Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2012, 04:47 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bko69 View Post
i have purchased some Panasonic capsules so i can make a mic and do some measurements. i too am interested in seeing how the handles and extra brace will effect the sound.

what software is everyone using to do measurements? i'm leaning towards REW.

bob
Bob,

I paid a lot of $$ for Smaart, looks like REW V5 will do similar functions for free.

The ability to measure phase will make crossover alignment far more accurate than simple RTA programs.

I'd suggest trying several of the Panasonic capsules, recently tested several I put together about a decade ago and found some inconsistencies.

Art
Old 8th February 2012, 06:19 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

I have also bought and tried a number of different measurement programs. REW offers a lot of functionality and a great user interface for nothing. I use it a lot. There are some things that it will not do like swept distortion measurements, but hey it's free. Also it is updated regularily with new features incorporated. I can't believe John doesn't charge for it really.

Also look up the ARTA software suite. It is functionally free but I believe the license in order to save measurements is <$200.
Old 8th February 2012, 06:55 PM   #53
FlipC is offline FlipC  United States
diyAudio Member

I am glad to hear I inspired.
I wish I hadn't taken the time on my build as you have on yours. Looks top notch.

I also have used REW.
Cant afford other software. And I dont use it often. I normally use my DEQ2496 along with a Dayton EMM-6 to get a room response to adjust settings.

I do not have a good location for
outdoor testing. By backyard isn't empty and is sloped. But I will be in a 23K sq room in April so I will do my best to have time to do some test.
Old 8th February 2012, 07:25 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipC View Post
I do not have a good location for
outdoor testing. By backyard isn't empty and is sloped. But I will be in a 23K sq room in April so I will do my best to have time to do some test.
The boundary locations will affect the speaker response in singles or multiples, the change (if any) in the LF corner is what I am most interested in.

The outdoor response, even with a slope and some objects around would be more telling than a large room.
Old 13th February 2012, 03:41 PM   #55
bko69 is offline bko69  United States
diyAudio Member

I must be crazy, i put 1 coat of primer and 4 coats of duratex on 5 of the the outside surfaces. i have 1 more side go. i have been painting everyday for a week and now going on the second week.

why? i have lots of this duratex paint that has been sitting in my garage for a few years now and im just trying to use it all up.

Click the image to open in full size.

bob
Old 13th February 2012, 05:56 PM   #56
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

looking good...

I always used a harbor freight texture gun... any close ups to see what kind of texture you are getting?
Old 13th February 2012, 08:49 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

i'll take some close ups tonight and post them tomorrow.

bob
Old 15th February 2012, 02:00 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

close up of the texture:

Old 21st February 2012, 03:53 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

done! and they sound great! i will be adding grills and doing measurements soon, but i have some other things i need get done for the next couple of weekends.

connectors, gasket, shrink wrap and wire. gaskets were cut from some type of craft foam sheets.

weight of only the wood, glue and paint is 47 lbs. have not weighed them with hardware mounted yet.

i personally have 90 hours into them. i had two boys help with glue and sanding. they each have 15 hours. so total construction time is 120 hours.
Old 21st February 2012, 07:29 PM   #60
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

shure looks nice

Hide this!Advertise here!