Isobaric - less then $20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2011, 12:18 AM   #1
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Isobaric - less then $20

Some may be familiar with the design, although I used cardboard tubes instead of a slot port.

Also ran this in WinISD and Perfect Box; the results were similar so went with a 1cf box and dual ports 16 long [the next box I may go back to a slot port]

The woofers are 6 Factory Buyout, I bought 4 for $8 each.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-114

They modeled okay; it does have a bit of a shark tail contour, 3db increase at 25hz. Ive been adding a little extra at the bottom for such a long time I dont think I would like anything else.

This Isobaric box appears to have some power, a few more easy steps and Ill do a final glue up. I like to clamp and check the tuning before final assembly. I was pleasantly surprised, the tuning and the response was as expected (and some 25hz bass).

Not a bad little woofer, the surround is light rubber; I wish it had more than 4 holes [they say never drill a basket].

The laminate rings are pretty easy, it only took three rings; i.e. the woofers are 2- apart.

*I also added a 10" PR ($18) to the last order, I wouldn't mind trying that with the next build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040630.JPG (259.7 KB, 2639 views)
File Type: jpg P1040634.JPG (264.4 KB, 2474 views)
Old 29th December 2011, 12:32 AM   #2
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

Where do you put them all, do you put bows on them and "gift" them away?
Old 29th December 2011, 01:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sometimes I give them away (no bow) OR for trade. Sounds like you would like to have one NEO.

I'd go for the MCM 8” versions; you'll be doing back flips in the back yard if you hear one of them.
Old 29th December 2011, 01:42 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Although I do have the drivers on the shelf I'm not a small sub person. I look at your subs and think about the >$30 sheet of MDF, if I'm buying a sheet of material I might as well get all the box/performance out of it I can.
Old 29th December 2011, 02:03 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

My first post ever on diy. Your isobaric inspires me to get to a project I've had on the shelf for a few years. I have 8 vifa 8" woffers from a speaker that ended up not working. I want to build a double isobaric with 4 per side and mate that up with a 4" vifa mid and a vifa tweeter.Crossover will be simple to start as that is a very weak area for me.This will take time but I"ve been sitting on these drivers for a few years so what's a while longer? Thanks for the kick in the pants.
Old 29th December 2011, 02:21 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

If I was to describe the sound, it’s a slam, bubble and/or chug. I have a MCM 8” Iso in the shop, it reaches out and grabs you.

The two in the HT I moved up on 12” metal stands; should have done that long ago, it was a big improvement (by adding detail in the bass).

I find them remarkable.

8 working Vifa woofers? What’s the model #?
Old 29th December 2011, 02:30 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

What are you using to power them, plate amps?
Old 29th December 2011, 03:38 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I don't use plate amps (do have one on the bench) I've been using, Rotel, 120 watt stereo amps, e.g. RB 980BX. I had an Adcom 60watt stereo amp powering one for a long time, it had a very nice sound.

I'll try this 6-1/2” Iso in shop, HT and maybe even the truck cab; that 25hz would sound great in a cab.
Old 29th December 2011, 03:40 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Great photos, it makes me want to build one too. I've think you've got $200 worth of clamps on top of $16 worth of drivers. Hee hee.
Old 29th December 2011, 03:48 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Clamps are not that bad $$ ~ HD has a nice selection, buy a couple a year, they build up fast.

Hey weights work well too, 25lb – 40lb dumbbells work great for “clamping”.

Last edited by ODougbo; 29th December 2011 at 03:48 AM. Reason: lb

Hide this!Advertise here!