Tang Band Tang Band W8Q-1071F 8 X 12 box reccomendation - Page 17 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th February 2012, 08:10 PM   #161
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
Hi permo,

Art (weltersys) just opened a new thread:New Lower Cost B&C 18" , that driver will actually work well in a T-TQWT. Might be a good one for you to try in Hornresp. My guess is that you'll end up with about a V_ext=10ft^3 enclosure.

Regards,
Agree:

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2x18TBW100-8_T-TQWT.JPG (243.1 KB, 257 views)
Old 1st March 2012, 02:37 AM   #162
diyAudio Member

600 watts = 120 db at 20 hz in half space. pretty cool.

I am quite sure i haven't even come close to maximum output on my dual TB speaker, I can't imagine what that big pig would do. I have to say that I am amazingly happy with what I have. A simple 150 watt amp with this design is literally capable of house shaking output. Its simply a joy to listen to such effortless and powerfull bass. It brings the whole system to life.

I had a boston acoustics powered sub with a 10 inch driver. It cost me right around four hundred dollars. I am maybe $300 down for this subwoofer...counting the external amplifier. I hate to think what this type of performance would cost if you were to try and buy it in a premade package.

Last edited by permo; 1st March 2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old 1st March 2012, 03:50 AM   #163
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi bjorno,

Post #161: that's about the same that I came up with, I went with a single though, still enough to bring down the house.

Regards,
Old 2nd March 2012, 01:40 PM   #164
diyAudio Member

Hi permo,

By the way, for a coffee table sub, take a look at this thread, Post #38: 20-30hz tapped horn for studio with ande drivers

Those JBL's are really nice drivers, and priced reasonably.

Regards,
Old 2nd March 2012, 02:05 PM   #165
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi permo,

By the way, for a coffee table sub, take a look at this thread, Post #38: 20-30hz tapped horn for studio with ande drivers

Those JBL's are really nice drivers, and priced reasonably.

Regards,

That looks great. I will have to check into stealing a pair of those somehow.
Old 2nd March 2012, 03:02 PM   #166
diyAudio Member

Hi permo,

Here is one set on ebay: 2 JBL GTO1214D CAR AUDIO STEREO 12" 4-OHM GTO POWER SUBWOOFERS/SUB WOOFERS PAIR | eBay

Regards,
Old 2nd March 2012, 03:12 PM   #167
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Got dang....that is super tempting!
Old 23rd March 2012, 04:05 AM   #168
uptime is offline uptime  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Oliver and Bjorno Rock!

I just love this thread! And I just can't stand it anymore, so I have to ask a few questions.

I have a couple of W8Q-1071F's lying around and I think I just "have" to build this thing. I know how to use all the measurement tools, would be happy to post pictures, tests, etc. I am still learning the modeling tools.

I would be interested in hearing your comments on building two of these with one driver a piece instead of one with two drivers.

I would like to simplify the cuts to standard board sizes so that it would be easier to cut without a table saw, etc. In other words, use 48" X 10" boards, half cut panels, etc. Or another way to say it is turn it into a kit my kids and friends could build. I know this will change things, but looking at the design, it looks like it could be adjusted inward (10" instead of 10 5/8" ) just a little to make it easier to build.

I was also thinking, why not just make the one side removable? You could use a ton of screws, or a few key placed bolts from side to side. And of course the hot glue trick.

Basically. Now that we know the thing works, are there some simple things that we could tweak it so that all of my friends could make them!

There are a bunch of us that get together, tweak, tune and play with this stuff on a regular basis, and I would love to hear any insights or additional thoughts that you might have for the group.

Thanks again everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorno View Post
A well executed DIY job is always rewarding...

In time grasshopper,in time...

Why not involve SWMBO to camouflage your creation: Picture example:

Time to renew the House insurance?

Your sub is a point-source pressure device, the T-TQWT internal air volume velocity is converted into pressure at the port,wasting very little power to sweep the floor in front of the terminus if you have an adequate HPF.

Oliver is the one who should recieve credits for this design: My contribution is if compared with his IMO very modest..

b

PS: The potted-plant placed on top of the enclosure is an Hoya...needs little water and a share of double-bass music in order to flourish.
Old 23rd March 2012, 03:07 PM   #169
diyAudio Member

Hi uptime,

Basically, your looking at reducing all the cross-sectional areas by 2, and maintaining the duct lengths. If the area around the back of the driver gets to be too tight, you may have to add a coupling chamber from the back of the driver to the duct. That can be accounted for easily in Hornresp (throat chamber).

I like the idea to make one side removable, screws every 6-8 inches, and weatherstripping should do the trick.

But, you are still looking at a complete redesign, especially if you have to introduce a throat chamber.

Regards,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W8Q_1071D_Single_throat_chamber_Input.jpg (35.1 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg W8Q_1071D_Single_throat_chamber_SPL.jpg (30.2 KB, 181 views)
Old 24th March 2012, 02:16 AM   #170
diyAudio Member

Hi Y'all,

I changed the design for a single driver T-TQWT using the TangBand W8Q-1071D around a few times, and this is my final version. I was able to get the driver into the enclosure without a coupling chamber. The dimensions should be easier on standard sheets of wood (4' x 8').

Regards,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TTQWT_Single_W8Q_1071D_ACAD.pdf (45.3 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by tb46; 24th March 2012 at 02:18 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!