Tang Band Tang Band W8Q-1071F 8 X 12 box reccomendation - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2011, 01:54 PM   #91
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi permo,

The size of the slot @ S4 is 4.672"H x 8.625"W, from the area in Hornresp: S4=260cm^2 (40.3in^2).

I'd make the bottom piece of the front baffle removable too. Make sure you can get to the mounting screws, and get the speaker in and out easily, there is very little room in the width.

Regards,
Old 27th December 2011, 02:00 PM   #92
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
Hi permo,

The size of the slot @ S4 is 4.672"H x 8.625"W, from the area in Hornresp: S4=260cm^2 (40.3in^2).

I'd make the bottom piece of the front baffle removable too. Make sure you can get to the mounting screws, and get the speaker in and out easily, there is very little room in the width.

Regards,
I have that part. I just couldn't find a template for the sub cutouts. I was able to get a document from T and B and make a general template with trial and error yesterday. We should be good to go.

What do you think would be better?

1. rectangle slot with removable top and bottom front panels
2. Single removable front panel with circular opening?

Once again, I can't thank you eneough for your AMAZING work/help on this.
Old 27th December 2011, 02:43 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Hi permo,

For a first try I would go with the round port / single front panel. Pictures? :-)

Regards.
Old 27th December 2011, 03:00 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi permo,

For a first try I would go with the round port / single front panel. Pictures? :-)

Regards.
I will post pics tonight for sure. Right now I just have a pile of cut up wood and some boards under presses. Tonight, We will be fitting things together, gluing and clamping. The only board I plan on using screws on is the removable front panel. The entire enclosure, without the front will be wood glued then put under a large press to cure/dry. I will then caulk the seems, add bracing and prepare the front.

Is it still a 7.163" diameter port with the center 7.005 inches from the bottom of the enclosure?

Would routing the edge to smooth the port out cause any issues by reducing the volume a little?

Last edited by permo; 27th December 2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 27th December 2011, 04:36 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

Hi permo,

Yes, the port location and diameter have not changed. Sounds like you have a nice woodworking setup. Are you using braids to hold the boards in place prior to clamping?

Regards,
Old 27th December 2011, 04:39 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi permo,

Yes, the port location and diameter have not changed. Sounds like you have a nice woodworking setup.

Regards,

I wish it was mine. I have a retired chemical engineer/perfectionist friend with a massive workshop in his basement and two more (including a machine shop) on his property.

The boards are cut accurately within 1/128th of an inch, and we will be mitering the bottom edge of the slanted board at the exact angle for the design.

I will post pics of the project tonight. Hoping to get everything braced, glued and under the press tonight, excluding the front. That will be last.

P.S. It is becoming apparent that this speaker will not be easily transported. It is going to be HEAVY.
Old 27th December 2011, 07:00 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Hi permo,

You need to provide some access to the S1/S2 section to be able to change the stuffing. The stuffing is a vital part of bjorno's design.

Regards,
Old 27th December 2011, 07:08 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi permo,

You need to provide some access to the S1/S2 section to be able to change the stuffing. The stuffing is a vital part of bjorno's design.

Regards,
That was my mistate, the rear is also entirely removable. Just like the front.
Old 27th December 2011, 08:28 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

Hi permo,

Talking about mistakes, I went over the drawing one more time, and found an error in the length of the long vertical divider board (now: 42.752"). I don't think it matters, but it should ideally be a little shorter than in the original drawing. I also added the dimension for the duct cross-section below the long divider board (1=7.121). See attached drawing.

Regards,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf T-TQWT_by bjorno_for permo_Rev_02b_correction.pdf (9.2 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by tb46; 27th December 2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 28th December 2011, 01:57 AM   #100
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi permo,

Talking about mistakes, I went over the drawing one more time, and found an error in the length of the long vertical divider board (now: 42.752"). I don't think it matters, but it should ideally be a little shorter than in the original drawing. I also added the dimension for the duct cross-section below the long divider board (1=7.121). See attached drawing.

Regards,
Hey, no big deal. I made it the other way, but I can sand down the panel once everything drys. Tomorow we will mount the drivers and put the removable panels on. Also cut the circular vent hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATT83538.jpg (76.7 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg ATT28525.jpg (87.1 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg ATT24321.jpg (88.5 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg ATT01644.jpg (103.3 KB, 194 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!