SS15 build x8 - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2012, 01:22 PM   #41
fhperez is offline fhperez  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to fhperez Send a message via MSN to fhperez Send a message via Yahoo to fhperez Send a message via Skype™ to fhperez
Quote:
Originally Posted by bko69 View Post
fhperez: nice photos. everything is so nice and clean. are those qspot 260s i see?

bob

No, those are not the qsopt 260, the are 60watt LED moving heads... Brand new actually, that was their first event...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Depending on the venue layout, and coverage desired, center, side or spaced arrays are all what "should " be done.
That's true especially with how much output comes out of 4, compared to 2... I've done some venues that I can get away with one per side and you can still hear and feel the bass really good, and another venue, just a tad smaller and I had to use all four, center stacked to get satisfactory results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell View Post
Thanks for your pics... I know sometimes I get caught up in, "can I get a db more if I do..." kind of thing.... I love seeing pics showing folks having fun.

After all... if it's not fun, you're not doing it right....

thanks
LOL, we all do, I still want more db and more ground shaking bass at times, but I don't have the room for 4 more speakers in my truck, so now I am thinking about an upgrade, but at the same time I have to weigh (no pun intended) the weight vs spl question. These things are so light and so compact that, I don't know if I want heavier speakers and the back pains they would bring.

Sometimes I play with a band and they bring insane amount of speakers... Let me find that picture... I played with one band who brought out 4 Cerwin Vegas and I cant recall if it was 2 or 4 JBL srx tops... They sounded horrible, where as I with my 4 SS15 and 2 EV zx5's actually sounded cleaner and bass carried well all around the room... The band members even came up to me and told me my system sounded real good...
Old 30th January 2012, 04:02 PM   #42
bko69 is offline bko69  United States
diyAudio Member

i got a little bit done this weekend. i shaved the glue off the outside of the boxes with my router and cut and installed corner blocks that will be used to hold the grill. next weekend will be bondo and lots of sanding.

Click the image to open in full size.

bob
Old 30th January 2012, 06:40 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Nice!!!
Old 1st February 2012, 07:41 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Originally Posted by weltersys
Depending on the venue layout, and coverage desired, center, side or spaced arrays are all what "should " be done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhperez View Post
That's true especially with how much output comes out of 4, compared to 2... I've done some venues that I can get away with one per side and you can still hear and feel the bass really good, and another venue, just a tad smaller and I had to use all four, center stacked to get satisfactory results.

I still want more db and more ground shaking bass at times, but I don't have the room for 4 more speakers in my truck, so now I am thinking about an upgrade, but at the same time I have to weigh (no pun intended) the weight vs spl question. These things are so light and so compact that, I don't know if I want heavier speakers and the back pains they would bring.
Going from two to four is a 6 dB increase, quite a lot.

Unfortunately, multiple tapped horns don't result in a lower F3.
If you want more "ground shaking bass", you probably need to go with a cabinet that goes lower, not just more cabinets.

I was using four cabinets smaller than the SS15, I am now using two cabinets that take up the same volume (less than four SS15) and find them easier to deal with, with less back pains.

Art
Old 1st February 2012, 08:46 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to fhperez Send a message via MSN to fhperez Send a message via Yahoo to fhperez Send a message via Skype™ to fhperez
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post

I was using four cabinets smaller than the SS15, I am now using two cabinets that take up the same volume (less than four SS15) and find them easier to deal with, with less back pains.

Art
Which are they Art?
Old 7th February 2012, 07:06 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhperez View Post
Which are they Art?
The smaller cabinets were a dual Lab 12 bass reflex, the larger cabinets the Keystone sub. The dual Lab 12 has way more output below 50 Hz than a SS15, the SS15 has way more output above 50 Hz. The Keystone sub loaded with the B&C 18SW115-4 has way more output throughout the sub range, but is larger, heavier, and more $$ than the SS15.

Keystone Sub Using 18,15,&12 Inch Speakers
Old 7th February 2012, 07:35 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Yes, the more $$ than the SS15 is where I am stuck... I guess I can start putting $$ aside to build either 2 Keystones or 2 TH18s I have been keeping up with both...
Old 8th February 2012, 06:19 AM   #48
FlipC is offline FlipC  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice build!

And interesting I run 12 of the SS15's and I do see a lower F3.
Stack of 6 at 33 Hz. Never measured 4 but I run that at 40 at 2 at 44 hz (24DB LR) Next time I have time with the full setup I will record the measurements. Probably April.

Measured vertical vs horizontal and that made a difference
with horizontal winning out.

One thing about this build I'm curious about is the location
of the handles and the added bracing's effect on out put.

And casters? It only weighs 58lbs total. Do you tape them?

I use the Dayton speaker grills.
The circular one. And does it rattle? Everything does at 140 plus DB. (:

Makes me want to go ahead and build more... to bad Im broke and paying off all the toys I bought last year. Just 24 more and I'm done. I swear! LOL
Old 8th February 2012, 03:20 PM   #49
bko69 is offline bko69  United States
diyAudio Member

FilipC, it was your stack of 12 that inspired me to do this build.

bondo, sanding, and painting. i'm getting close to the end.

i have purchased some Panasonic capsules so i can make a mic and do some measurements. i too am interested in seeing how the handles and extra brace will effect the sound.

what software is everyone using to do measurements? i'm leaning towards REW.

bob
Old 8th February 2012, 04:37 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipC View Post
And interesting I run 12 of the SS15's and I do see a lower F3.
Stack of 6 at 33 Hz. Never measured 4 but I run that at 40 at 2 at 44 hz (24DB LR) Next time I have time with the full setup I will record the measurements. Probably April.

And casters? It only weighs 58lbs total. Do you tape them?
A bungee cord wrapped around casters will stop the resonance rattle.

So far I have seen no TH measurements showing a lower F3 in multiples.

I would be very interested to see your response curves, if you could start with a single, then measure two, four, eight and 12 would be great.

Preferably outdoors, mic on the ground at 10 meters from center of the array.

Art

Hide this!Advertise here!