5 hz bass @ 125 db in room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For this kind of money you can hire me to come in and give you a ~1Hz "response" I'd really be interested to know when you think you've got your monies worth. Of course you'll have your choice of cricket or ball bats. Hell this sounds like so much fun I might even give you a discount for followup visits. :D

dubstep eg firepower by datsik

yer its a lot of money for one genre but to me its worth it...

Just played the song and yes 5Hz is in there during the ray gun wobble bit.

I still think rotary is the way to go for an install, for a club very large horns and lots of them.

I still think doing this in a large room is a bad idea, for many reasons. Do you understand decay times at 5Hz? you're gonna make mud.

Last edited:
Just played the song and yes 5Hz is in there during the ray gun wobble bit.

I still think rotary is the way to go for an install, for a club very large horns and lots of them.

I still think doing this in a large room is a bad idea, for many reasons. Do you understand decay times at 5Hz? you're gonna make mud.
Now I'm curious: was the <20hz musical, did it add to the song in a meaningful way?

Now I'm curious: was the <20hz musical, did it add to the song in a meaningful way?

I listened to this song on a pair of wharfedale valdus 500's, for those of you who dont know thing hifi/pa hybrid with 3x 8 inch woofers per speaker tuned quite high (no output at 30hz). Quite cheap speakers, good value for money second hand. Go quite loud and produce lots of midbass.

When standing right next to them they will produce output to 5 hz (like 3 cm's from the cones) before the out of phase output from the port has a chance to reduce the output. Excursion was about 16 mm peak to peak without pushing them. This meant there were 3 8 inch woofers right next to me doing 8mm xmax at 3 cm distance.

For me it added to the mix. you can test it yourself, just stand right next to the woofer cones.

No, it just rattled doors, which was annoying/distracting. The physical effect was like someone grabbing you by the shoulders and shaking you while pushing air into and out of your lungs 5 times a second. It was unpleasant at 110db in room.

p.s. I like dub-step but this was too low.

Last edited:
I listened to this song on a pair of wharfedale valdus 500's, for those of you who dont know thing hifi/pa hybrid with 3x 8 inch woofers per speaker tuned quite high (no output at 30hz). Quite cheap speakers, good value for money second hand. Go quite loud and produce lots of midbass.

When standing right next to them they will produce output to 5 hz (like 3 cm's from the cones) before the out of phase output from the port has a chance to reduce the output. Excursion was about 16 mm peak to peak without pushing them. This meant there were 3 8 inch woofers right next to me doing 8mm xmax at 3 cm distance.

For me it added to the mix. you can test it yourself, just stand right next to the woofer cones.

This sounds crazy to me - tell me you're filtering frequencies or just feeding it a pure 5hz sine wave, and not listening to the song loud enough to get rolled off <10hz output at that level. I'm also pretty new to audio, but isn't +/-16mm a huuuuge excursion for 8" woofers?
Also this:
Wal Mart WOOFER Excursion w/ 12 inch Sony Xplod Subwoofer & Ultimate XMAX Bass Test / 5hz 10hz Tone - YouTube
'hearing' it at about 1db is going to be very different than 90db+

Now, Honestly, instead of spending $10k (I'm USD) to listen to <10hz material, you should upgrade to a better speaker/equipment. It will do more for your enjoyment of Dub-Step than subsonic frequencies will. Electronic sounds are generally not present in nature, so hearing them on low distortion drivers in an appropriate acoustic environment is awesome and unique, and will do more for your enjoyment than spending the money the other ways.

Also, bass is the most misunderstood and fetishized frequency range. Most of what people imagine bass is is just distortions - when they hear low distortion drivers, even ones with 12"+ woofers for the first time, they generally think the bass is missing. In a sense the same goes for all frequencies (but to a lesser extent), since a low distortion speaker goes very loud without ever seeming so.

5hz is an interesting goal, and I commend you if you go for it. I just think you should check out some of the other areas of audios first so you can be sure you'll be satisfied with what you do.

This sounds crazy to me - tell me you're filtering frequencies or just feeding it a pure 5hz sine wave, and not listening to the song loud enough to get rolled off <10hz output at that level. I'm also pretty new to audio, but isn't +/-16mm a huuuuge excursion for 8" woofers?
Also this:
Wal Mart WOOFER Excursion w/ 12 inch Sony Xplod Subwoofer & Ultimate XMAX Bass Test / 5hz 10hz Tone - YouTube
'hearing' it at about 1db is going to be very different than 90db+

Now, Honestly, instead of spending $10k (I'm USD) to listen to <10hz material, you should upgrade to a better speaker/equipment. It will do more for your enjoyment of Dub-Step than subsonic frequencies will. Electronic sounds are generally not present in nature, so hearing them on low distortion drivers in an appropriate acoustic environment is awesome and unique, and will do more for your enjoyment than spending the money the other ways.

Also, bass is the most misunderstood and fetishized frequency range. Most of what people imagine bass is is just distortions - when they hear low distortion drivers, even ones with 12"+ woofers for the first time, they generally think the bass is missing. In a sense the same goes for all frequencies (but to a lesser extent), since a low distortion speaker goes very loud without ever seeming so.

5hz is an interesting goal, and I commend you if you go for it. I just think you should check out some of the other areas of audios first so you can be sure you'll be satisfied with what you do.

I have a high end pa system which I use for parties, with 8 subwoofers I designed and built (4 dual 18inch fane xb's in large ported boxes a side) and a custom built set of mid high cabs made by a friend for the tops. I can play down to 35 hz with more spl than is reasonable. What I cannot do is play to 20 hz and below with authority.

I also own a monitor audio platinum home theater (with a pair of Bowers and Wilkins db1 subs). I do not need a higher quality set of speakers. I just want to know the best way to produce outrageous spl down to 5 hz. No more no less. Not as a one of experience but something I can use whenever I want.

And 16 mm peak to peak is not huge for an 8 inch woofer, heck the tc sounds epic 8 does 44 p-p (within xmax, god knows for xmech).

the reason i mentioned valdus 500's (which i also own) is because they are cheap and you can get (some of) the effect from them (albeit only at 5 cm's or less).

finally there is nothing wrong with these speakers, they play louder than most hifi and sound better than most pa (within their limits). It costs a lot to get something which will play louder AND sound better.

I have a high end pa system which I use for parties, with 8 subwoofers I designed and built (4 dual 18inch fane xb's in large ported boxes a side) and a custom built set of mid high cabs made by a friend for the tops. I can play down to 35 hz with more spl than is reasonable. What I cannot do is play to 20 hz and below with authority.

I also own a monitor audio platinum home theater (with a pair of Bowers and Wilkins db1 subs). I do not need a higher quality set of speakers. I just want to know the best way to produce outrageous spl down to 5 hz. No more no less. Not as a one of experience but something I can use whenever I want.

And 16 mm peak to peak is not huge for an 8 inch woofer, heck the tc sounds epic 8 does 44 p-p (within xmax, god knows for xmech).

Well that's a big step up from some "wharfedale valdus 500's". So, go for it then. Let us know how you do it/how you like it!

edit: I haven't heard the wharfedales myself, I just don't expect miracles out of a commercial $1k speaker. Don't mean to knock them, I use worse for more.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.