Using WinISD. What does it all mean?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've hijacked Hooligan72's thread on the Dayton sub-woofer enough. I'm going to have too many questions....
The specs on the Dayton RSS390HF-4 can be viewed here if interested: http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/295-468s.pdf I have saved the graphs generated in WinISD that I understand are the most important, the last two of which applies only to the ported version. In all graphs, the sealed box is the blue line, and the ported box is the green line.
WinISD Dayton sealed and ported box frequency chart.jpg Frequency
WinISD Dayton 15 SPL graph.jpg SPL
WinISD cone excursion.jpg Cone Excursion
WinISD rear port air velocity.jpg Rear Port Air Velocity
WinISD Dayton rear port gain graph.jpg Rear Port Gain

How do I interpret these? :headbash:
Frequency is pretty basic. I think I have that one. :rolleyes:
SPL seems lower than I would have thought...Right or wrong?
Cone excursion seems very low, like the speaker wouldn't be making much sound. What am I misunderstanding here?
The Rear Port air velocity, don't know if this is good or not. It is modeled with a 4" diameter 17.29" port. I was thinking of changing to a slot port. Which would be better?
Rear port gain seems basic...just adds that many db to the overall sound, right?

Sorry for the really basic questions on this program, but reading through the WinISD forum, didn't look like much current was going on there. I really appreciate the training! Jim.

Last edited:
SPL and cone excursion probably seems low to you because they are! Add power and they will rise!

You can't use cone excursion to determine how loud it is (well you can not that well though), use SPL that's what's there for.

I think I heard 17m/s is max you want from a port, I personally prefer slot ports due to them normally being stronger and easier to make.

Thanks for the quick reply Boscoe. I have the power in the speaker perameters set to 500 watts RMS, as I plan to uses a OAudio Bash 500 watt amp. I take it there is another place to apply the amount of power for the program so it changes this readout? If so, where do I alter that? Thanks! Jim.

I prefer round ports as they are easier to flair, especially when you have the possibility of moving a lot of air, chuff, chuff, chuff.

At this level, yes assume the port just adds. Also remember that a modeled response of a sub has almost nothing to do with how it is going to act in the room. Mock it up, put it in the room, and measure. I tune the box for Q and deal with the room.

Full disclosure: I don't care for the Dayton sub drivers, strongly preferring the Peerless. I also prefer sealed subs as mine are more music woofers than special effects subs, and I always use at least two. Everyone has differing views of this, so not getting into any debates.

Thanks for the quick reply Boscoe. I have the power in the speaker perameters set to 500 watts RMS, as I plan to uses a OAudio Bash 500 watt amp. I take it there is another place to apply the amount of power for the program so it changes this readout? If so, where do I alter that? Thanks! Jim.
In WinISD, go to the "Signal" tab and input the amount of power available from your amp - ie 500W from the BASH and then have a look at critical things such as cone excursion and real port velocity(ie should be no more than around 15 m/s to avoid port chuffing noise)

With that Driver and the BASH500 in a 2^3ft net enclosure tuned to about 17hz, you should be able to drive that Dayton sub to about 450W without exceeding xmax and with reasonably low real port velocity - you will probably have to go to a slot vent to achieve that however.

Last edited:
What if I stay with a sealed box? Playing around with the power in the signal tab, it looks like I'll have to stay around 150 watts to keep under the 14mm excursion rating. Am I seeing this wrong? By the way, just to make sure, I'm using WinISD 0.7.0.900 I never could get the others to work for me. Jim.

With that driver in a 2^3ft sealed net enclosure, and with the BASH's built in HP filter you should be able to drive it to about 400W without exceeding xmax (if you reduce the BASH500 built in boost to the minimum values allowed) - that would give you an spl of about 112db with a f3 of 42Hz and a f10 of 22Hz which is a nice compromise for both music and HT use.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.