Best deep bass folded fron horn?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Front loaded will give you great output but it's going to be pretty darn big.
By the way what's the application? Falling off at 40hz isn't considered "deep bass" really.

Starting to fall off at 40Hz is plenty low enough for the majority of music. Even Rap music which is considered to be bass heavy doesn't go below 35Hz. A horn that starts to roll off at 40Hz will still be able to capture those rare 35Hz notes without any trouble. If you analyze your favorite songs with Audacity software, you might be surprised at how little continent there is below 35Hz.

Find Your Hertz - YouTube

Empty Bandwidth - YouTube

15Hz For My Thoughts - YouTube

Starting to fall off at 40Hz is plenty low enough for the majority of music. Even Rap music which is considered to be bass heavy doesn't go below 35Hz. A horn that starts to roll off at 40Hz will still be able to capture those rare 35Hz notes without any trouble. If you analyze your favorite songs with Audacity software, you might be surprised at how little continent there is below 35Hz.
The low E on a four string bass is 40 Hz, but many (if not most) basses now have a low B, about 32 Hz.
Low 30 Hz is now common in music, I see response in to the 25 Hz range frequently on my RTA, though music mixed for the vinyl era usually has little below 50 Hz.
While I agree that starting to fall off at 40 Hz is plenty low enough for the majority of (pop) music, there is plenty of music that I listen to that having flat response to below 30 Hz makes a real difference.

Art

Find Your Hertz - YouTube

Empty Bandwidth - YouTube

15Hz For My Thoughts - YouTube

For music yes. But I was just pointing out that 40hz isn't considered "deep bass" on a forum were people build very large HT oriented horns tuned to 20hz or below.

The low E on a four string bass is 40 Hz, but many (if not most) basses now have a low B, about 32 Hz.
Low 30 Hz is now common in music, I see response in to the 25 Hz range frequently on my RTA, though music mixed for the vinyl era usually has little below 50 Hz.
While I agree that starting to fall off at 40 Hz is plenty low enough for the majority of (pop) music, there is plenty of music that I listen to that having flat response to below 30 Hz makes a real difference.

Art

Correct me if I'm misinformed, but isn't the next harmonic up actually higher in amplitude than the fundamental on the four string? I can't find it right now, but I remember seeing a spectrogram showing this. No doubt there is continent at the fundamental, it’s just not the dominate part of the instrument’s sound. So, I guess the question becomes how important is getting the very last infinitesimal bit of bass out of your system? The most logical response for me would be whatever is practical and fits in the room. Every situation is different (Room, equipment, speakers, program material, etc.) I personally wouldn't lose any sleep if I could only fit a 35Hz or 40Hz horn in my room.

Correct me if I'm misinformed, but isn't the next harmonic up actually higher in amplitude than the fundamental on the four string? I can't find it right now, but I remember seeing a spectrogram showing this. No doubt there is continent at the fundamental, it’s just not the dominate part of the instrument’s sound. So, I guess the question becomes how important is getting the very last infinitesimal bit of bass out of your system? The most logical response for me would be whatever is practical and fits in the room. Every situation is different (Room, equipment, speakers, program material, etc.) I personally wouldn't lose any sleep if I could only fit a 35Hz or 40Hz horn in my room.
Most basses, acoustic or Fender or whatever, produce harmonics as much as 10 dB louder than the fundamental.
Because of that, with some music one can get away with EQing as much as ten dB of boost to counteract a falling response without any excursion problems.
However, kick drums and synth content for some music may have as much 25 Hz as 50 Hz, with a 10 dB boost either massive clipping or overexcursion will occur.
All depends on the content (compare the movie soundtrack "Inception" to a girl with an acoustic guitar, LOL), and the level one wants to achieve, if the OP is happy with a 40 Hz F3 response, that makes a reasonable size FLH achievable if room walls are employed in the design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.