

#1 Obviously the enclosure is not 95% efficient (I wish) but the amplifier is Class D and capable of that efficiency. That efficiency does drop as output and heat increase, such is life.

#2 No where does it say the SPL measurement was taken at 30hz or free field, it does say that is how the frequency repsonse was measured. The cabinet was measured ground plane as is typical with most subwoofer measurements in our industry.

If you look around you will see this figure is well within what many manufacturers are showing. Meyer HP700 = 139db. http://www.meyersound.com/pdf/products/concert_series/700-hp_ds.pdf

It's funny because I had a long chat with some people from Meyer at the Pro Light & Sound in Frankfurt last week about spec sheets and how they are interpreted by our industry. In fact with thier new 1100-LFC they say they will not be releasing specs and posts like this are the prime reason.

They full believe, as do I, that to evaluate a product you need to hear it and use it. Then you can make up your mind for yourself.

If you love our product, great, if you like something else that's cool too there are many great companies in our industry =]

Jeremy Bridge P.Eng.
PK Sound
Click the image to open in full size.

I saw Skrillex on his 'Mothership Tour' last October, and I'd say it's probably one of my five or ten favorite concerts I've ever been to in my life. It gave me a renewed appreciation for bass. Ever been on a rollercoaster? The bass at these shows feels like the drop on a rollercoaster. It's unreal.

I saw the same DJ in Las Vegas, and it wasn't even CLOSE to the experience of The Mothership Tour. And what was the difference between the two shows? You got it, "PK Sound." One had it, one didn't.

DJK has met me; I'm no basshead, I'm a 41 year old software developer, but these systems will make you a believer.

I have a thread on diyma where I was trying to decipher how on earth that show had bass like that:

DIYMA Car Audio Forum - View Single Post - BASS! How Low Can You Go?

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 29th October 2012 at 03:34 AM.
Old 29th October 2012, 04:12 AM   #28
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
I have a thread on diyma where I was trying to decipher how on earth that show had bass like that:
It's easy, you use a truck load of "the good stuff"...
Eighteen Sound Speakers - Eighteen Sound 18NLW9600 - Eighteen Sound 18NLW9600 18" woofer handles 1,800 watts AES. Eighteen Sound 18NLW9600 18" subwoofers are available here. 18 Sound speaker components.

SpeakerPower - Home
Old 29th October 2012, 10:39 AM   #29
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

This one looks interesting too, 21.3mm x-max.

Radian Audio 2218 Neo 18" Woofer - Radian 18" 2218Neo. Radian 2218 Neo low frequency wooferer - Radian 2218 Neo woofer handles 2,600 watts program. Radian 2218 Neo 18" woofers available here at US Speaker. Radian 2218 Neo woofers.
Old 29th October 2012, 10:54 AM   #30
jogi59 is offline jogi59  Germany
diyAudio Member

If I look at the surround of this driver, i doubt, that the cone can move 21.3mm in any direction.

Hide this!Advertise here!