Nautilus Front Loaded Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've seen the Nautilus sealed loudspeakers online, but I thought the golden mean might work in a horn design too. I have not modeled this to any specific driver yet. The images show dual 8" subs firing in on each other. The enclosure is ~40" tall and 5.5" wide. The length of the "line" is ~5.5feet. and expands using fibonacci's golden ratio.

I don't have any modeling software to see if this design might be effective, but I like the idea. :scratch:

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Nautilus Front Loaded Horn1.jpg
    Nautilus Front Loaded Horn1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 532
  • Nautilus Front Loaded Horn2.jpg
    Nautilus Front Loaded Horn2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 508
Thanks! I'll try to model it. I imagine I'll calculate for the small round chamber in the center and only one throat/mouth ratio since it is one continually expanding horn? I'm going to have to look at the forum you linked me to more closely. Many of these fields and their descriptions are above my current experience.

Wow! Thanks for all the great links and info. It took a while to go through it, but I'm glad there has been so much thought in this realm of horns. My original thought was to use the nautilus for a smooth mid-low end and supplement with tweets (and I still want to explore it), but maybe having a single driver setup would be nice for a different type of listening. When I see those Cornus on a wall I picture a single unit in mono as more of a relaxed "walking around the room" application since the imaging has been said to be a bit difficult and the room projection sound is said to be rich. Something to play on Sundays with coffee and menial tasks! With the panel setup you could hide an amp inside and a disc drive or ipod/aux mount either inside or on the front and make it a full self-contained unit that simply needs an outlet.

I'm going to mess around with some more designs until I've had my fill and decide to create some sawdust. I'll keep posting designs when I think of them. Hopefully you'll all comment and we'll get some mutual inspiration going.

Matt

Matt,
The wall mounted Cornu solves the problem of a “too small” mouth, as the wall becomes an extension of the mouth, but a relatively large diaphragm size makes for a very narrow high frequency dispersion pattern, not conducive to a relaxed "walking around the room" application.

Mixing a long FLH horn and a tweeter will either require time compensation (digital delay) or require the crossover point to be some multiple of the time offset, the two drivers will then be "in phase", even though the LF will lag behind the HF by several cycles.

Getting that type of a passive crossover correct makes the rest of the project seem trivial.

Art

Other spiral configurations

Well I've been fiddling with some more concepts. None are supposed to be a model to follow for a build, but more of ideas that could sound great and be conversation pieces or sound horrible (but still conversation pieces;)) They would obviously need to be customized and tweaked to work with your own drivers etc. I had them floating around in my head and wanted to share them. Please comment about the potential positives and negatives of these concepts.
The first is a quad horn (2 upper and 2 lower) that could be used as a TV stand or coffee table, or just a stand alone speaker enclosure. This enclosure uses a spiral configuration for the horns. There are 3 horizontal layers with the two dual horns in between them, The bottom most layer is solid and serves as the base (some sort of spikes/feet would be needed) Tho top is also solid. The middle layer which separates the upper and lower paired horns houses the drivers. There could be 2 total drivers or four total in this enclosure. The section image below shows the four driver configuration where two drivers are coupled together per side sandwiching the middle horizontal baffle. In this case one driver would be wired in phase the other out of phase. It might not create more output, but might be more responsive and increase sensitivity. Whether using two or four total drivers, if the upper set of horns had a slightly different height than the lower the combination of tuning frequency could possibly smooth apparent harmonics...?

The second is a circular enclosure with a tapered spiral transmission line modeled off a folded tapered t-line sub that I built a few months back for a home theater set up. Here's a link to that project ---> http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/195406-ht-line-array-t-line-build.html#post2687508
The one I built is pictured to the right of the circular enclosure. It uses a pair of Dayton dcs205-4 8" subs. The circular enclosure has the same size closed end and open end as the rectangular t-line for a 10:1 taper ratio. The drivers are positioned roughly 1/3 down the line from the closed end. The only real difference (theoretically) between the enclosure I built and this circular one is the spiral itself. The drivers are on opposing sides and are anchored to each other with hardwood dowels to stiffen the enclosure and to try to eliminate harmonics by balancing the movement of the drivers against each other. The TL I built sounds fantastic to me (Thank you all for this great forum which helped immensely with my research). So I think the spiral might sound just as good but has a bit more visual interest. It could be an end table if you threw some legs on it. The curved raindrop looking cutout could be visible or just be a void inside the box that is covered with the top and bottom walls (maybe filled with "great stuff" to eliminate any possible resonance). So there you have it. Don't keep your opinions and comments to yourself!

Attachments

• Spiral Horn Table.jpg
    Spiral Horn Table.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 376
  • Spiral Horn Table2.jpg
    Spiral Horn Table2.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 362
  • Spiral Horn Table3.jpg
    Spiral Horn Table3.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 362
  • Spiral TLine.jpg
    Spiral TLine.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Spiral TLine2.jpg
    Spiral TLine2.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 89
Please comment about the potential positives and negatives of these concepts.
Whether using two or four total drivers, if the upper set of horns had a slightly different height than the lower the combination of tuning frequency could possibly smooth apparent harmonics...?

The TL I built sounds fantastic to me (Thank you all for this great forum which helped immensely with my research). So I think the spiral might sound just as good but has a bit more visual interest. It could be an end table if you threw some legs on it.
Though your designs would have eye appeal, especially with plexiglass tops, very hard to build.

The TL designs will work OK for sub use without fill, but require fill to tame the peaks and dips if used full range, otherwise they sound hollow and ringy.

"If the upper set of horns had a slightly different height than the lower" you get two sets of ringey dingey, they don't cancel, two honks don't make a right.

The fill needed to get rid of peaks and dips would detract visually if a clear top was employed, without the clear tops they are a lot of work for no sonic improvement and more limited visual attraction.

I do like the "Yin Yang" shape, that definitely has coffee table sub appeal.

Art

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.