Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2011, 09:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Ninesvnsicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Question Box design for Dayton Audio DCS385-4 15" Classic Sub

Hello Everyone,

I'm building my dad a nice powered subwoofer with the Dayton Audio SA240 240W Subwoofer Amplifier 300-804 and I am going to use Dayton Audio DCS385-4 15" Classic Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-206 for the sub. I'm not sure what size and tuning to use for the enclosure so far I'm thinking 5-6 cuft at 32hz but bass box pro and winisd recommend like 12-15cuft which just seems incredibly big. What do you guys think would be good for this sub?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 09:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
revboden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
What are the output (db) and bandwidth (Hz) you want?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 09:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
revboden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
What will the sub be used for, music, HT, breaking windows ?

Btw the Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-469 is happy in a small (4ft^3) box tuned to 23Hz. What are the dimensions of the room this will go in?

oh yeah, the DCS385-4 15" really does want a large 7-12ft^3 box

edit: when designing with the dayton amps remember that they have a built in HP at 18Hz 2nd order. so include that in the EQ/Filter tab.

Last edited by revboden; 11th December 2011 at 09:58 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 10:18 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Ninesvnsicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by revboden View Post
What will the sub be used for, music, HT, breaking windows ?

Btw the Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-469 is happy in a small (4ft^3) box tuned to 23Hz. What are the dimensions of the room this will go in?

oh yeah, the DCS385-4 15" really does want a large 7-12ft^3 box

edit: when designing with the dayton amps remember that they have a built in HP at 18Hz 2nd order. so include that in the EQ/Filter tab.
The sub will mainly be used for music my dad listens to rock, jazz, jazz fusion guitar type stuff. The sub is going to be in the basement on his side which is about 12ft x 15ft x 8 ft high. He has a curtain that cuts the basement in half. So the DCS385-4 15" really does need a 7-12cuft box? Bass Box pro recommended 12cuft box tuned to around 18hz but that seems low also what do you think for tuning.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 11:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
revboden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I tune in the teens (14-18Hz) to keep transient response and group delay low in the audible range.

edit: that driver in a sealed 7ft^3 box would work well for the music you describe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 11:10 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
revboden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
what will he be using to send it signal?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 11:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Ninesvnsicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by revboden View Post
I tune in the teens (14-18Hz) to keep transient response and group delay low in the audible range.

edit: that driver in a sealed 7ft^3 box would work well for the music you describe.
You think so? Even with all the long low notes in jazz? I usually like to port tune my boxes. It does recommend a low tuning of 17-18hz you don't think that's low considering you can't hear below 20hz? Here is what I have so far Photo Album - Imgur I can always lower the tuning if you think it will sound better.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 11:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Ninesvnsicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by revboden View Post
what will he be using to send it signal?
Right now he has a hafler preamp connected to an adcom gfa-545 II amp but really bad speakers so I wanted to get him a nice powered sub to get him started on a nice sound.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 11:21 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
revboden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninesvnsicks View Post
You think so? Even with all the long low notes in jazz? I usually like to port tune my boxes. It does recommend a low tuning of 17-18hz you don't think that's low considering you can't hear below 20hz? Here is what I have so far Photo Album - Imgur I can always lower the tuning if you think it will sound better.
in the box design section use the BR with active HP EQ filter and change the Fx =18 and Qx =2. that will simulate the dayton amps HP filter.
Attached Images
File Type: png uGHVG.png (40.8 KB, 340 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 11:30 PM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Ninesvnsicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by revboden View Post
in the box design section use the BR with active HP EQ filter and change the Fx =18 and Qx =2. that will simulate the dayton amps HP filter.
I don't see any of that in the box design section?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
15" kicker l7 30hz box design help !! justint Subwoofers 94 10th December 2012 02:54 PM
15" box design ideas?? warnsey Multi-Way 4 19th June 2008 01:01 PM
FS: 15-inch Dayton Classic IIs jmikes Swap Meet 0 12th March 2007 01:16 PM
Box design check for Dayton 12" HiFi jonnythan Subwoofers 12 12th February 2006 10:04 PM
Dual 15" Dayton Titanic MKIII Design Help chance_11 Subwoofers 25 3rd February 2006 07:46 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:37 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2