What could be done with 8 Precision Devices PD12SB30?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.

I'm lost for ideas of what to do with my 8 PD 12" woofers. I'm considering selling them, but will probably not get much for them. Therefore I wonder if they could play a more reasonable role in a second soundsystem. (They don't fit in my main system, since it already consists of dual JBL-2226 midwoofers/side - simply too smallish ;) ).

I do want a second system coupled to the TV, and I have a miniDSP 2-ch. aktive crossover to feed the loudspeakersystem. Let's say I could build something for the 8 PDs from 80-120Hz, and down. (Or pehaps I could build something fancy, and get a better sale for a complete system, than for the individual drivers?)

My problem is that I'm not used to sim/manipulate such high EBP-drivers. What options do I have if I want SQ down to at least 30Hz? Preferably not crazy big enclosures.

Precision Devices International Limited
Fs 50.238 Hz
L1 0.999 mH
L2 1.773 mH
Res 87.286 Ohms
RMSE-load 0.905 Ohms
Qts 0.297
RMSE-free 1.718 Ohms
Qms 5.024
Vas 58.945 Litres
Qes 0.316
Mms 67.410 grams
Sd 530.93 sq cm
Cms 148.887 µM/N
R2 8.105 Ohms
BL 19.228T/m
Xmax 7.00 mm
Re 5.493 Ohms

My initial idea is to build 2 separate enclusures with 4 woofers. 2 woofers facing forward, and 2 woofers facing backwards. Sealed and push/pull-coupled pairs. 2 ohms imp, but I think Hypex or proamps could do the job. EQed to desired response. What do you think about that idea?

Thanks.:)

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I do want a second system coupled to the TV, and I have a miniDSP 2-ch. aktive crossover to feed the loudspeakersystem. Let's say I could build something for the 8 PDs from 80-120Hz, and down. (Or pehaps I could build something fancy, and get a better sale for a complete system, than for the individual drivers?)

My initial idea is to build 2 separate enclusures with 4 woofers. 2 woofers facing forward, and 2 woofers facing backwards. Sealed and push/pull-coupled pairs. 2 ohms imp, but I think Hypex or proamps could do the job. EQed to desired response. What do you think about that idea?

yes
isobaric 'clamshell'
2 woofers each box
with 8 woofers you have enough to build 4 'subs'
with EQ they would do fine as high power subs

or you could build 2 subs with double isobaric clamshell mounting
that might be something really special ;)

btw, series/paralel combination would give you a better 5ohm load

Attachments

• 12.png
    12.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 161
yes
isobaric 'clamshell'
2 woofers each box
with 8 woofers you have enough to build 4 'subs'
with EQ they would do fine as high power subs

or you could build 2 subs with double isobaric clamshell mounting
that might be something really special ;)

btw, series/paralel combination would give you a better 5ohm load
4 would be better than 2, as long as you have discrete level and delay control.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.