Does it make a difference the position of a sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'd like to know a simple question I think i have clear, but maybe I'm wrong.

does it make a difference to put a subbass box horitzontal or vertical??

I think NO, right? subbass is for very low freq, so very low freq the radiation diagram is omnidireccional right? so no matter what position it will make the same effect?

And, about the dispersion characteristic (spec from speaker), in this case a subbass box too, is it really important?? Because a subbass is omnidireccional so it is kind of a "sphere" radiating, or depends on the type of box, for example for a bassreflex would work OK any position because wave don't have to travel a long way, like for example a folded horn, or something like that?
So folded horn would be important the dispersion characteristics?
Am I thinking wrong?

hope you can help me as always.
Thanks for your help and time.
Cheerzz

yes and no. lol. The lower the frequency the more omnidirectional it is. horns definitely do impact the radiation pattern, that is how they achieve their superior sensitivity levels. Other typical non-horn enclosures have a more uniform polar radiation pattern, but it's never quite like a perfect spherical radiator. The "cleaner" the speaker is (the lower the distortion) the less it will give away it's position because your ears might be able to localize the higher-order harmonics that are directional. Arrays of speakers also affect their radiation pattern, even for non-horn loaded enclosures; and then there are room modes/room gain that affect how our ears perceive sound.

so what you mean, is, that horn bins, are not as omni as a bass reflex for example right?

So you should be more carefull to put it horitzontal or vertical depending on the angle of coverage you want to achieve right?
Then being horitzontal or veritcal, i'll only percieve the difference on the coverange of the bins = )

do band pass bins also have this property to be more direccional? like this one :

v30nyv.jpg

Last edited:
so what you mean, is, that horn bins, are not as omni as a bass reflex for example right?

So you should be more carefull to put it horitzontal or vertical depending on the angle of coverage you want to achieve right?

do band pass bins also have this property to be more direccional? like this one :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Exactly, but not for "angle coverage". That affects high-frequency horns. High frequencies are highly directional to begin with. If you're in front of a bass-bin, angle converage won't matter all that much., nor will omni-directionality, because you are already in front of it.

A bass-reflex will not always be omni-directional. If used in large enough arrays, it will exhibit directionality kind of like a horn. The larger the length/width of the total array in comparison to the wavelength of sound being reproduced will determine how much directionality it has. The larger the array setup, the more directional it will stay into the lower frequencies.

Also, the bins in that pic are not "bandpass", but rather ported horns. Just the fact that they are in a large array will alter the radiation pattern, even for the ported sections.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/...ass_part_1_acoustical_concepts_of_subwoofers/

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/...s_part_2_array_types_38_groundstacked_arrays/

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article//a_practical_guide_to_good_bass_part_3_flown_38_gradient_arrays/

Those articles have good info.

Last edited:
so the ones in the pic, it won't matter the angle of coverage if you stack them vertical or horitzontal??

I thought that the angle of coverage was only for HF, but then I saw this spec ( page 3 ) http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/6/775818/Keele_W_BoxPlansPDF.pdf and made me doubt... This coverage would be usefull if i'd like to array the bins?? But not if I stack them right?

really thankfull for your help and time.
really appreciate it.

so the ones in the pic, it won't matter the angle of coverage if you stack them vertical or horitzontal??
The individual ported FLH in the picture probably have a tighter horizontal pattern in the upper range (around 100Hz) when placed horizontally, that is wider, rather than taller.

Generally for maximum forward gain a LF array should be made twice as wide as tall so the reflected ground plane approximates a square.

If a smaller vertical angle is desired, the array can be made taller, but will have less horizontal control.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.