'Small' subs for bedroom (UK availability) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2011, 10:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 'Small' subs for bedroom (UK availability)

I'm toying with the idea of building a pair of small satellites with W3-871 (that I already have) & pairing them with a pair of small subs, with a passive crossover in the subs to begin with for simplicity's sake.

This is for my bedroom where I usually sit at my computer desk with my ears ~1.2m from the ground. The idea is that the satellites can be raised to that height & angled in toward my seating position whilst the subs can sit on the floor.

Michael Chua's system is essentially what I'm thinking of, however I suspect the subs he has there are far too large/powerful for my room. So I'm looking for recommendations of designs & drivers (that are available for purchase in the UK or from a reputable continental dealer (I will never deal with Europe Audio again!)) that would better suit the size of my room.

As far as amplification goes, there probably won't be more than 50W behind each channel & 'normal' listening conditions (eg when my flatmate is home) are less than 1W. I'm not looking for rumbling movie bass, but well defined 'music' bass.

See the attached picture for a better idea of the room/conditions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battlestation.jpg (394.8 KB, 718 views)
Old 11th December 2011, 12:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

could try blue planet audio , i've ordered a couple of times from them and have been impressed with the service . free delivery and arrived in a few days , they also have some of the smaller tang band subwoofers on sale at the moment .

steve
Old 11th December 2011, 12:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The W8-670C on sale for €30 looks tempting but I can't find much info/experience with it online. Looks similar to the W8-740C though, so it should be quite good & I should be able to use some of the numerous W8-740C builds/designs as a starting point. Might buy a pair quick before they sell out...
Old 11th December 2011, 03:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well I ordered a pair of the W8-670C because at that price they're worth experimenting with. Also grabbed a pair of W3-926SD for €11 each just to compare with the W3-871C (I'm still a bit miffed that I ended up with W3-871C which don't have phase plugs when I ordered W3-871 which do!).
Old 11th December 2011, 04:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hey,

As I posted in my somewhat similar help needed thread:

Help needed with TB w3-926sd, w8-670c

I found specs for w8-670c on hobbyhifiladen.de. I am not sure how accurate they are though. Somehow the driver shows only on german version and not on english (atleast on me):

Tang Band W8-670C Tieftöner - Hobbyhifiladen
Old 12th December 2011, 06:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Time to bump my own thread with a specific question - what should the crossover frequency be? I seem to remember somebody telling me that a sub shouldn't play above ~120Hz as this is where the sound starts to become too directional.

However when I put as many TS parameters as I can find for the W3-871 (assuming that my W3-871C will behave roughly similar, even without phase plugs) into winisd (which I am no expert at) it looks like to achieve anything approaching 120Hz I'll have to build a ported cabinet. This surprises me because I've seen lots of people using (very small) sealed cabinets for these 3" drivers in combination with a sub.

Michael Chua (see link in first post) says he has crossed his at 125Hz, but from what I'm getting out of winisd there's no way his satellites are going anywhere near 125Hz. Am I missing something?
Old 12th December 2011, 08:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have that similar problem with the 926sd. 3l br tuned to 95 Hz was the best I could do.

But with that w8-670c I am clueless. I have no idea how to get reasonable small sub.
Old 12th December 2011, 11:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I modeled the W3-926SD in almost exactly the same box as you, I got a 3l BR tuned to 97Hz.

I think I might leave my W3-871C for another project, because I can't find TS numbers for them unless I assume that they behave the same as the W3-871S which doesn't seem likely as the S have phase plugs & my C don't. Even then they don't look good in anything smaller than 5l which is getting a bit big for satellites.

For a BR the W8-670 doesn't look good in anything smaller than 1 cu ft (28l) which isn't small! It seems to work well in 4th order bandpass, but again only at about 1 cu ft. I'm using the TS values from the Tang Band site for the W8-670Q which looks the same as the but has a rubber surround instead of a foam surround.

Using both of my W8-670C in an isobaric box looks promising, but I have no idea where to start in designing that!

Last edited by lost eden; 12th December 2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 13th December 2011, 02:26 AM   #9
hurtz is offline hurtz  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hmm I started on winISD as well but now am playing with hornresp which seems a lot nicer in some respects (not intuitive design however). Hornresp for Dum... hmm... Everyone - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com I found this to be good starting point.

brohoof!
hurtz
Old 13th December 2011, 04:10 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

re xover frequency, I'd run them up to the the baffle step frequency, which will be considerably higher than 120Hz (Fbsc = 115/baffle width of satellites in metres) - baffle step correction solved;
depends on how you're going to place them in the room though

Hide this!Advertise here!