Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Paradigm PDR series help needed
Paradigm PDR series help needed
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2011, 10:09 PM   #1
ampliton is offline ampliton
diyAudio Member

Default Paradigm PDR series help needed

I have this broken Paradigm PDR12 subwoofer in repair, and I couldn't recognize the value on two resistors shown in picture. Can someone provide the value of these resistors, as they are critical in standby mode? Thanks!

Regards,

Adam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDR12_2.jpg (538.4 KB, 120 views)
Old 14th January 2012, 12:01 AM   #2
lancer1991 is offline lancer1991
diyAudio Member

Did you ever figure this out? I have a PDR-10 that appears to have one majorly burnt resistor in R101 and a little charred in R102. My color codes are different than yours on the same section, but try this site.
Old 1st February 2017, 02:45 PM   #3
Nexus5 is offline Nexus5
diyAudio Member

A bit late but 2k7 and 5k1 in series.

Paradigm PDR10 Rattle and Hum Faults – Radio Retro
Old 12th July 2017, 06:44 PM   #4
wrzg is offline wrzg
diyAudio Member

Pardon raising this thread from the dead.

I have the same problem, a PDR-12 (from 2001) with the same two resistors burned. Mine look like different resistor values than yours, though. The resistors on mine seem to be two of the same kind in sequence: red, black, white, and gold. But I though white couldn't be a multiplier...There are multiple accounts of resistors in these positions burning on PDR-12 and the PDR-10, but none with resistors that look like what I've found on my PDR-12.

Here are some photos.

I really hope somebody can direct me towards an answer:

What type of resistors are these?
Old 12th July 2017, 08:46 PM   #5
wrzg is offline wrzg
diyAudio Member

As a follow up: if I measure the resistors with a multimeter, would the readings be useful at all?
Old 13th July 2017, 12:29 AM   #6
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yeah wierd ! Maybe it's the other way round ? White,Black,Red, Gold = 9K

https://www.eeweb.com/toolbox/4-band...tor-calculator

As the resistors are burned, the values could way off. But, check them anyway, out of circuit, & see if they are close to 9k. If so, try changing them. They look like 1W carbon devices from here.
Old 13th July 2017, 08:00 AM   #7
wrzg is offline wrzg
diyAudio Member

Tomorrow I will pull the resistors and measure them out of circuit. I measured them while still in the board this afternoon, and got 2k ohms for the both of them. I had to look up how to interpret my multimeter readings on google (i'm in ee preschool, an electric toddler).

The pcb says PDR-12 as well as PDR-10, with the PDR-10 blacked out with marker. At first I assumed this means they use the same components as Rick's PDR-10, in his retro radio posting. This would be, as Nexus said earlier, "2k7 and 5k1 in series." How likely is it both models used the same components? Also, he is on 240v UK power. Would the resistors be different in a model made for 110v US power, or would some other component compensate for this difference? Would it be dangerous to try out these components?

root1657 of imgur helpfully pointed out these are most likely not the original resistors, judging from the sloppy soldering and positioning.
lnx64 of imgur pointed out they are not “burned,” but that they have gotten hot. I hadn't seen a truly "burned" resistor until he shared an image in the comment section of my imgur post.

What I think happened: the subwoofer broke down, somebody replaced the original resistors, poorly, then the new ones got toasty, and the subwoofer stopped performing again.

I wonder why the resistors are getting so hot? I just learned about the Capacitor Plague of the early 2000s, and thought the two big capacitors by the transformer could be toast. They aren't busted open and leaking electrolyte though. The tops are intact, and flat. Maybe a tiny bit convex? They are the original, Paradigm-branded capacitors. 5600uf, 50v, 85 degrees c.

I reached out to paradigm customer support to find out the resistor values. I hope they reply soon.

I hope to update this, until I've completed this PDR-12 project. I like the idea that the next person to come across a PDR-12 in a thrift store might see this and be able to rehabilitate it.
Old 14th July 2017, 04:56 PM   #8
wrzg is offline wrzg
diyAudio Member

I measured the resistors out of circuit, they are 2k ohms. Jamie Z from Paradigm replied, and the 2001 PDR-12 resistors at R81 and R82 are 2k 2w. I'm going to replace these and the large capacitors. I am buying capacitors from digikey that are rated for 105 degrees, and 63v, as Rick of Retro Radio uses. I'd like to solder in resistors that can handle the heat, and hopefully last longer.

Is there a more robust solution than the original spec resistors?

Thanks for the help.
Old 14th July 2017, 08:58 PM   #9
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Glad you discovered what they are

Quote:
Is there a more robust solution than the original spec resistors
Yes, use 5W types
Old 14th July 2017, 09:49 PM   #10
wrzg is offline wrzg
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero D View Post
Glad you discovered what they are

Yes, use 5W types
Thank you! That led me to read about watt ratings for resistors. I just ordered a single resistor at 4k ohm 6.5w. I consulted rick's retro radio post, and skipping over two of the burned contacts seemed like a good idea. It's only 2.5w over the previous resistors dissipation, I hope that's enough. I'll update when I've installed the new pieces.

Paradigm PDR series help neededHide this!Advertise here!