Narrow space - tube sub - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2012, 11:57 PM   #1
johnr66 is offline johnr66  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Narrow space - tube sub

I have a desire to build a small sub for a narrow space. I was wondering about firing a 4" or 5-1/4" driver in to a tapered pipe so that the opposite end from the driver is a smaller port. This seems to be what Bose does with the wave radio except that in this case, the tube is not folded up.

The sub would be for general low level listening. Not expecting major SPL, just some reach down to around 40 Hz as the mains speakers are weak below 70Hz.
Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 02:43 AM   #2
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

So pretty much a transmission line without folding the line to have the output on the same plane as the driver?
Old 2nd January 2012, 03:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

You could scale this down a bit...

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_elpipeo.pdf

Last edited by cochleus; 2nd January 2012 at 03:30 AM. Reason: fixed link
Old 2nd January 2012, 09:55 AM   #4
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr66 View Post
I have a desire to build a small sub for a narrow space. I was wondering about firing a 4" or 5-1/4" driver in to a tapered pipe so that the opposite end from the driver is a smaller port. This seems to be what Bose does with the wave radio except that in this case, the tube is not folded up.

The sub would be for general low level listening. Not expecting major SPL, just some reach down to around 40 Hz as the mains speakers are weak below 70Hz.
Thanks
Hi,

Here is a suggestion of very small footprint subs (single-folded) both reaching below 40 Hz that should be listened at short distances:

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dayton_ND105-4_T-TQWP_T-TQWT.JPG (397.7 KB, 165 views)
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:24 AM   #5
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

I would build a Bose Wave Cannon.

For 40hz the overall length should be about 84". The front pipe length should be about 1/4 the total length, or about 21". Ideally, the ends of the pipe would be 42" apart, as the Bose car systems do.

Click the image to open in full size.

4" cardboard mailing tube, or 4" schedule 40 PVC pipe would be fine.

The original Bose radio-cassette boom-box used a single 4-1/2" driver driving an 84" (total length) plastic labyrinth, and it impressed me (other than the price).
Old 3rd January 2012, 01:23 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I decided to do a double fold TL in plexi. I built this box this afternoon. Internal length is 29" long with 5 x 5.5" folded tube. Calculated resonance is 39Hz and that is exactly the frq where the cone moves least. Driver is a 5-1/4" out of an old small speaker. I have no specs on it. Bass is really impressive from such a tiny driver. I'll have to try more TLs

Geez. Only 1 day into the new year and I already built a speaker.

Edit: I was playing some sine wave sweeps and get decent bass starting at 28Hz in my listening room.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by johnr66; 3rd January 2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old 3rd January 2012, 04:05 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Nice job John! And fast too! I like the see-through look. Maybe some LED lighting?

Bose has stacks of patents on "pressure wave transducing" if your brain is up to it.

WARNING: TL's are addictive
Old 3rd January 2012, 01:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochleus View Post
Nice job John! And fast too! I like the see-through look. Maybe some LED lighting?

Bose has stacks of patents on "pressure wave transducing" if your brain is up to it.

WARNING: TL's are addictive
Thanks! I have some acrylic fabrication experience and had a lot of those scrap strips lying around. I'll probably try a larger one in MDF. Thicker acrylic is very expensive and gets very heavy.

I need to put stuffing in the box as there is some pipe resonance, like the sound when talking into a long pipe. I do like the LED idea.

As expected, cone excursion goes huge below tuning. The single ended chip amp with single 9 volt supply makes the cone do 5mm which must me near the xmax of the small driver.
Old 3rd January 2012, 05:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Try rolling off the band-width (at both extremes) going into the waveguide. Also, you can drive the pipe at points other than the very end (at the closed end all of the possible standing waves have a common pressure node and are thus maximally excited). If the driver is positioned correctly this can also eliminate what is called "end-cancellation" where the wavelength that is equal to the pipe length emerging out-of-phase with the exterior pressure wave. Another option is that you could drive two separate waveguides, one on either side of the driver (what djk was referring to in post #5) Bose patent #4628528
I'll also refer you to Quarter-wave.com, a really awesome site.

Hide this!Advertise here!