SS15 build x8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fhperez: nice photos. everything is so nice and clean. are those qspot 260s i see?

bob

No, those are not the qsopt 260, the are 60watt LED moving heads... Brand new actually, that was their first event...

Depending on the venue layout, and coverage desired, center, side or spaced arrays are all what "should " be done.

That's true especially with how much output comes out of 4, compared to 2... I've done some venues that I can get away with one per side and you can still hear and feel the bass really good, and another venue, just a tad smaller and I had to use all four, center stacked to get satisfactory results.

Thanks for your pics... I know sometimes I get caught up in, "can I get a db more if I do..." kind of thing.... I love seeing pics showing folks having fun.

After all... if it's not fun, you're not doing it right....

thanks

LOL, we all do, I still want more db and more ground shaking bass at times, but I don't have the room for 4 more speakers in my truck, so now I am thinking about an upgrade, but at the same time I have to weigh (no pun intended) the weight vs spl question. These things are so light and so compact that, I don't know if I want heavier speakers and the back pains they would bring.

Sometimes I play with a band and they bring insane amount of speakers... Let me find that picture... I played with one band who brought out 4 Cerwin Vegas and I cant recall if it was 2 or 4 JBL srx tops... They sounded horrible, where as I with my 4 SS15 and 2 EV zx5's actually sounded cleaner and bass carried well all around the room... The band members even came up to me and told me my system sounded real good...

i got a little bit done this weekend. i shaved the glue off the outside of the boxes with my router and cut and installed corner blocks that will be used to hold the grill. next weekend will be bondo and lots of sanding.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

bob

Originally Posted by weltersys
Depending on the venue layout, and coverage desired, center, side or spaced arrays are all what "should " be done.
That's true especially with how much output comes out of 4, compared to 2... I've done some venues that I can get away with one per side and you can still hear and feel the bass really good, and another venue, just a tad smaller and I had to use all four, center stacked to get satisfactory results.

I still want more db and more ground shaking bass at times, but I don't have the room for 4 more speakers in my truck, so now I am thinking about an upgrade, but at the same time I have to weigh (no pun intended) the weight vs spl question. These things are so light and so compact that, I don't know if I want heavier speakers and the back pains they would bring.
Going from two to four is a 6 dB increase, quite a lot.

Unfortunately, multiple tapped horns don't result in a lower F3.
If you want more "ground shaking bass", you probably need to go with a cabinet that goes lower, not just more cabinets.

I was using four cabinets smaller than the SS15, I am now using two cabinets that take up the same volume (less than four SS15) and find them easier to deal with, with less back pains.

Art

I was using four cabinets smaller than the SS15, I am now using two cabinets that take up the same volume (less than four SS15) and find them easier to deal with, with less back pains.

Art

Which are they Art?

Art
Which are they Art?
The smaller cabinets were a dual Lab 12 bass reflex, the larger cabinets the Keystone sub. The dual Lab 12 has way more output below 50 Hz than a SS15, the SS15 has way more output above 50 Hz. The Keystone sub loaded with the B&C 18SW115-4 has way more output throughout the sub range, but is larger, heavier, and more $$ than the SS15.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/185588-keystone-sub-using-18-15-12-inch-speakers.html

Nice build!

And interesting I run 12 of the SS15's and I do see a lower F3.
Stack of 6 at 33 Hz. Never measured 4 but I run that at 40 at 2 at 44 hz (24DB LR) Next time I have time with the full setup I will record the measurements. Probably April.

Measured vertical vs horizontal and that made a difference
with horizontal winning out.

One thing about this build I'm curious about is the location
of the handles and the added bracing's effect on out put.

And casters? It only weighs 58lbs total. Do you tape them?

I use the Dayton speaker grills.
The circular one. And does it rattle? Everything does at 140 plus DB. :)

Makes me want to go ahead and build more... to bad Im broke and paying off all the toys I bought last year. Just 24 more and I'm done. I swear! LOL

FilipC, it was your stack of 12 that inspired me to do this build.

bondo, sanding, and painting. i'm getting close to the end.

i have purchased some Panasonic capsules so i can make a mic and do some measurements. i too am interested in seeing how the handles and extra brace will effect the sound.

what software is everyone using to do measurements? i'm leaning towards REW.

bob

And interesting I run 12 of the SS15's and I do see a lower F3.
Stack of 6 at 33 Hz. Never measured 4 but I run that at 40 at 2 at 44 hz (24DB LR) Next time I have time with the full setup I will record the measurements. Probably April.

And casters? It only weighs 58lbs total. Do you tape them?
A bungee cord wrapped around casters will stop the resonance rattle.

So far I have seen no TH measurements showing a lower F3 in multiples.

I would be very interested to see your response curves, if you could start with a single, then measure two, four, eight and 12 would be great.

Preferably outdoors, mic on the ground at 10 meters from center of the array.

Art

i have purchased some Panasonic capsules so i can make a mic and do some measurements. i too am interested in seeing how the handles and extra brace will effect the sound.

what software is everyone using to do measurements? i'm leaning towards REW.

bob
Bob,

I paid a lot of $$ for Smaart, looks like REW V5 will do similar functions for free.

The ability to measure phase will make crossover alignment far more accurate than simple RTA programs.

I'd suggest trying several of the Panasonic capsules, recently tested several I put together about a decade ago and found some inconsistencies.

Art

I have also bought and tried a number of different measurement programs. REW offers a lot of functionality and a great user interface for nothing. I use it a lot. There are some things that it will not do like swept distortion measurements, but hey it's free. Also it is updated regularily with new features incorporated. I can't believe John doesn't charge for it really.

Also look up the ARTA software suite. It is functionally free but I believe the license in order to save measurements is <$200.

I am glad to hear I inspired.
I wish I hadn't taken the time on my build as you have on yours. Looks top notch.

I also have used REW.
Cant afford other software. And I dont use it often. I normally use my DEQ2496 along with a Dayton EMM-6 to get a room response to adjust settings.

I do not have a good location for
outdoor testing. By backyard isn't empty and is sloped. But I will be in a 23K sq room in April so I will do my best to have time to do some test.

I do not have a good location for
outdoor testing. By backyard isn't empty and is sloped. But I will be in a 23K sq room in April so I will do my best to have time to do some test.
The boundary locations will affect the speaker response in singles or multiples, the change (if any) in the LF corner is what I am most interested in.

The outdoor response, even with a slope and some objects around would be more telling than a large room.

I must be crazy, i put 1 coat of primer and 4 coats of duratex on 5 of the the outside surfaces. i have 1 more side go. i have been painting everyday for a week and now going on the second week.

why? i have lots of this duratex paint that has been sitting in my garage for a few years now and im just trying to use it all up.

bob

done! and they sound great! i will be adding grills and doing measurements soon, but i have some other things i need get done for the next couple of weekends.

connectors, gasket, shrink wrap and wire. gaskets were cut from some type of craft foam sheets.

weight of only the wood, glue and paint is 47 lbs. have not weighed them with hardware mounted yet.

i personally have 90 hours into them. i had two boys help with glue and sanding. they each have 15 hours. so total construction time is 120 hours.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.