MBM driver 4012HO vs Low Rider 18

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking to add a couple of mid bass subs to complement my 4 ED 16O.v2s in sealed boxes. This is for home theater use. The expected Freq range would be ~50hz to 120hz.

I only have 200wpc to drive the subs with so they need to be reasonably efficient. Two drivers that look good (in my budget) are the Definimax 4012HO and the Peavey Low Rider 18.

The 4012HO would be in a vented enclosure ~2.2 cu feet and tuned to about 50hz. I would need to high pass the woofer at around 40hz to keep it from bottoming out. I have a DCX 2496 that I will use to split the LFE channel to the ED low subs and the MBMs.

The Peavey Low Rider 18 would be in a sealed box around 4 cu feet which gives it a nice -3db point of around 50hz. I would not have to run a HP filter to protect the driver since I only have 200 watts.

I was just wondering if there was a sound quality preference between the 4012HO and Low Rider 18. I don't have any experience with either driver. They both seem to have about the same output with 200 watts. I am also open to alternative suggestions.

Thanks,
-Reinyn

I have some experience with the Peavey Low rider. I own 4 of them in 121 litre vented boxes. My only misgiving with the Peaveys (apart from them not being friendly to working in TH) is the differences between drivers, expect fluctuations between units to vary between 29-35hz.

Here is a measurement (red line) done using holmimpulse on grass in a big back yard:

main.php

col.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the ss15's? I googled for it and came up with a bunch of different subwoofers so I'm not exactly sure which one you mean.

I plan on using the midbass subs as stands for my L/R monitors and the main subs will only be a couple feet away. I don't think I will have issues with the delay, but if I do I think the DCX2496 can compensate for it.

thanks,
-Reinyn

For 50-120Hz why not Two ss15's?
Issues with setting up delays for the rest of the speakers in the system?

Well your mains are direct radiating correct?
You may already have some sort of group delay set up with the system for your current subs (albeit not much because they are sealed) So with a tapped horn midbass you would have to compensate for path length.

You could beef up the bracing and the thickness of the ply used to make the ss15, and it would be a great stand for your current speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.