Sofa Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• 2xDaytonAudioDC300-8_SofaSub_final_TL_Part2.JPG
    2xDaytonAudioDC300-8_SofaSub_final_TL_Part2.JPG
    727.4 KB · Views: 421
Awesome!

Yes it should be good for attenuating wall reflexes but not as good as thick felt thatalso work like a energy sink for wood vibrations.

Quilt battings of polyester is a perfect material to substitute 'speaker polyester fibers' as long as the weight/ density is held for the section damping I will suggest later. I guess a combination of denim+your egg crate foam would work well too.

Just a couple of clarifications.

The soundproofing and denim can only be used for minimizing wall vibrations, not for general stuffing like polyester batting.

If i use the soundproofing on the walls will I need to reduce the amount of polyester batting I use to keep the total density:volume ratio at the optimal for that section?

The soundproofing and denim can only be used for minimizing wall vibrations, not for general stuffing like polyester batting.

Right: The polyester battings' fibers should be packed more densely at the beginning of the line(where highest box pressure occurs) where attenuation is lowest for the longest wavelengths but higher for the shorter ones.

If i use the soundproofing on the walls will I need to reduce the amount of polyester batting I use to keep the total density:volume ratio at the optimal for that section?

Yes, The volume of polyester battens should be reduced in proportionality
to the volume of the added soundproofing material.

b:)

I'm curious to hear how you go with localisation. That can be the challenge with projects like this.

Good to see that you've used dual opposed driver mounting. That makes a huge difference. When you have it running, turn off one driver with music playing. You will notice box vibration jump right up.

What do you mean by localization? I haven't heard that in this context before

And i'm glad I went for that design too, I get far less vibration then it seems like I should and I get a ton of headroom for sudden bass hits from it.

Can you locate where the bass is coming from? Can you sit on your sub couch and get the impression that bass is coming from somewhere in between the main speakers, or do you at times notice bass coming from the sub couch?

Oh i got ya. It is not locatable as long as the crossover frequency is low enough, around 80Hz. My full rangers start to drop off around 150 Hz with a slow rolloff so theres a bit of a gap but not much. I'm not too worried about this though because I plan to make some BVR speakers soon.

Finished!

I finally finished the sofa. We went up to our cabin last weekend and I got all of the sound proofing material we had. I filled it up according to bjorno's model (thanks again!) and sealed it up.

After using it for months with the top just sitting on it unstuffed and getting used to the sound it is such a nice change to have it finished.

The sound is much more smooth now, it sounds much faster, as in delay is lower. When I play Sail (awolnation) one of my go to sub test songs the bass hit doesn't sound like it hangs around after it should be stopped anymore.

Localization is actually pretty good, better than it was. It hard to tell that the bass isn't coming from the main speakers, I attribute that to two things: the harmonics and upper range being reduced by the stuffing and the thing not vibrating nearly as much, giving less tactile clues to where it is.

The picture doesn't really show it but I did adhere to the model, the density changes at the first turn. I didn't put the finished picture on there because it looks the same as it did when the top was just sitting on it.

All in all I'd say its got the best performance to cost ratio ever. It cost me about $150 and it can bring the rapture with bass. Its able to reproduce concert levels easily, it seriously shakes the walls. It is an excellent example of a good enclosure making a okay driver sound really fantastic.

Using REW from my computers soundcard and internal mic (uncalibrated so not very accurate) and my ear it seems to have pretty flat response from about 100 to 30 Hz and then a slow rolloff with audible output (and definitely tactile) down to 20 Hz.

If I had to do it again with a much larger budget (not that I'm unhappy with it) I would probably put 2 or 4 large (15" or 18") long throw drivers in it and make it sealed. I would then use that just for very low frequency effects (10-30 hz) and make two small woofers to go from 30-100 Hz where the full rangers would take over. The two advantages would be better localization and lower extension. Just a thought...

Thanks for all of the input and help guys! Who knows, maybe someone else will come along and use the design, it's worth it. All my friends are jealous :D

Attachments

• sofastuffed.jpg
    sofastuffed.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 317
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.