System Pictures & Description / Subwoofer Gallery

It's all controlled by a modified 10x10DSP, I only EQ and align the subs, using REW and MSO and simply add what is missing from the subs to each channel, I am 'flat' down to 8Hz following a Harman curve, and actually have reduced the number of EQ filters and prefer the sound with a few bumps and minimum EQ

The advantage of the second 18" sub is cone area and the immediacy this brings, I am very tempted to add a couple of 15" lightweight coned subs from 35Hz to blend in with the 12" subs and add even more cone area and transient speed at the lower end

I have a friend who has 2 of his four 15" subs and this little fellow with a 6KW amp staring right at his front speakers and they get along fine ;)

24%22 sub 2.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Having had my share of woodwork in my hifi life (and there is some skilled work on this thread...way beyond my capability), I decided to take a different approach with my subs. I have been through many DIY OB designs, but in the end came back to boxes for the tops, and naked OB's for the bottoms.

Might not make much sense, but for me, boxes never worked for bass in my room, creating resonances, modes, cancellation, peaks & troughs. Eq helped to a certain degree, but was never quite right. A few years ago I stumbled on the naked clamshell design.....and have not looked back.

Some information on this thread:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...m-open-baffleless-full-range-speakers.374043/

There are a few caveats. This method of producing bass will never be efficient, but will go down low, sub 20hz in my case, if you choose the right drivers, for instance Dayton UM18's. These are directly coupled to my wooden floor, and produce rumble from 14Hz up to 60hz. Above that a pair of Focal Shape Twins take over. Integrating with a bookshelf speaker has always been a problem for me until I got rid of the reflex port and introduced a HPF. Now, the active Focals integrate perfectly with the UM18's driven by a pair of Behringer NX6000D's. A big test for integration is Electronic music where the artists will paint a picture with upper bass which only now has become clear to me. To enjoy this type of music I need a system that goes low, slams like a demon but retains control, and delivers tone, timbre & detail with no overhangs or boom, and without overpowering the higher frequencies.

This does it for me!
2023-08-08_150022.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Having had my share of woodwork in my hifi life (and there is some skilled work on this thread...way beyond my capability), I decided to take a different approach with my subs. I have been through many DIY OB designs, but in the end came back to boxes for the tops, and naked OB's for the bottoms.

Might not make much sense, but for me, boxes never worked for bass in my room, creating resonances, modes, cancellation, peaks & troughs. Eq helped to a certain degree, but was never quite right. A few years ago I stumbled on the naked clamshell design.....and have not looked back.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...m-open-baffleless-full-range-speakers.374043/

There are a few caveats. This method of producing bass will never be efficient, but will go down low, sub 20hz in my case, if you choose the right drivers, for instance Dayton UM18's. These are directly coupled to my wooden floor, and produce rumble from 14Hz up to 60hz. Above that a pair of Focal Shape Twins take over. Integrating with a bookshelf speaker has always been a problem for me until I got rid of the reflex port and introduced a HPF. Now, the active Focals integrate perfectly with the UM18's driven by a pair of Behringer NX6000D's. A big test for integration is Electronic music where the artists will paint a picture with upper bass which only now has become clear to me. To enjoy this type of music I need a system that goes low, slams like a demon but retains control, and delivers tone, timbre & detail with no overhangs or boom, and without overpowering the higher frequencies.

This does it for me!
View attachment 1200743
My wife would have a seizure.

Third in the series... a pair of 12" sealed passive subs using the Dayton RSS315HF-4 driver. Cabinets made from 1" thick laminated white oak boards, as were the MTMs and another pair of 10" subs not shown.
Very happy with initial testing.

Attachments

• IMG_0896.JPG
    IMG_0896.JPG
    440.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0897.JPG
    IMG_0897.JPG
    414.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0847.JPG
    IMG_0847.JPG
    401.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0839.JPG
    IMG_0839.JPG
    528.8 KB · Views: 154

This does it for me!
View attachment 1200743
Recent mod.....gone back to woodwork (altho minimalist) and got rid of metal frame. Woofers now self supporting and acting as speaker stand!
image_2023-09-23_195041899.png

Skytronic 902.208 bass in the marble box has these Thiele Small parameters as taken from a data sheet.

Re 7.1 ohm
Fs 53 Hz
Qms 2.4
Qes 1.13
Qts 0.75
SD 216
Vas 20 liter
Cms 300
Mms 30 gramm
Bl 7.9
Spl 86db
Xmax 5mm

Bass driver got added mass and stability with a big paper dust cap glued on it.

With the sound I am more than happy. Marble box with 2cm thickness of walls offers great stability. It's calm while the bass is working.

Screenshot_20231105_035329.jpg

IMG_20231105_035853.jpg

Last edited:
The driver I bought for experiments and it was out of use. Now it's driven by a small D amp, so lots of x max would not have benefits.

With a placement close to a back wall or in the corner its loud enough. I got two of them. One for homecinema and one for my TV set.

I bought the marble box in Egypt. It was made due to my needs.

Work and material was only 20 dollars. I got the ready box with openings for the driver and reflex port and it's feet. Galala marble is sold here at low prices and wages are affordable.

It sounds pretty good due to stiffness of the cone and the good quality of the stone as box material.