SS15 build x8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm part way through my build of 8 SS15s. i have finished all the pre assembly work. i'm taking the next few weeks off for the holidays. i have about 42 hours into it so far. i changed it up a little and added a brace along the entire back of the cabinet and added a reflector to seal up the handle holes in one corner.

more photos can be seen here at this link.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have a question about this design, what happens if i scale it up?
In a regular horn it's possible, but TH's are usually just being wider.
I have a birch ply box measuring 70cm/28" X 90cm/36" X 60cm/24"
The ss15 has scalable size 60cm/24" X 75cm/30" and driver 15"
Scaling up everything makes:
60x70/60=70 cm
75x70/60=87,5 cm
15"x70/60= 17,5"

Very close to the box i have with an 18" driver

This would be easy.
Perhaps I'm better of modelling it all over in hornresp?
adding path lenght until the system volume reaches the volume of the cab.

You should hollow out that big brace to prevent a bit of low frequency loss. Other than that - looks great! Keep up the good work and let us know your impressions. Will you be measuring the output of these cabs?
You mean like he did here ;^)?

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,404
I got the first 3 partially glued up last weekend and a 4th one glued up all the way so i could listen to it. all i can say is WOW 1 sounds great! i cant even imagine what 8 will sound like. i woke up the sleeping baby while testing, the wife was a little mad at me.

2 corner reflectors need to be added and the last side.

The finished one whistles and chuffs lots of air out of the holes in the back where the casters bolt on and through the speakon connector holes. will sound better when the holes are sealed up.

I do a lot of proms and homecomings. i already have a huge light system and I need a large sound system to go with it. i'm hoping i can book more proms when i have a system that can put out lots of bass.

will be gluing the other 4 next weekend. PL premium is sticky stuff. it gets on everything. don't forget your rubber gloves!

bob

Last edited:
I have a question about this design, what happens if i scale it up?
In a regular horn it's possible, but TH's are usually just being wider.
I have a birch ply box measuring 70cm/28" X 90cm/36" X 60cm/24"
The ss15 has scalable size 60cm/24" X 75cm/30" and driver 15"
Scaling up everything makes:
60x70/60=70 cm
75x70/60=87,5 cm
15"x70/60= 17,5"

Very close to the box i have with an 18" driver

This would be easy.
Perhaps I'm better of modelling it all over in hornresp?
adding path lenght until the system volume reaches the volume of the cab.

Iv'e been thinking the same thing. I'm about to re-box 4 18"s. I looked at Xoc1's TH-18 and it is just a little bit to big and won't fit in my transport. My maximum height restriction is 95mm.

col.

Loos like we have to sim it for ourselves. If i can get the right hornresp sim-screen for ss15 it should be quite easy to scale up all measurements including driver to get a sim for a 18" 60x70x90 version.

But I'm a bit confused about this tapped horn simulation, can anyone point me to the right input screen for jbell ss15?

I got the first 3 partially glued up last weekend and a 4th one glued up all the way so i could listen to it. all i can say is WOW 1 sounds great! i cant even imagine what 8 will sound like. i woke up the sleeping baby while testing, the wife was a little mad at me.
bob
hi bob.
looks good(sorry about the wife:D)

do you have any means to measure the responce of one and multyple subs.
the reason i ask is,there is a discusion going on here ,about wether multyple tapped horns lower the f3 corner as to 1 tapped horn.
some say it doesn't ,hornresponse says it does.
it would be intresting to see the outcome.

grtz erik

Iv'e been thinking the same thing. I'm about to re-box 4 18"s. I looked at Xoc1's TH-18 and it is just a little bit to big and won't fit in my transport. My maximum height restriction is 95mm.
col.
Loos like we have to sim it for ourselves. If i can get the right hornresp sim-screen for ss15 it should be quite easy to scale up all measurements including driver to get a sim for a 18" 60x70x90 version.

But I'm a bit confused about this tapped horn simulation, can anyone point me to the right input screen for jbell ss15?
Scaling up the SS15 takes a bit of patience.
The SS15 and the TH18 have the same internal width 533 / 535 mm, no problem there! It could be wider depending on construction and timber cutting reqirements.
The 18 version would probably require 18mm Ply.
There are scaling issues as the SS15 is carefully 'compromised' to allow it to be cut from one 8' x 4' sheet, and you don't need to with the bigger cabinet.
I had some time on my hands and came up with this version.
Note the S2 dimension does not completely follow the model, Its an idea I am working on at the moment. The dip in the sim at 100Hz will probably be smaller due to inductance and the smaller throat size. Width is 533 internal at the moment.
The dimensions could be varied a bit to suit. but are all related to each other in differing ways...
Current Driver is the B&C TBX100. What driver do you have?
Regards Xoc1

Attachments

• JBC 18.jpg
    JBC 18.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 974
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.