Tang Band Tang Band W8Q-1071F 8 X 12 box reccomendation - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2011, 06:06 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdocod View Post
After simming your driver in hornresp awhile, I'm convinced that this horn loading stuff is a lot more hype than anything. The best arrangement I could come up with produced similar efficiency and loading characteristics as the 6th order bandpass box I suggested above, however, the box would be nearly twice the size, and perform ~3db worse in maximum output compared to the 6th order bandpass configuration.
Well, the hornresp design in this example is 133 liters or so, which isn't that large and goes down to 20hz solid. I am not sure exactly how feasible this design is.

The problem with the 6th order is the 35hz to 90 hz effective passband. the gain is nice and fully appreciated, but I am looking to add some realism to movies, and 35hz isn't going to cut it.

So far the most realistic, and feasable configuration to take full adantage of my speaker design abilities is a 4.5-to 6 cubic foot ported enclusure tuned to 25-30 hz.

If i could figure out how to build the horn I would likely give that a try but as of right now, I don't have confidence in my ability to put those numbers into cutting wood.
Old 12th December 2011, 10:05 PM   #22
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi permo,

Post #21: "...confidence in my ability to put those numbers into cutting wood."

That is the problem, some enclosures model just fine, but the model cannot be converted into a physical reality (at least not easily). This is one of those, there is just not enough cross-sectional area to fit the drivers, and to properly fit the S34 duct length.

If you want to build something like this you may have to take a different approach. Instead of the S12 duct section you could substitue a coupling chamber (or call it: horn throat chamber), which could be sized to provide room for the drivers. You would still have to deal with the problem of where to place the S34 duct length.

I'll attach a Hornresp input as an example:

Regards,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chambered T_TQWT_Input.jpg (37.2 KB, 435 views)
Old 13th December 2011, 01:22 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

wow, now I see. It may not be possible to make this one happen. Bummer.

I will continue too look at my options, I am probably still -3-4 months away from finishing my theater room, so I have some time.
Old 13th December 2011, 02:43 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Hi permo,

To give you a general idea what this type of enclosure would look like I'll attach a drawing for a "Chambered T-TQWT" (using the TB W8-1071). You can enter the data into Hornresp, and see if you think this would be something worthwhile. To accurately model this one you would have to go into AkAbak, but I don't think the difference would be very big. By the way, if you want to combine S1 and S2 in Hornresp, you give them the same area, and set L12 to 0.01cm.

Regards,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Chambered_T-TQWT.pdf (17.9 KB, 189 views)

Last edited by tb46; 13th December 2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 13th December 2011, 07:19 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
Hi permo,

To give you a general idea what this type of enclosure would look like I'll attach a drawing for a "Chambered T-TQWT" (using the TB W8-1071). You can enter the data into Hornresp, and see if you think this would be something worthwhile. To accurately model this one you would have to go into AkAbak, but I don't think the difference would be very big. By the way, if you want to combine S1 and S2 in Hornresp, you give them the same area, and set L12 to 0.01cm.

Regards,

WOW is that COOL!!!!!
Old 14th December 2011, 02:55 AM   #26
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
WOW is that COOL!!!!!
Agree, Here is a crude picture showing how to deal with a OD_T-TQWT
with clearance problem at the rear driver side:

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TB-W8Q-1071F_T-TQWT_Driver-clearance.JPG (140.5 KB, 441 views)
Old 14th December 2011, 01:16 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Wow am I spoiled. Thank you so much.
Old 14th December 2011, 05:29 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Hi again,

Here is what happened, I put bjorno's numbers into a spreadsheet that I had used to calculate the cross-sectional duct heights for a symmetrical tapped horn, in other words I divided the duct height by 2. Obviously, the drivers would not fit anymore. Well, haste makes waste.

I redrew the sketch to reflect bjorno's design. I hope I got it right this time. I don't think that the taper from S1 to S2 is necessary, as the stuffing in this section can be modified to suit. I guess the little extra duct below S4 would have to be modelled in AkAbak.

Regards,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf T-TQWT_by bjorno_for permo.pdf (14.0 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by tb46; 14th December 2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 14th December 2011, 05:55 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

My God you guys are good. Now to I have the courage to build it!? Why not!
Old 14th December 2011, 08:51 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Hi permo,

I see no reason not to build them. If you haven't yet, take a look at DrDyna's thread: Fiddling with Hornresp - Peerless 831759. He seems to be very pleased with the result.

You may want to redraw the enclosure, or if you want me to I can make whatever changes bjorno recommends, and add the additional dimensions.

Regards,

Hide this!Advertise here!