jbl gto804 tapped horn/ folded horn - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2012, 04:16 AM   #91
diyAudio Member

Hey folks, I came across this thread trying to find more info on tapped horns and for a suitable design to build. I'll admit, I'm a complete newb when it comes to both tapped horns and sketchup, but I was looking at this design and wondered about the rest of the dimensions needed to build it and if it is suitable for my woofers which are the Infinity versions of the JBL GTO804. My woofers are the REF860W, here are the specs http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Bo...860W_final.pdf

Would the design from NEO Dan below(page 5 post 45) work with these drivers? How can I get the rest of the dimensions needed to build it? Many thanks in advance.

By the way, this is intended to go in my car. For power, I have about 200 rms per woofer available, subsonic filter is adjustable between 20-50Hz at up to 24dB slope. It will be low-passed somewhere around 60-80Hz. My main goal is excellent sound quality, extension and output, in that order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post
Do you think this is small enough?
Old 19th June 2012, 12:02 PM   #92
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Default Infinity-Ref-860w

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilime75 View Post
Hey folks, I came across this thread trying to find more info on tapped horns and for a suitable design to build. I'll admit, I'm a complete newb when it comes to both tapped horns and sketchup, but I was looking at this design and wondered about the rest of the dimensions needed to build it and if it is suitable for my woofers which are the Infinity versions of the JBL GTO804. My woofers are the REF860W, here are the specs http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Bo...860W_final.pdf

Would the design from NEO Dan below(page 5 post 45) work with these drivers? How can I get the rest of the dimensions needed to build it? Many thanks in advance.

By the way, this is intended to go in my car. For power, I have about 200 rms per woofer available, subsonic filter is adjustable between 20-50Hz at up to 24dB slope. It will be low-passed somewhere around 60-80Hz. My main goal is excellent sound quality, extension and output, in that order.
Hi,

Here is an HR example of using a Infinity Ref-860w driver in a 65 L T-TQWT:

Note: the port of this design should point the same direction as the driver fronts where the distance from the midpoint between the drivers to the port is~8 cm.

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2xInfinity_Ref-860w_65L_TQWT.JPG (678.3 KB, 338 views)
Old 19th June 2012, 01:24 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Hello bjorno, thank you for the reply. Have you built this or used the Infinity REF860W? If so, what was your opinion of it? It appears to me, according to the plots, that it will work well in my intended pass band of 25 to about 70 Hz. Sadly, I don't really know what to make of the rest of the plots. Is this a good choice of woofer for a tapped horn? How can I use the info you have provided to design/build an enclosure? Many thanks.
Old 20th June 2012, 07:47 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hello bjorno, thank you for the reply. Have you built this or used the Infinity REF860W? If so, what was your opinion of it? It appears to me, according to the plots, that it will work well in my intended pass band of 25 to about 70 Hz. Sadly, I don't really know what to make of the rest of the plots. Is this a good choice of woofer for a tapped horn? How can I use the info you have provided to design/build an enclosure? Many thanks
the design done for the jbl gto804 was for me, but sadly i still havent built it, as ive stupidly bough the q acoustics 2070 subwoofer, and they forgot to mention the rediculous amounts of port noise ! so thats my next plan, build a new box for the 6.5" subs that come out of it
Old 11th July 2012, 02:03 AM   #95
cyro99 is offline cyro99  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Hi Dan,
I 'm about to use a GTO-804 on my first project and from searching on Google, I found this interesting thread.
If I only want to use a single GTO-804, which parts should I modify?
(Assuming the parameters are similar to what 2009thread1 wanted.)
Old 14th July 2012, 01:19 AM   #96
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
FYI:

A ~1 cu.ft T-QWP suggestion using a single JBL GTP-804:

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JBL-GTO804_stuffed_OD-TL_T-QWP.JPG (649.1 KB, 221 views)
Old 23rd August 2012, 07:54 AM   #97
diyAudio Member

Hi, bjorno.

That is real nice ...
I will look into it.

P.S.: Sorry for the late reply .. been busy preparing for the holiday ...
Old 23rd August 2012, 07:58 AM   #98
diyAudio Member

Hi bjorno,

Thank you for the calculation.
That is nice.
I will look into it ...

P.S.: sorry for the late reply .. been busy preparing for the holiday ...
Old 26th August 2012, 12:13 AM   #99
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

You wanted a compact TH, here it is (about 60 liters as is). Adjust the L23 and L34 sliders to modify your desired low end extension and roll off on the low end respectively.

Note that I've choked the horn off at point S2 to clean up the SPL response.

You really should try to learn hornresp., if at all possible. Plenty of folks on this DIY forum to help you along. Note that I had a small error in the input screen (didn't account for the fact that that this is a 4 ohm driver, so real word SPL will be somewhat higher).

Also note that these curves are in free space i.e. suspended in mid air in the middle of a corn field. If you can tuck the cabinet into a corner, efficiency will go up dramatically.
Attached Images
File Type: png TH.PNG (82.1 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by zobsky; 26th August 2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 26th August 2012, 01:10 AM   #100
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

You mean SPL will be lower because you are showing 2w nominal.

Hide this!Advertise here!