Danley TH-221 drawings ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi matsj,

Well, at least we should offer something to read. It's not like this area has never been talked about, maybe start here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/164567-riccis-dual-b-c-21sw152-build-thread.html

and go on to:

Danley's new monster... - AVS Forum

The AVS Forum thread has a great deal of information freely offered by the good people of DSL. Bye the way, they also offer extensive information on this as well as their other subs-on their website:

DANLEY | TAPPED HORN SUBWOOFER

And as you're saying "subs" I would recommend structural reinforcements for the "new place".

Regards,

I'm sorry I had it wrong. He said the DBH218LC would beat 4 TH118's down low.
The TH221 will beat 4 TH50's down low. Wow!!

Adjusted to one meter the TH-50 is rated at 124 dB at 22 Hz, 132 dB at 63 Hz.
TH-221 is 138 dB, 145 dB above 78 Hz.

The TH-221 is about 8 dB down at 20 Hz from 40 Hz, the TH-50 about 4 dB down, four TH-50 may have slightly more output at 20 Hz, while the TH-221 would have far more upper output.

There is an “economy of scale” when cabinets using 21” drivers are built as large as the TH-221 (60 x 60 x 28 inches, 58.33 cubic feet), which though just a bit larger than two TH-50, can put out similar level to four.
The 103 dB one watt one meter sensitivity with response down to 20 Hz is impressive even for a cabinet of that size.

That said, a pair of Josh Ricci’s Gjallerhorn (using an 18” driver) would be very close in output to the TH-221 using slightly less volume, 45 x45 x24 inches, 28.125 cubic feet x 2= 56.25 cubic feet.
A pair at one meter would do at least 134 dB at 20 Hz, 140.4 at 40 Hz, slightly more 20 Hz, slightly less 40 Hz than the TH-221.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/189784-gjallerhorn.html

The Gjallerhorn would be a good choice if response similar to the TH-221 is desired, especially if portability is a factor.

The sketch below shows one possible fold pattern that would fit in the dimensions of the TH-221 and achieve a similar response.

Art Welter

Attachments

• Huge TH.jpg
    Huge TH.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 888
Hi Art,

Sensitivity at what? This way it is an empty word... recalculate it to 1w/1m in 2Pi and you will see the sensitivity figure in the normal context.

DSL rates the two ohm TH-221 at 109 dB (28.3v @10 meter half space, referenced to 2.83V at 1 meter) I simply deducted 6 dB (recalculated ;^) from that figure to account for the sensitivity at one watt one meter.

Attachments

• TH-221.jpg
    TH-221.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 607
Hi Dan,

Minimum impedance is much closer to 1.65 Ohm than 2 Ohm
Only below 20 Hz, where DSL recommends a 20Hz BW 24 HP.
If the HP is employed, the lower impedance should not be a problem with a good 2 ohm rated amp.

The IEC standard (IEC60268-3) allows any impedance above the rated value, but limits the impedance below. It does not allow the rated impedance to fall below the 80 % of the nominal value at any frequency down to and including DC.

1.65 ohms is 82.5% of 2 :D.

Looks like Ivan took some on line chats we had to heart.

Art

Hi Dan and Art,

Dan I'm not worried but most people don't seem to realise that 2,83V/m is not the same as 1w/1m.

Art, this driver is an example of a driver that drops its minimum impedance under high power. Btw most modern 21"or larger do give a different impedance plot between low current measurements and high current measurements. Any idea what throat opening he is using in this cab?

I am aware of ZERO speakers measured at 1w/1m, I've never seen an actual plot. IMO the 1w folks around here seem to be working toward a current drive based measurement and IMO it's of very limited value.

Below are 2 1w plots, please comment on what represents 1w to you...

Attachments

• 1w1.png
    1w1.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 578
  • 1w2.png
    1w2.png
    24 KB · Views: 583
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.