What Sub/Subs for FOH Tour Rig - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2011, 04:21 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Spoke with my EAW rep today and he referred me here: http://www.eaw.com/products/jfl118/d...pec_prelim.pdf
Since I'm not up on interpreting the specs/data what are observations on this sub?
Old 29th November 2011, 03:05 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PutSomeAmpsIn2It View Post
Spoke with my EAW rep today and he referred me here: http://www.eaw.com/products/jfl118/d...pec_prelim.pdf
Since I'm not up on interpreting the specs/data what are observations on this sub?
Looks like another ported box to me.
The cabinet has flyware, a very expensive feature that you will not be using in clubland, unless you already own chain motors and all the associated rigging gear.
Not much data to go on, no chart and "preliminary", meaning "subject to change". The 100 dB sensitivity spec is probably at around 120 Hz, the operating range are probably the 10 dB (or more) down points.
10 dB down sounds half as loud, and requires 10 times the power to flatten out the response.

If you want something that will make some real bass without needing massive power check out my Keystone design or the TH-18 design.

Keystone Sub Using 18,15,&12 Inch Speakers

To give you an idea of their output, a single Keystone 18 (BC18SW115-4 loaded) with a bridged Crest CA-9 can put out slightly more 40 Hz level than four Meyers 650P dual 18 cabinets.
I run a pair (one per side) with fourteen horn loaded 8" and five 1.5" DH1A (3" VC ) per side on top.
Crossing over at 100 Hz, the subs and the mids run out of steam at about the same level.

Art Welter

Last edited by weltersys; 29th November 2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 29th November 2011, 05:05 PM   #23
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

agreed the eaw is nothing special.
you could probaply bild 3 of those diy for the same price.

Hide this!Advertise here!