diyAudio (
-   Subwoofers (
-   -   need high-amp DPDT toggle switch for speakers (

cyclecamper 9th December 2011 10:33 PM

need high-amp DPDT toggle switch for speakers
I want high-amperage strong (no crappy automotive plastic bats, requires commercial-like durability) toggle switch for mounting in a steel panel on the back of a speaker.

I'd like some center-off DPDT (series/seperate/parallel) and also some two-throw DPDT (polarity reverse). I'd like 20 to 40 amp AC rating (higher is better).

Most important, they must not rattle !!! At all!

Any good links to big electronics catalogs online???

m R g S r 10th December 2011 04:40 AM


sofaspud 10th December 2011 07:01 AM

Most any large electronics/electrical distributor will carry an assortment of toggles. I'm not quite understanding what type you actually need, though, other than a high amp rating. Be aware also... I wouldn't be at all surprised if they set you back $30+ each.

epa 10th December 2011 12:05 PM

i had the same isue a while ago,this was for a sub wich could be used with or without bild in crossover.
i ordered a switch ,but the switch only work when pressed on(it wouldn't stick :) )
i ended up using switching jacks.
an other option was using banana plugs and patch bridges.
you could reces them.

Xoc1 10th December 2011 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this for PA? I think switches on the back of a PA cab are a disaster waiting to happen!
Switches are likely to be expensive (and easy to tamper with). One flick at the wrong time could be an expensive short circuit!:confused:
How about using a assortment of speakon 4 way sockets and plugs. They are built for the job, and with a bit of creative thought you could achieve most of the configurations you want.
Why would you want to switch the phase? It is probably easier to do that at the amplifier input.
Sketched out a start, Series connection seems more problematic unless you use a custom speaker lead/plug - Maybe a short patch lead would do the job
Patch leads are also often used to sort out phasing issues.

Zero D 10th December 2011 09:40 PM

@ cyclecamper

Try here ;)

Center off DPDT

Your Search Results | Farnell United Kingdom | Results

Double Pole, Double Throw, DPDT

Your Search Results | Farnell United Kingdom | Results

Select your country or region Farnell / Electronic Component Distributors / Suppliers / Electronics, Electrical Parts, Electrical Components and Wholesale Electronics.

Speedskater 11th December 2011 03:37 PM

You might look in a reputable surplus shop like this one:


cyclecamper 15th December 2011 06:01 PM

Lots of nice possibilities, all of them expensive.

cyclecamper 15th December 2011 06:07 PM

I see what Xoc1 proposes.

cyclecamper 17th February 2012 07:41 PM

I will run all spekaer terminals to the NL4 and then I can wire NL4 plugs internally to determine whether the 1/4" jacks drive the speakers in parallel or series.

What's the standard for the 1/4" jack. With + on the tip, should the cone move in or out?

What's the standard for wiring the NL4 for two drivers (mostly interested in polarity)? Wire one driver to which pins, other to which, and which way should the cone move with + on which...

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:08 AM.

Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 18.75%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio