REL subwoofer + high pass filter in main speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2011, 02:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default REL subwoofer + high pass filter in main speakers

Has onyone tried this, implementing a REL SW with the main speakers crossed over with a HP filter at say, 80 or 100 hz. There are advantages in not having the main spekaers running full range. I know the REL design does not call for thsi, but then, one could not declare the main speakers -if small- as full range in HT setup.
Old 14th November 2012, 04:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I found this old, and apparently un answered question. I'm curious about the same thing with my Rythmik subs.

I used the subs built in high pass to "filter" the music to the main amp and speakers. It threw a wet blanket over the sound.

Next, i fed the power amp directly from the pre amp, fidelity restored!

I wonder if there is a high pass option, to relieve my amp and full rangers from struggling with low frequencies, that doesn't compromise sound quality.
Old 14th November 2012, 09:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default REL SW and Rythmik

I solved my original question. If one uses REL SW's one has to use the main speakers full range, without a high pass filter. I tried it with a REL SW and it did not work well.

To answer your question in relation to the Rhythmik SW I can answer it from my experience with my Vandersteen SW which is designed to work with a high pass filter set at 80 hz in the main preamp.

With the Rhythmik, you can also do that, but you need to implement the high level connection to the SW, that is, connect the Rhythmik high level inputs to the main amplifier speaker outputs. Believe me, it should work much better than the low level -or line level - rca connection-

But you need a high pass first order filter for your main speakers which you accomplish by installing a series cap in the preamp output. The value of that cap depends on the input impedance of your main amp and the crossover frequency you select. It should be between 60 to 80 hz.

The advantage of dinf it this way is that the SW amp receives the information of the main amp nad thus reproduces the bass with the same sonic qualities as if the main speakers and amp would produce it.

If your input main amp impedance is 100K ohms and you select 80 hz, the value of that cap would be 0.02 uf. If it is in the 50k range it would double that or 0.04 uf

Hope this helps Try it.
Old 14th November 2012, 09:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Manolo,

Thanks so much for this "input", ha ha hah.

I might be confused about what you're suggesting. If I put a high pass cap between pre-amp and power amp, then feed the subwoofers with speaker level output (from that power amp), then the subwoofers aren't getting bass frequency information -- it's being rolled off after the pre-amp output. Right?

If I feed both power amp and subwoofers from different pre-amp output RCA's (I have two outputs), then I can high pass the audio going to the main amp/speakers, and feed the Subs with the unfiltered full spectrum audio to do their thing with (low pass, then amplify, then drive the sub speakers).

I must have something wrong here, since you've got yours working well.

Thanks, Brenton
Old 14th November 2012, 09:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

One problem I'm seeing with driving the Rythmiks with the pre-amp is that I've got some hummmmmm.
Old 14th November 2012, 10:46 PM   #6
sreten is online now sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

If you first order high pass the input of a power amplifier at 80 to 110Hz,
and then feed the sub from the anplifer output you need an inverse 1st
order bass boost somewhere to restore the correct low bass balance.

Could be built into the lead feeding the sub as a passive circuit.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 14th November 2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 15th November 2012, 02:50 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks Sreten, that makes perfect sense!
Old 15th November 2012, 10:42 AM   #8
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wha' DIYa know? View Post
One problem I'm seeing with driving the Rythmiks with the pre-amp is that I've got some hummmmmm.
Try lifting the ground on the power cord.
Old 15th November 2012, 04:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that tip, Doc.

Hide this!Advertise here!