Help analysing the Graph Plots for my design - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2012, 10:14 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

P.S any comments on posts #25/26
Old 23rd July 2012, 01:06 AM   #32
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

What's to comment on? You show a textbook speaker alignment and note that adding room boundary loading will alter it, which is true.

GM
Old 24th July 2012, 06:33 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Ok. Textbook is good. I can live with that..
Old 25th July 2012, 10:32 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Bargin, will order one-if the becnh is any good? I got a cheapo from wilko's and it collapsed like a tin-can with any weight/pressure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhhSoBadly View Post
P.S any comments on posts #25/26
Looks to me to roll off too early for my tastes-even in a car (my normal arena) that would be too high-what is it predicting F3 at before room interactions?

EDIT: just read the response listed in #24:

With room gain you're getting down to 40Hz F3? Should be ok, low E on a bass guitar is 42Hz IIRC, so if you don't listen to anything with much lower bass/movies with it you'll be fine.

Last edited by TheBaronGroog; 25th July 2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 25th July 2012, 01:58 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaronGroog View Post

With room gain you're getting down to 40Hz F3? Should be ok, low E on a bass guitar is 42Hz IIRC, so if you don't listen to anything with much lower bass/movies with it you'll be fine.
With standard A 440 Hz tuning:
The low E note on a four string bass is 41.2034 Hz.
Five string basses are probably as least as common as four string basses now, the low B note on a 5 string bass is 30.8677.

40 Hz just don't "git er done" anymore .
Old 25th July 2012, 02:03 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info As said, I'd always aim for lower-but then I listen to some dubstep/DnB
Old 25th July 2012, 04:30 PM   #37
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info As said, I'd always aim for lower-but then I listen to some dubstep/DnB
If you listen to dubstep and dnb and electronica, you might even want to aim lower than 30. Just as a fun example, here's a frequency analysis of Porter Robinson - Spitfire. There's a ton of energy in this song that just throbs through your body down real low that you'd be missing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spitfire.jpg (203.0 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by DrDyna; 25th July 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 25th July 2012, 04:58 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Nice track, though not as low as others-search for Skrillex and check the FA on his sets-down to under 3Hz

Click the image to open in full size.

My car is flat to 20, before EQ

My home system, in the process of piecing together, will have some B139 in a tappered TL and flat from 20-80 (before room interaction) and some heavy weight floor standers will take from 80> (possible lower-haven't finalised it yet).

I'm from a car audio background, where sub bass is very important to a large number of people-different goals for most when compared to home audio-and why we're so frowned upon by some of the Hi-Fi fraternity...
Old 25th July 2012, 05:26 PM   #39
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Nice track, though not as low as others-search for Skrillex and check the FA on his sets-down to under 3Hz

My car is flat to 20, before EQ

My home system, in the process of piecing together, will have some B139 in a tappered TL and flat from 20-80 (before room interaction) and some heavy weight floor standers will take from 80> (possible lower-haven't finalised it yet).

I'm from a car audio background, where sub bass is very important to a large number of people-different goals for most when compared to home audio-and why we're so frowned upon by some of the Hi-Fi fraternity...
Yeah, some of that stuff is pretty wild too, Distance, Burial, Skrillex, Nero. I like having a room full of subs that can keep up with sudden bouts of attenuatoritis
Old 25th July 2012, 06:19 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Ain't gaphs amazing!!!

Regarding the bench. Well it came as flat pack and had to piece it together, must say the parts do feel extremely flimsy when finally put together does feel marginally rigid. Building doesn't start till next week. I would say if you need the other tools go for it. If you only need the bench spend elsewhere.

About going Low, well my aim was to use any technique or magic dust (excluding external EQ) to go as low as I can get with compact box.. Fair play I didn't look for a sub that works better in a compact enclosure as budget was at a limit, so I just got the first thing that I saw on ...bay. I do promise to Go as low as 20 or lower on my next build.
Mr TBG. I do have a Infinity Reference 1240w laying around. Whould that been a better choice.

Interns of music. I am from the Caribbean so Dancehall, Reggae, Soca is my main thing but I do have a wide taste.

Hide this!Advertise here!