Tang Band Tang Band W8Q-1071F 8 X 12 box reccomendation - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2011, 09:24 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

My gosh. I feel bad having you guys do all this work for me. Usually I am really good at coming up with the designs, but these horns have me perplexed, but fascinated.
Old 14th December 2011, 10:07 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Default Oh noes...

That's how they suck you in. The first one is free, then BAM!! , you're addicted.

Have fun,
rev.
Old 14th December 2011, 10:52 PM   #33
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi again,

I revised the sketch with straight back, and one driver inverted (and moved over with a mounting plate). This one could be cut from one sheet of 4'x8' material (if one is willing to stick together one side panel from two pieces).

I agree, this stuff is addictive :-).

Regards,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf T-TQWT_by bjorno_for permo_Rev_01.pdf (21.7 KB, 144 views)
Old 14th December 2011, 11:12 PM   #34
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
Hi again,

I revised the sketch with straight back, and one driver inverted (and moved over with a mounting plate). This one could be cut from one sheet of 4'x8' material (if one is willing to stick together one side panel from two pieces).

I agree, this stuff is addictive :-).

Regards,
Hi Oliver,

Thank you for the drawings: They are great! I have no objection on these layouts.

Is it possible to incorporate lid(s) for to attain easy access to the drivers?..and maybe the volume of damping material (= half-ways down from the S1 area at max.)

b
Old 15th December 2011, 04:28 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Hi bjorno,

Yes, that should be possible. I'll have to see when I have time to get to it.

Regards,
Old 15th December 2011, 05:00 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

I cannot explain my appreciation enough!

So all of the output comes from the duct basically at S4? 4.67" X 8.63"? I am assuming that I can just wire the drivers out of phase since one is inverted?

This looks REALLY fantastic, I am going to cut some wood soon on this one. I will without question post pics of the entire project as part of my appreciation for the , way beyond any expections, efforts of the Oliver and Bjorno. All I can say is wow.

I think OAK veneer MDF Core Plywood is in order for such a great design

THANKS!! THANKS!!

Last edited by permo; 15th December 2011 at 05:09 AM.
Old 15th December 2011, 02:49 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Is the compression ratio acceptable on this design? Sorry for all of the questions, I am ready to start working on this project this weekend now that I have this great design. I just want to be sure I have all my bases covered.
Old 15th December 2011, 03:17 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Hi permo,

As to the wood working, as bjorno indicated, there are a number of details to be worked out. I would probably build a trial box out of MDF to see how everything fits, ultimately this calls for voidless plywood. You have to provide access to the drivers. The front driver would most easily be accessed from the front, so it needs a removable panel, and if you use the inverted top driver, you may have to add side panels. 3/4"x3/4" cleats (or battons) should work for mounting the panels, 1/8" aluminium strips can be used in the 8.625" dimension to reduce the reduction of the cross sections. You may want to give some thought to internal bracing, please, see DrDyna's thread. For a trial build I would leave one side plate loose, and attach it with screws and weather stripping. You need to be able to add damping material to the S12 section of the enclosure. It always helps to draw the location of the dividers on a side board.

I'll add an idea on how to layout the cuts on one sheet of wood. I'm busy today, but I'll try to add more dimensions to the drawing tonight.

I'll leave the question about the compression ratio to bjorno, but I think its fine.

Regards,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf T-TQWT_by bjorno_for permo_Rev_01_wood.pdf (18.7 KB, 82 views)
Old 15th December 2011, 03:31 PM   #39
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
Is the compression ratio acceptable on this design? Sorry for all of the questions, I am ready to start working on this project this weekend now that I have this great design. I just want to be sure I have all my bases covered.
This question has already been taken into consideration and shown in the very first simulation:
The maximum compression occurs behind the drivers and results in a < 165 dB SPL at ~19 Hz when the input is 200W Rms...

Highly unlikely that you will have problem unless you are a SPL moron and single sinus smoking testing the sub at levels above design max. at a long period ... just in order to be sure..

b
Old 15th December 2011, 04:13 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

You guys have done so much to help me. Thank you so much!

so the duct opening is at S4 correct? 4.67" X 8.63"? Aside from that confirmation my only other question is regarding the distance between the ends of the internal dividers and outside panels of the enclosure. I would assume you could just use S1 and S3 for this, but I am unsure...I don't want to mess these up. I hope I am explaining correctly.

Maybe I am overanlyzing this a bit too much...so long as I get S1, S2,S3,S4 and the "L"s as close as I can to the model I should in good shape I assume. Oh, the duct as well should be accurate.

I am thinking I will buy two sheets of MDF and basically use some sort of weatherstripping for the front and sides, as opposed to an adhesive, so that I can access the drivers. Predrilled and countersunk using 2 inch wood screws, I should get a great seal.

Hide this!Advertise here!