Is There a smallish prosound tapped horn 35-80hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been reading the forums here for almost a week now searching for a good TH design that can be used as much at home(single) and also in prosound setups and have so far failed to find an appropriate design so far. Can you help me?

All of my current tops/mid speakers do fine down to 80-100hzhz so I have no real need for a sub to do anything upwards of that so really only looking to be capable 0f 35-80hz. Ideally I would like the boxes small enough to carry by myself and therefore no more than 25-30kg. Naturally I expect that for prosound I will need at least four for decent events and possibly expand to 16 in the future.

Jbells look good but I would prefer 12" drivers and smaller design
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/127908-jbells-set-four-tapped-horns.html

Or Ideally a small 12" maybe lab12 version of the othorn
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/193418-othorn-tapped-horn.html

I was at one point looking at building Bill Fitzmurice's T30 folded horn but its output drops off significantly the lower the freq which is why I have opted for a tapped horn
Tuba 30

Although I don't mind designing an enclosure myself I would much rather build a proven design.

Any ideas?

How about this...
Emininence eminator 2512 driver (which is cheap) Other 12" drivers work as well.

It's a 'cute' pa sub... aka small, just like you are asking. 17x20x22 About half the size and half the output of the ss15. Find a wall or corner for it, and it works exceptionally well. (about 130db@50hz with 150watts)

If you've built other folded cabinets, the attached picture should give you all you need.

Attachments

• Eminator3.JPG
    Eminator3.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 966
  • eminator-hornresp.JPG
    eminator-hornresp.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 935
That looks really good actually :D. Do you have a link to the thread of this design, if it has one? And would the lab12 be a lot better in this?

That sure is small, Even a bit bigger and higher wattage would be better but that's the best I have seen so far and a definite option.

Thanks Jbell,

Last edited:
no build threads -- I've built them for dance studios using a philips HTIB to power them. In that setting they work really well.

Delta 12lf (and the 4 ohm 12lfc) is another driver that works. LAB12 not so much. This design doesn't really have the gain of a typical TH that I design -- it's primary goal was cheap build and small size. (wholesale 2512 is $64, buy.com has them for $71 each) However it takes 2 of these to equal a single ss15. 35hz high pass required.

Last edited:
^exactly. Your goals are not reasonable. Pro sound plus 35hz is NOT going to be small...
For the ss15 (which is one of the most efficient TH's by the DIY community (thanks jbell)) you will need a bunch to get respectsble pro sound 35hz. (135+ db)

Dag's sub looks pretty darn good for it's size (extension and efficiency) and the lab 15 drivers aren't too Pricey.

If you want smaller and can deal with multiples (you said up to 16) why not use a Bass Reflex design...

How about this...
Emininence eminator 2512 driver (which is cheap) Other 12" drivers work as well.

It's a 'cute' pa sub... aka small, just like you are asking. 17x20x22 About half the size and half the output of the ss15. Find a wall or corner for it, and it works exceptionally well. (about 130db@50hz with 150watts)

Jbell, how low do these go?
Also as I understand if it has about half the output power then it equates to 3db drop which isn't much at all and as you said if it is half the size just build two to equal an ss15 am I correct?

I have been looking at a number of designs and I am going to have to use MDF and I am not sure that's going to work out for the ss15 and be light enough to carry.

The red dots were so no one would confuse which side of the board the measurement was to be taken on. It's just a cell phone pic of my template board. (I always do templates of all of my cabinets. and funny thing is... this one is on the back side of the ss15 template...)

Draw it out full size on a scrap piece of plywood and it'll all make sense. No I've never put it into cad.

This cabinet has almost exactly the same response profile as the ss15 at -6db efficiency. Double cabinets/power and you get back that 6db. Now max power... that's a different story. 4015lf's etc for the ss15 get you more under the hood so to speak... vs drivers available for this little cabinet. I also don't think this cabinet would keep up with flipc's TH mini-clone with the 12ps100 driver for example.

What this cabinet was designed for was for a $100 sub, that's small enough to be acceptable indoors (living rooms, etc..) while still giving PA level sound if you can find a corner for it. Specifically I designed it for my brother and dance studios where 150watts at 4ohms was the power available. (his girl is quite the dancer) There are some denver studios that have good sound these days...

Not sure if this really fits what you are looking for, but it's one of the few 12" designs I have done. It seems that I lean toward 10's or 15's. Now... the titanic 10 in a small TH...

Attachments

• ss15vslittlebox.JPG
    ss15vslittlebox.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
and if you want to build the 12" box... making it 2" deeper (lengthen all horizontal boards by 2") gets you about 5db more 35hz, and doesn't mess up the taper enough to worry about.

The big thing is to find a 12 that works great in this box that will take the power you want to put into it. The eminator 2512 really doesn't want more than about a couple hundred watts before its outta gas, and the delta 12lfa takes more power, has a bit less xmax, a bit more xlim... so it's a little more 'goof proof' but really doesn't get you much more overall spl.

All in all, it is what it is... a $100 sub that works great as a 'bridge sub' Not quite living room, and not quite big dj sub...

BTW -- mdf is about the worst for something that has to be moved. You can't go plywood???

Ahh so many options and so many opinions haha. I am doing this build as part of my degree in sound engineering and its my first build. I live in a fairly regional area of Australia and suitable plywood is $$$$ in shipping (let alone speakers from America) however I may just have to bite the bullet as the gains still will probably outweigh the cost. If i have to stick with MDF then your 12" box seams the only suitable option however the ss15 with plywood would probably weigh the same but as you said totally destroy the 12"

Now I am swaying towards the ss15 again, I would prefer the 35hz horn below but I am told the weight would be double that of the ss15 even though it isn't much bigger http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/190909-40hz-th-6.html

BTW thanks everyone for your advice, it is very much appreciated

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.