System Pictures & Description - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2013, 11:28 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

Shadydave: my sealed 12" subbies go to 31hz where there is quite a lift from 40hz. I know what 31hz feels like so 16 must be sub-sonic.
Old 29th May 2013, 04:18 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

push pull slot loaded 18's
6th order ported

high pass with a q of 2 at 27hz (+6db)
tuned at 27hz (its anechoic unboosted -9db).
Old 30th May 2013, 07:36 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

That enclosure looks wicked! I like the HUGE round port!
Old 4th June 2013, 04:01 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

My compact 4 way active PA:

Old 5th June 2013, 05:31 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Awesome!
Old 8th June 2013, 03:39 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Default El Phantasmo and the Chicken-Run Blastoramas

Ok, only one Blastorama is pictured (top), but you get the drift.

At the bottom is the POC2 TH, based on the 12" Dayton PA310 driver.

At the top is one of the "Blastoramas", using an Eminence Beta 8A driver and a Goldwood 2x5 piezo (yes, a piezo, yes, it sounds very good due to the way it was implemented, and no I don't want to hear any more on that subject )

Two Blastoramas and the POC2 TH can be build for less than $250 in parts, not including wood, screws, glue and your "sweat equity".

The POC2 was built to test a concept, and the Blastoramas were built for a Christmas party, but it seems they make a great combination for a small and pretty mobile PA system. On three occasions now I've used them to provide background music at events, powered by my car's system (I use Alpine PDX amps, which makes it very easy to plug in different speakers when needed) and feedback has been positive.

I'm looking to design another subwoofer around the PA310 that's an even better fit for car transportation.

More about the POC2 TH here - The Subwoofer DIY Page v1.1 - Projects : "Proof of Concept #2"

More about the Blastoramas here - The Subwoofer DIY Page v1.1 - Projects : The Chicken-Run Blastoramas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130608-blastorama.jpg (380.4 KB, 1130 views)
Old 15th June 2013, 08:12 AM   #57
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m R g S r View Post
My compact 4 way active PA:

nice tops
Old 11th August 2013, 02:15 AM   #58
Rewind is offline Rewind  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post

push pull slot loaded 18's
6th order ported

high pass with a q of 2 at 27hz (+6db)
tuned at 27hz (its anechoic unboosted -9db).
Heeey! I just saw Slayer tonight in Oslo. \m/
Old 2nd November 2013, 10:17 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

nice
Old 15th November 2013, 11:27 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

I purchased two old kicker subs for 20 bucks total. I can't get even the worst, cheap subs NEW for that little. Total. score. To my surprise, they seem brand new. I was surprised when I got them home and fully inspected them. They are from the 90's, too! The surrounds feel new with no sign of rotting. There weren't even marks from screws being used to mount them. No chips or scratches on frame or magnet. No sun fading on cone.
I bought them last year, and have not had money, time or tools to make enclosures.
They need almost 2 cubic feet sealed, so buying an pre-built was out of the question.

I over did the internal bracing. The increased complexity made it hard for me to finish properly. I ended up hand filing down a lot of the edges. I don't have a table saw.
I only had one place where there was a little bit of a gap. I used wood glue on everything, except the front 1.5" baffle. I needed to make sure it sealed properly. Before I put the baffle on, I smeared glue all over the inside corners. There are a lot of corners due to crazy baffling. After it dried, I watered down some wood glue and painted the whole entire interior. I used hurricane nuts to hold the woofers. I didn't do it right, and it was hard to tighten bolts. They holes were not straight and the nuts didn't line up perfect. Oh well. Better luck next time.
I did overdo it with the screws. Looks horrible. I don't feel like wasting money on bondo and paint right now. They will stay this way for a while.
This is by far one of the most solid enclosures I have ever built. You push the woofer in, and it comes out very slowly. No huffing or leaking even at full amp output. Box does not move around, even with no feet. I have always used polyfill in the past. This time I used fiberglass. Very deep and clean.
I only have two subs, so am doing an incomplete mult-sub set up. Better than nothing. Mains are not crossed over.
I plugged the ports on the main speakers, and they sound much smoother now. Bass is still deep, but is not buzzy or uneven. I think going all sealed has made the bass more subtle and clean. More musical. But still sounds good with electronic bass from rap/hip hop and electronic music. Shakes the walls. I think one more 12" will do the trick. It's ok for HT use, but I don't care about that much... I wanted good party speakers for EDM and other forms of party music, while also being able to play many types of music well at low volumes. So far, so good!

I have reached many of my goals of trying to stay as cheap as possible and using old stuff (swap meet, garage sales). I have only spent "big" money on the waveguides/cd and crossover. Money well spent. But still not too expensive compared to complete new speakers and pre built subs!!!
I got the sub amp for 15 bucks and it still works really well. The blown up one cost me 10 which is why I only have 2 subs right now. The 10 inch sub was free (I have another one I may make a ppsl with) and is running off the amp of a little 8" yamaha sub's amp. You can see the old black box behind it. That 8" is horrible! But with the amp going to the 10, it is way smoother sealed. I put 3 rubber feet on it from the old jbl sub I got for 10 bucks. It sits really solid now. I got the yamaha back in 2000 with my employee discount. Worth it. Funny enough, yamaha subs seem to be some of the most common subs sold at the swap meet. They sold well and are still around. That is a good sign for cheap stuff that works!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg system nov 2013.jpg (955.2 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 10 inch sub.jpg (796.6 KB, 165 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!