Suggestions Creating Subwoofer Box(s) - 56 cuft available

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a total of 76w x 80d x 16h (56cuft) that I have available. Which seems to be a good amount of space for 4-15's in a t-line configuration or a tapped horn.

Suggestions on box configuration and or subs would be greatly appreciated. I have not bought any drivers or amplifiers yet. I will be using pro amplifiers.

I do like the bass loud but sound quality is my #1 goal.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Hi,

How about a design similar to the DTS-10, but with the TC Sounds Epic 12 (for sale at Parts Express):

Regards,

Attachments

• Dual_Epic_12in_TH_Input.jpg
    Dual_Epic_12in_TH_Input.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 579
  • Dual_Epic_12in_TH_SPL.jpg
    Dual_Epic_12in_TH_SPL.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 568
Post #5

Hi 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick,

Because of the price point I would prefer the TC Sounds Epic 12. If you're thinking in the direction of a transmission line: since the advent of Hornresp and AkAbak I would not recommend the simple TL format any more (OK go ahead just shoot me :)), but I would go with bjorno's favorite the T-TQWT instead. Two of the 12s in a T-TQWT would be as loud as one of the 18s for a given power within the 12s Xmax limitation, and with two drivers you can reverse mount one to provide you with additional distortion cancellation.

I'll attach a quick price v. displacement comparison:

Regards,

Attachments

• 18_v_12_comparison.jpg
    18_v_12_comparison.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 564
Hi again,

I took a real rough run at it, and four T-TQWT boxes, each with two TC Sounds Epic 12", would fit into that space just nicely. They would be single fold, quite easy to build. 76" x 16" front face for the four.

Regards,

Thank you very much. The different characteristics of T-TQWT vs Tapped Horns?

I was wanting to use 18's for the deep bass characteristics. Also the T-line, as it is described, is much like the response of a sealed box but with the extra output of a ported enclosure.

I am not opposed to tapped horns, Im just not sure how to design them. (I am currently learning)

Ok I will look into tapped horns.

Is there any way, if I increase the height to 18, that I can fit two TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" in that space in a TH configuration? The reviews I have read on this subwoofer are VERY impressive.
The LMS Ultra 5400 18" is 11.54" deep, allowing for 3 x 3/4" plywood, would allow for a 2" throat depth with only a 16" height and a .21" air gap above the magnet.

It is very "doable" with 16" height, with the speaker laying flat (cone pointing up or down), which may result in downward cone sag. If that presents a problem, the cabinet could be flipped from time to time.

That said, there are plenty of good sounding drivers that cost far less per displacement than the TC Sounds drivers, though there are few that have as much per driver.

Designing for extension below 30-35 Hz will cost dearly in SPL output, and is not needed unless cinema effects are a primary concern, so using drivers with a very low Fs (such as the LMS Ultra 5400 18") is not so useful for dance/PA use.

Hi Y'all,

I wasn't talking about 4 x 12", I was talking about 4 enclosures with 2 drivers each, or roughly eight TC Sound Epic 12" :) in T-TQWT boxes. If you can't do structural damage with that, you're just not trying. I'll post a model later.

Regards,

Attachments

• 18_v_12_comparison_2.jpg
    18_v_12_comparison_2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Hi 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick,

Take a look at Josh Ricci's Gjallerhorn if you are conviced that you need the LMS Ultra 5400, it's very well documented. Naturally, you'd have to adapt it to your form factor.
And the promised model of the dual 12" T-TQWT:

Regards

Attachments

• 80x16x19_No_1_Input.jpg
    80x16x19_No_1_Input.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 285
  • 80x16x19_No_1_SPL.jpg
    80x16x19_No_1_SPL.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Hi 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick,

Take a look at Josh Ricci's Gjallerhorn if you are conviced that you need the LMS Ultra 5400, it's very well documented. Naturally, you'd have to adapt it to your form factor.
And the promised model of the dual 12" T-TQWT:

Regards

Thanks for the model. I really appreciate it! I am really looking into the 8-12's. Is there any way I can drop the height to 14" without affecting that design much?

Hi 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick,

Post #19: "... Is there any way I can drop the height to 14"..."

Yes, that sound quite feasible. I haven't done a drawing on this one yet, but of the top of my head that would be a good height. You would be looking at a combined front face of 76"W x 14"H; the overall depth would be 80"D; the individual boxes would be 76/4 = 19"W.

I can see if I find the time to draw something up around those dimensions, if you are interested.

Regards,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.