HT Prebuilt sub enclosures?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for some solid prebuilt (at least precut/ designed) forward facing 12" sub boxes.
I do not have the tools or space to cut/ design a box. But in the future I would love to.
I don't mind assembling it, painting it. But I do not have any tools other than a drill and basic socket set. I have a friend that has a paint gun and paints cars for a living and he can paint it for me.
I would like to find a box and supply my own driver and crossover. Are there any sites that sell what I am looking for?

I would like to find a box and supply my own driver and crossover.

The driver and box need to match. Tell us more about what you listen to and the rest of the system and the room, and
- Your budget
- What size/shape is maximum.

By the way, DO NOT "supply your own crossover." Subwoofer crossovers MUST be active (like in your receiver) meaning the sub needs its own amp.

As a speaker engineer I designed and tested a passive sub crossover and they cannot work properly, due to the resonance of the sub causing the impedance curve to go nuts.

I've built speakers on a kitchen table before, using only a sabre saw and screwdrivers. Not the prettiest, but that's what Plastic Wood is for. Home Depot will cut up sheets for you on their panel saw, for $1 a cut. Well worth it since even with a table saw, it's difficult to make long straight cuts. (Better to cut oversize and trim using a router with a straight edge guide.)

Check with pawn shops and car audio dealers. You might score a box for next to nothing. Try a free want ad.

Look into Sonotube sub enclosures. That might greatly simplify construction. Maybe you can get away with siliconing the driver to the tube at the top, then gluing a scrap of MDF to cover the other end.

Sub boxes in the 1 cubic foot range are probably only good for cars. Worthwhile home bass needs more like 2 or 3 cubic feet.

Sub boxes in the 1 cubic foot range are probably only good for cars. Worthwhile home bass needs more like 2 or 3 cubic feet.

Well, plenty of good home subs are pretty small.

BUT they tend to have big amps to make up for the small size. And they tend not to be very cheap.

I second the Delta saw. Great stuff, though I don't know if their quality has dropped or anything lately.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.