What Sub/Subs for FOH Tour Rig

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After several hours of reading countless threads on this forum and others I have to admit I'm more frustrated and confused than at the start of my reading. There are so many models, varients and model numbers it falls in the TMI category. I won't bore you with endless chatter so
here's what I need.
Next year I'm doing approx 70 shows mainly in clubs here in the US with the crowds ranging from 200-1200 and have decided to build my own subs. Would prefer not to pull a trailer.
The FOH mains I will be using will be EAW-210's pushed by Lab Gruppen's processed with EAW's UX8800. Stylistically, these shows are southern rock venues with only one wedge being used for the drummer.
Here are some basics.
Quality/Clean sound
Potability: Want the most sub for the size with cost of build not being a issue.
Ease/Time of setup
Want the kick to have some shock & quality awe.
Subs should have the "punch" effect.
Subs should be efficient.
I'm aware of the simplistic nature of this thread but it's the best I can come up with.
Feel free to ask any questions or make any observations.

Hi...
I have 24 of EAW SB1000. It is compact and really good sounding. And of course very powerful too. It is ok if you have only 1 sub per side....you won't miss sub bass......it is not necessary to stack them in groups to get nice low end....but of course it rock if you....
So my advice. 4 per side for 1200 people in closed venue. And find some used units on ebay.....it is a lot of work to build them...and paint them properly ....and make front grilles....and so on...i have actually diy clones, drivers I've used are PD1850.
Best regards, Taj

The Punisher can go 130dB at 50Hz with 1000 Watt.
Speakerstore
2 of those should be loud enough for your needs. They are relatively cheap, lightweight, go loud and have plenty of shock and awe punch.
I know these quite well, as a felow free party organasation has 8 of them and they blow everything away.

If that isn´t low enough you can build the Othorn.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/193418-othorn-tapped-horn.html
These go to 35Hz.

If you want 20Hz you could go for a Gjallerhorn.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/189784-gjallerhorn.html
Witch is what I´m going to do.

foh main =jfl 210 or mr210?
in case jfl210 you could choose closed ,br,or th.
in case mr210 closed or br.
best use high quality neo 18" drivers(18 sound,b&c,rcf )tuned to 35~40 hz.
th's are bigger but produce more output vs amp load.
so if u have lots of power you could choose a br box,wich are easy to bild, but need more speakers.
wich labruppen you have for the subs?

punisher's rock but you need multiples to get low extension

Last edited:
fyi
compare 2x br cab 300 ltrs loaded with 2x 18 sound 18 nlw 9000 @ x-max grey
with 2x th 550 ltr loaded with single 18 sound 18 nlw 9000 @ x-max black
the br needs 2x speakers and ~2x amp load,but 3/5 volume.
vb%20br300ltr%20vs%20th550ltr.jpg

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Unless you do a lot of heavy dance stuff, I wouldn't even think about running a touring rig below 40 Hz. Don't waste amp power by trying to get low, pick cabs that have a good efficiency between about 60-150Hz, something like a 18" horn loaded box or TH, and make them in multiple small boxes so you can use what you need, rig and derig quickly, and can be carried up stairs, (I've done my share of small club gigs!).

foh main =jfl 210 or mr210?
in case jfl210 you could choose closed ,br,or th.
in case mr210 closed or br.
best use high quality neo 18" drivers(18 sound,b&c,rcf )tuned to 35~40 hz.
th's are bigger but produce more output vs amp load.
so if u have lots of power you could choose a br box,wich are easy to bild, but need more speakers.
wich labruppen you have for the subs?

punisher's rock but you need multiples to get low extension

Sub Amps are fp14000 series.

Unless you do a lot of heavy dance stuff, I wouldn't even think about running a touring rig below 40 Hz. Don't waste amp power by trying to get low, pick cabs that have a good efficiency between about 60-150Hz, something like a 18" horn loaded box or TH, and make them in multiple small boxes so you can use what you need, rig and derig quickly, and can be carried up stairs, (I've done my share of small club gigs!).

The th-118's look to be a good option as well as some Mini's. Which th-118 and Mini design/build fits my application best? There are so many configurations it's confusing especially not having the necessary understanding interpreting the numbers/data.

The th-118's look to be a good option as well as some Mini's. Which th-118 and Mini design/build fits my application best? There are so many configurations it's confusing especially not having the necessary understanding interpreting the numbers/data.

I was referring to the TH-18's because this is DIYaudio. The Danley TH-118's are great, but they are north of $3000 USD a piece. Ouch.

1>ranging from 200-1200 people
there is a difference playing in a hall with 1200 people in it, or giving a concert for 1200 people.the later needing much more output.
2>build my own subs
> so no reason to mension factury bild subs.
3>Would prefer not to pull a trailer,
and
4>should be efficient.
this is a contradiction because >you can pick any 2 of small, efficient,and low.
meaning, if you want a box to be efficient and go low its going to be big.
if you want a box small and go low it wil not be efficient
if you want a box small and efficient it wil not go low

4>cost of build not being a issue
,this is why i advice quility drivers,they wil earn themselfs back over time.
Sub Amps are fp14000 series
.meaning 2 channels of 7000 watts@ 2 ohm per side.
this is a lot of power,you could drive 3 to 4 18"high power woofers from 1 channel.
some say you dont need to go low ,this is a personal opinion.
ive done a lot of pa-ing in my time ,and i always extend my lows to 30 hz(admitted i usualy playd for 200-600 people.)
its up to you and your experiance to say how low you need.
saying you dont want to pul a trayler,is not posible when playing for 1200 people when doing concerts unless you got a big truck
imo you could run 3 500~600 ltr 18"th per side for up to 600 people giving a concert.
that is 1500 to 1800 ltr per side.
or do it with 3 double 18"br cabs wich is about 1000 ltrs per side(using 2 amp channels)
see post 6 four a comparison.
the reason i asked wich tops us use is the mr210 doesnt do much below 300 hz, wich means the subs need to run that hi
in case of the jfl 210 tis is no problem as they go down to 65 hz
:)

50 of PD1850. It is 24 double 18 subs, 12 per side and 2 spare drivers. At such amount you just buy 2 more...it doesn't make any difference...:(
I'm using it for open air concerts and closed venues as well......something up to 5000 people. It depends on program.
Best regards, Taj

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.