Box design for Dayton Audio DCS385-4 15" Classic Sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As for the port box and port designs...

I would go with a box shape of roughly 19.5" x 25.5" x" 34" or something similar. Front baffle "inside" dimension is then 18"x24" assuming 3/4" wall thickness (less a few inches top or bottom for port slot). I suggest doubling the front baffle thickness to 1.5" (glue-n-screw 2 sheets together). Bolt the woofer down really good.

I would build the port into the front of the box as a "slot" style port. on the bottom. 18" x 2.25" opening, 24.5" length. That should give about a 23hz tuning and the final box should wind around ~7ft^3. With 160W signal level (highest the unit should be played at to prevent distortion/over excursion) the air velocity in port will peak ~35ft/s just below 20hz. The port should be nice and silent through the useful listening range.

I'd use a round-over tool on the router (just a smallish round-over, like 3/8") and run it around the vent opening, also, i would apply a round over to the back of the baffle that makes up the top of the vent slot.

I'd certainly suggest rabbit jointing in a few braces and lining the inside of the box and braces with a thin layer of fiberlgass or polyfill.
I do not have the tools to do rabbit joints so liquid nails and screws will have to do. I'm still not sure on what type of wood to use I'd like something that looks good stained. I still have 4" pvc pipe left from my last build I might just use 2 round 4" ports just because if I do a slot port and it would probably have to do an L corner and I don't have a table saw to do 45 degree angles. I don't want to have to use stuffing (assuming that's what you meant by poly fill.) If I need bracing I could use round wooden dowels I've seen others use them before.

As for the port box and port designs...

I would go with a box shape of roughly 19.5" x 25.5" x" 34" or something similar. Front baffle "inside" dimension is then 18"x24" assuming 3/4" wall thickness (less a few inches top or bottom for port slot). I suggest doubling the front baffle thickness to 1.5" (glue-n-screw 2 sheets together). Bolt the woofer down really good.

I would build the port into the front of the box as a "slot" style port. on the bottom. 18" x 2.25" opening, 24.5" length. That should give about a 23hz tuning and the final box should wind around ~7ft^3. With 160W signal level (highest the unit should be played at to prevent distortion/over excursion) the air velocity in port will peak ~35ft/s just below 20hz. The port should be nice and silent through the useful listening range.

I'd use a round-over tool on the router (just a smallish round-over, like 3/8") and run it around the vent opening, also, i would apply a round over to the back of the baffle that makes up the top of the vent slot.

I'd certainly suggest rabbit jointing in a few braces and lining the inside of the box and braces with a thin layer of fiberlgass or polyfill.
Ok I keep hearing 100w-160w isn't this a 300w rms sub woofer? Shouldn't it take 300wrms?

BR = bass reflex. (ported) Auto subs are a different critter, often used in an undersized box tuned high, you use lots of power in an undersized box. thus your experience.
ah ok well I'm fine with it using less than it's rated because my amp will be able to give it clean power than but 100w vs 300w seemed like a large amount less. Right now I'm thinking of doing the 7cuft tuned to around 23hz what do you think it would handle at that? SQ is what matters since it's for my dad but I do want it to be plenty loud if possible.

here's an example of that driver one tuned for SQ and one tuned for SPL.

Attachments

• carmod.JPG
    carmod.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 242
  • carmod2.JPG
    carmod2.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 236
If you have winISD then you should already have your answer to that, just switch to the "max power" display.

(150W)

The difference between 150W and 240W is only 2db, so don't fret about it.
Yup I have 3 versions of winisd only one has the box creater part which is the most important part. alpha, beta and the newest 0.7.2 or whatever also bass box 6 pro. I'm going to check them all out now.

here's an example of that driver one tuned for SQ and one tuned for SPL.

I'm not sure how to read the cone excursion graph.

Last edited:
you know what that chart shows now:) Yes, at 161w if a signal has information below tuning, because that amps HP is set at 18Hz, you will push the driver past xmax. although most drivers have about 1/4 more excursion before you hit Xmech. So it shouldn't be a problem as long as you limit either the levels or the signal sent to the amp.

You don't need to worry about it going "way over xmax" down at like 13hz because you aren't going to be using that range anyays.
Ok so I'm probably going to set the crossover to 80hz what do you think it will handle between 20hz-80hz?

you know what that chart shows now:) Yes, at 161w if a signal has information below tuning, because that amps HP is set at 18Hz, you will push the driver past xmax. although most drivers have about 1/4 more excursion before you hit Xmech. So it shouldn't be a problem as long as you limit either the levels or the signal sent to the amp.
Yea I'll be careful at first and make sure I don't blast it and set the gain so it doesn't distort or kill the sub. I can't wait to hear it tho my dad hasn't had anything good for a long time right now he has a 60w realistic from like 15 yrs ago that is falling apart so this is going to be a giant step up. Next step after the sub is to make the speakers to match.

Last edited:
Well, it will "handle" anything from about 20-200hz I imagine, but the 7ft box is really more optimized for the 30-100hz range. Which for listening to music is ideal.
Yup that is what my dad will be doing with it. I was afraid that the amp wouldn't be giving it enough clean power but now that I know it will be handling less wattage it shouldn't be an issue at all now. Thank you for all the help guys I really appreciate it hopefully when it is all done and running I will take a video of it to show you :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.