Now THIS is a subwoofer. 5 - 50 Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm usually posting over in the Tube or SS or ChipAmp sections (and the occasional Multi or Full Range section).

But this article definitely belongs here in the Subwoofer section. Six-foot-diameter speaker in an 8x8x2 foot enclosure putting out 5 Hz to 50 Hz. Built by engineers.

I wonder what my neighbours would say...

Giant Speaker

I might have to cross post this somewhere else too. Audio people are interesting to say the least.

Not being a speaker builder or knowing the physics and dynamics of moving air, the engineers built this thing "with a single 4" port".

Uh, is that big enough? Or would it effectively apply the brakes on something that large moving in and out?

And my wife (who is technically gifted and we both work from home) looked over my shoulder at this thing, put her call on mute, and said, "NO. don't even think about it." and walked away continuing her conference call.

Not being a speaker builder or knowing the physics and dynamics of moving air, the engineers built this thing "with a single 4" port".

I was thinking this exact same thing. I once got some minor port noise from a 2" port and a 3" full range driver, it seems like a slot port would be the only way to something like that. I also think that enclosure may be too small for it even though its pretty huge, just comparing the size of the driver to the enclosure it looked a bit off, I bet it is really loud though. I'd love to see the frequency response

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.