sealed or ported Subwoofer (for car use) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2012, 02:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default sealed or ported Subwoofer (for car use)

hi...

I need to build a Subwoofer box for car use. I already have a 10 in sub in hand.
It does well in a vented box of 60L 35Hz tuned for in home use(now using for my computer audio system. Now i want to build another subwoofer box based on this subwoofer driver for my car use

So any advice of what type of box should i use (i am currently driving a car with a small trunk size .... toyota corolla AE111) ...

Thanks alot ....
Old 16th February 2012, 02:50 PM   #2
johnr66 is offline johnr66  United States
diyAudio Member

It would help to have the T/S parameters of the driver. Sealed can mean a smaller cab for limited space and you can give it some equalization.
Old 17th February 2012, 12:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

i didnt really need high spl for this application ...just need maybe 1 sub 10 in is enough .... but just need to consider the box side .... (incase i need to access the spare tire) or need to put in luggage ....

what is the recommended cutoff frequency for sealed subwoofer box for car use ...
Old 17th February 2012, 01:00 AM   #4
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

Sealed boxes usually will yield the most accurate,"musical" bass.

Ported will give you a little more umph. (inaccurate boom)

The best box with a single 10" I ever heard was a bandpass box, kinda a mixture of both.
Harder to build, but IMO best sound vs output. Sounds great, will still vibrate your hair if your into that kinda thing.
Old 17th February 2012, 01:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

but how about the cutoff frequency of the box ... should i use EQ bass boost or rely on the cabin gain ...?
Old 17th February 2012, 02:07 AM   #6
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

The box does most of the filtering, although there is not much point on sending higher frequencies unless it simplifies instalation.

If you use a separate sub amp from a "sub out", adjust the gain with that, either in the head unit or on the amp. Set the cut off with the head unit. They sound pretty good with full range bass frequencies. (120,150)
Old 17th February 2012, 02:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I always prefer sealed in my various cars and sub setups. There are many factors for designing a car subwoofer system, not as easy as just specifying 4pi X output required etc.

Most of the time the biggest compromise is made in order to get the subwoofer to fit in the location which you want which sounds best yet doesn't take up too much room.
Old 17th February 2012, 02:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

If you just want bass and are concerned about space go for a basic sealed box. Its easy to get right and takes the least amount of space.

If you have tuning capability its like all audio design a bit of skill and a bit of magic. Only you can decide what truly sounds best but it is largely dependent on what your speakers up front can do.

Id say if you dont want localized bass you can tune around 100Hz 80HZ or best 60Hz but you dont want too big of a gap as it can be rather noticeable in this range. For a sealed box you dont have to set the infrasonic filter, but can use it if you want to push a lot of power and want to limit excursion.

Problem with sealed boxes is that distortion sets in fast if you push the volume.

most cars have a peak around 35-45HZ (cabin gain) Some like it some dont...base boost makes it more obvious and its best to set your gains at about 1/2 bass-boost and be careful not to clip the signal.
Old 17th February 2012, 02:42 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

ok ... since i have a sample test box (ported) ... i will check the sound n see how it sounds like ...
Old 17th February 2012, 07:26 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjmf View Post
ok ... since i have a sample test box (ported) ... i will check the sound n see how it sounds like ...
what is your box tuned too? you will likely need to set the infrasonic filter if you go that route. ported boxes are more efficient which might be a good thing with smaller drivers.
Where in MYS are you located? Chances are im not too far off from you.

Hide this!Advertise here!