Dayton RSS390HF-4 Design Help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2011, 09:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Dayton RSS390HF-4 Design Help

Hi,
I've got a dayton 15" hf subwoofer and I'm planning on sticking it in a 250 litre ported enclosure measuring 53 x 53 x 106cm powered a dayton hpsa500. I got started on the build earlier today and got all the 3/4" mdf cut out, but I couldn't make a decision on the ports. I plugged the figures into WinISD and it says I can use two 3" ports or two 4" ports. Will there be any differnce in perfermance depending on which ones I choose? Also, what would be a good frequency to tune the box to? I see a lot of people with similar designs have tuned their to around 17 or 18hz but is there really a point going down that low, since this will mainly be for music with maybe the odd movie.
Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 12:18 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMonkey View Post
Hi,
I've got a dayton 15" hf subwoofer and I'm planning on sticking it in a 250 litre ported enclosure measuring 53 x 53 x 106cm powered a dayton hpsa500. I got started on the build earlier today and got all the 3/4" mdf cut out, but I couldn't make a decision on the ports. I plugged the figures into WinISD and it says I can use two 3" ports or two 4" ports. Will there be any differnce in perfermance depending on which ones I choose? Also, what would be a good frequency to tune the box to? I see a lot of people with similar designs have tuned their to around 17 or 18hz but is there really a point going down that low, since this will mainly be for music with maybe the odd movie.
Thanks
Howdy TM, I have used that driver many times. It's on my best-o-all-time list.

Ports: minimum of two 4" ports with flares. Better: one 6" with flare. The point is to keep air velocity low, less than 15m/s for both the double 4" or single 6".

Tuning: for that driver in that box ~18Hz is good, I would not go above that. The point is that you never want to send signal below tuning and most of the time don't want signal near tuning because the group delay at tuning will smear the sound. Plus that amp has a HP filter at 18hz 2nd order which will work well with a 18hz tuning. You have a great driver that likes a big box and a low tuning, give it what it wants and it will move you, literally.

I really would go with the 6" port X 25" long for 17Hz tuning
Old 18th December 2011, 01:09 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I had thought about using a single 6" port but it seems to hard to find a good one. I can find 6" cardboard postal tubes and fan ducting which are quite cheap but not rigid enough for the purpose. The best I could find is a 6" acrylic tube with 5mm walls, its a bit pricey but would it suitable for the port if its properly supported by the bracing?

I can't seem to find any flares for a 6" port, will it be fine without one. Although I was planning on routing the mdf around the port hole which might have a small effect.

I was also wondering what the best way to mount the the driver is? It seems to be between hurricane nuts and wood screws.

Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 01:15 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Using a 1/2" round-over at the port exit will be fine. Don't they have 6"/15cm pvc pipe on that side o the pond? think plumbing supply.

Hurricane nuts.

Last edited by revboden; 18th December 2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old 18th December 2011, 02:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for replying so fast
After another search it turns out you can find 6" pvc over here, only the cheapest I could find would be around 50 for one metre plus shipping, which is quite a bit more than I wanted to pay. The 6" acrylic with 5mm walls would work out at 32 for half a metre, which is still expensive but seems like the better option.

Would these hurricane nuts be ok: (32) 1405NT3 1/4-20 x 5/16" 3 Prong T Nut Tee Nut | eBay
Old 18th December 2011, 04:14 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

50 for one meter of 6" drain pipe...
Old 18th December 2011, 01:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Actually I think I was looking at the wrong type of pipe. Would underground drainage pipe be suitable?
Old 18th December 2011, 07:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I looked around at plumbing supply in the UK. I'd make the port out of wood via a slot port or square port.
Old 18th December 2011, 08:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

These are perfect, and not too expensive:

POSTAL TUBES - 6" Diameter - FREE DELIVERY* - SUPER STRONG POSTER TUBES
Old 18th December 2011, 10:17 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure, a slotted port seems very time consuming and compliciated. Especially since the range of tools available to me is quite limited.

The postal tubes look good. However, the minimum quantity thay will sell is 8 and I don't really know what I would do with the other seven.

I think my best bet would be to go with the acylic I suggested: 150mm x 5mm Clear Acrylic Tube Plastic Perspex 500mm | eBay
Its got 5mm walls so should be fairly rigid, and it will save me the cutting because its already 500mm long which is the length WinISD gave me for around 17 to 18hz tuning . I'll make sure its will supported by the shelf bracing to avoid unwanted resonance since its not as solid as pvc pipe.

Hide this!Advertise here!