Cardioid with a TH sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Art,

I said "The acoustic centre in a basreflex is in or near the back of the cab". Your example of the cone position (normally its just a couple of cm behind the cone) is considered to be IN the cab. Yes, there are other examples of basreflex where the acoustic centre is positioned at the back of the cab or even just outside the back. Generally speaking, for basreflex it stays close to the centre where you aspect it to be, which is different from horns or TH's.

The reason TH's have a better directivity pattern above their 1/2WL compared to FLH with the same frontal area size is because of the difference between true horn directivity and reflection from the TH front. The same theories still work for both situations and TH's don't have 'special forces' that are different from other systems.

We sometimes don’t agree, but it looks like we actually do agree about this subject :D

Last edited:
jbell - not I dont have the room etc for that.
Scenario is as follows:
12' from back wall. Trussing with 4 post. Each of the 3 sections is 9' (give or take an inch) I can use all 3 sections. Thinking about it now I dont see why I cant be right against the front of the trussing ... Normally I'm in between the outer 2 due to the LA located there. Maybe I will use some extra straps and strap them to the trussing itself.

And Danley replied that I should treat it as a normal speaker
when doing the math.

jbell - not I dont have the room etc for that.

How about this... and delay the outer 2 stacks by a couple milliseconds. That might do the trick.

Attachments

• flipc444.JPG
    flipc444.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 80
That is on the lines of what I have been working on in the sims Im doing.
Though being messing with delta style array layout trying to get the DJ area a reduction in SPL. (even with the already -10db rear. At 125-135 db (at that location) all night is very tiring. Something close to a heart shape is what I'm going for I reckon.

When siming the above.
Should you treat that as 4 cabs and align from center points?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.