Small sub ideas.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So this is what I want...

-0dB to 25Hz (i'm okay with 30Hz)

A box no bigger than 40l.

I don't care what the size of the driver is as long as it's 10" or bigger or 2 x 8" drivers.

A box without a ridiculously long port.

Max SPL 110dB

Not SPL lower than 80dB at 1W.

No passive radiators.

Driver budget £350

This could well be a trick as I've been looking for the past few days and I haven't been satisfied, I belive it's because 99% of the drievr out there are shite tbh.

If you could help me that would be great.

Thanks

well, yeah.

He could go small and low but the number of drivers needed to get the efficiency required exceeds the budget. Low and loud but then he also goes above box size limits. loud and small but won't go flat to 30Hz.

It could be done with passive radiators but that's out...
The port needed would fill the box...
No horn could be that size and tuning for the required SPL...

good luck,
rev.

I belive it's because 99% of the drievr out there are shite tbh.

If you could help me that would be great.

Thanks

Hi,

Simply not true, though some are shite. You want a "magic" driver
that simply does not exist. The idea that only 1% of drivers are
designed properly for intended purpose is immensely naive.

They are not, they are constrained by the laws of physics.
Size is irrelevant, volume displacement is all that matters for SPL.

Your constraints indicate sealed, and a specified SPL capability
without a frequency point makes no sense for a sealed box.

rgds, sreten.

If used in a room, you could go for two high-excursion drivers like the sonic-10 from Carpower (+-25mm xmax linear) und put them in a 40l sealed Box, which gives you this, standing on the floor:
attachment.php

Of course, three will do better... Some EQ, and you are there.

Is this for home-cinema?

Attachments

• ScreenShot 00 20111218091706.png
    ScreenShot 00 20111218091706.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 712
Sorry yes not all drivers are that bad but there are a lot of ones not up to the task!

I realise I'm pushing what I'm allowed physically but its so frustrating that I can get there with vented the port is just too long. I don't have anywhere to put the passive radiator due to looks. This is also why I don't want to get into car subs. This for home theatre and the LAB 15 with LT is winning atm achieving all except my 110dB it gives me 105dB which is acceptable.

Thanks so far

The THs in my signature go as loud and low as I've ever wanted - one guy that built them got 124dB from 4 of them in room, so using two of them would give 118dB (though this will be rather room-dependent).
They're not small, but are easy to hide given their slim stature.

Which amplifier/how much power will you be driving this subwoofer with?

Chris

Thanks Chris but it's too big and the wrong shape, I also don't like TH for true Hi-Fi. I think i'll be using the Dayton Titanic 15" in a sealed 50l box with a 1000Wrms Class D (with 2KW SMPS) amp from connexelectronic EQed with a LT. I'm not 100% sure yet there will be lots of auditions!

Thanks Chris but it's too big and the wrong shape, I also don't like TH for true Hi-Fi. I think i'll be using the Dayton Titanic 15" in a sealed 50l box with a 1000Wrms Class D (with 2KW SMPS) amp from connexelectronic EQed with a LT. I'm not 100% sure yet there will be lots of auditions!

Sounds like you've had some bad experience with THs, which is a shame, because I happen to think they're rather good.
A 1000w 15" subwoofer will certainly be impressive. Let me know when to set up the seismometer. :D

ODougbo, you're welcome, glad to be of use.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.