5 hz bass @ 125 db in room - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2011, 12:02 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revboden View Post
The physical effect was like someone grabbing you by the shoulders and shaking you while pushing air into and out of your lungs 5 times a second.
sorry missed that bit....do you think if the song had no output below 20hz it would be a better experience?
Old 6th December 2011, 12:09 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

At club levels, Yes. The Wa-Wa effect is supported by the upper harmonics and the ULF content just shakes organs. lungs and inner ear especially.
Old 6th December 2011, 12:16 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running123 View Post
How loud can you produce 5 hz?
I don't really want to find out but i'd guess ~116db. 110db was enough.
Old 6th December 2011, 12:18 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revboden View Post
I don't really want to find out but i'd guess ~116db. 110db was enough.
whats your system? if you don't mind me asking?
Old 6th December 2011, 12:23 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I listened to this song on a pair of wharfedale valdus 500's, for those of you who dont know thing hifi/pa hybrid with 3x 8 inch woofers per speaker tuned quite high (no output at 30hz). Quite cheap speakers, good value for money second hand. Go quite loud and produce lots of midbass.

When standing right next to them they will produce output to 5 hz (like 3 cm's from the cones) before the out of phase output from the port has a chance to reduce the output. Excursion was about 16 mm peak to peak without pushing them. This meant there were 3 8 inch woofers right next to me doing 8mm xmax at 3 cm distance.

For me it added to the mix. you can test it yourself, just stand right next to the woofer cones.
This sounds crazy to me - tell me you're filtering frequencies or just feeding it a pure 5hz sine wave, and not listening to the song loud enough to get rolled off <10hz output at that level. I'm also pretty new to audio, but isn't +/-16mm a huuuuge excursion for 8" woofers?
Also this:
Wal Mart WOOFER Excursion w/ 12 inch Sony Xplod Subwoofer & Ultimate XMAX Bass Test / 5hz 10hz Tone - YouTube
'hearing' it at about 1db is going to be very different than 90db+

Now, Honestly, instead of spending $10k (I'm USD) to listen to <10hz material, you should upgrade to a better speaker/equipment. It will do more for your enjoyment of Dub-Step than subsonic frequencies will. Electronic sounds are generally not present in nature, so hearing them on low distortion drivers in an appropriate acoustic environment is awesome and unique, and will do more for your enjoyment than spending the money the other ways.

Also, bass is the most misunderstood and fetishized frequency range. Most of what people imagine bass is is just distortions - when they hear low distortion drivers, even ones with 12"+ woofers for the first time, they generally think the bass is missing. In a sense the same goes for all frequencies (but to a lesser extent), since a low distortion speaker goes very loud without ever seeming so.

5hz is an interesting goal, and I commend you if you go for it. I just think you should check out some of the other areas of audios first so you can be sure you'll be satisfied with what you do.
Old 6th December 2011, 12:31 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Quote:
sorry missed that bit....do you think if the song had no output below 20hz it would be a better experience?
I'd limit at 16Hz. Some subsonic shake is fun but it needs to be short term.
Old 6th December 2011, 12:39 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superapplekid View Post
This sounds crazy to me - tell me you're filtering frequencies or just feeding it a pure 5hz sine wave, and not listening to the song loud enough to get rolled off <10hz output at that level. I'm also pretty new to audio, but isn't +/-16mm a huuuuge excursion for 8" woofers?
Also this:
Wal Mart WOOFER Excursion w/ 12 inch Sony Xplod Subwoofer & Ultimate XMAX Bass Test / 5hz 10hz Tone - YouTube
'hearing' it at about 1db is going to be very different than 90db+

Now, Honestly, instead of spending $10k (I'm USD) to listen to <10hz material, you should upgrade to a better speaker/equipment. It will do more for your enjoyment of Dub-Step than subsonic frequencies will. Electronic sounds are generally not present in nature, so hearing them on low distortion drivers in an appropriate acoustic environment is awesome and unique, and will do more for your enjoyment than spending the money the other ways.

Also, bass is the most misunderstood and fetishized frequency range. Most of what people imagine bass is is just distortions - when they hear low distortion drivers, even ones with 12"+ woofers for the first time, they generally think the bass is missing. In a sense the same goes for all frequencies (but to a lesser extent), since a low distortion speaker goes very loud without ever seeming so.

5hz is an interesting goal, and I commend you if you go for it. I just think you should check out some of the other areas of audios first so you can be sure you'll be satisfied with what you do.

I have a high end pa system which I use for parties, with 8 subwoofers I designed and built (4 dual 18inch fane xb's in large ported boxes a side) and a custom built set of mid high cabs made by a friend for the tops. I can play down to 35 hz with more spl than is reasonable. What I cannot do is play to 20 hz and below with authority.

I also own a monitor audio platinum home theater (with a pair of Bowers and Wilkins db1 subs). I do not need a higher quality set of speakers. I just want to know the best way to produce outrageous spl down to 5 hz. No more no less. Not as a one of experience but something I can use whenever I want.

And 16 mm peak to peak is not huge for an 8 inch woofer, heck the tc sounds epic 8 does 44 p-p (within xmax, god knows for xmech).
Old 6th December 2011, 12:43 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

the reason i mentioned valdus 500's (which i also own) is because they are cheap and you can get (some of) the effect from them (albeit only at 5 cm's or less).

finally there is nothing wrong with these speakers, they play louder than most hifi and sound better than most pa (within their limits). It costs a lot to get something which will play louder AND sound better.
Old 6th December 2011, 12:52 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have a high end pa system which I use for parties, with 8 subwoofers I designed and built (4 dual 18inch fane xb's in large ported boxes a side) and a custom built set of mid high cabs made by a friend for the tops. I can play down to 35 hz with more spl than is reasonable. What I cannot do is play to 20 hz and below with authority.

I also own a monitor audio platinum home theater (with a pair of Bowers and Wilkins db1 subs). I do not need a higher quality set of speakers. I just want to know the best way to produce outrageous spl down to 5 hz. No more no less. Not as a one of experience but something I can use whenever I want.

And 16 mm peak to peak is not huge for an 8 inch woofer, heck the tc sounds epic 8 does 44 p-p (within xmax, god knows for xmech).
Well that's a big step up from some "wharfedale valdus 500's". So, go for it then. Let us know how you do it/how you like it!

edit: I haven't heard the wharfedales myself, I just don't expect miracles out of a commercial $1k speaker. Don't mean to knock them, I use worse for more.

Last edited by superapplekid; 6th December 2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 6th December 2011, 12:55 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

Quote:
whats your system? if you don't mind me asking?
I'm in a mastering studio for movie production. I'd say more but that would out me.

I can say there are six TC Sounds LMS-R 15" in custom built IB style enclosures 23ft^3 (650L) each, EQ'd flat in room from 30hz to 12Hz at 120db.

Hide this!Advertise here!