Doing room drawings - Question about subwoofer placement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys. Just a quick question, I'm curious to know everyone's input. I've currently got a pair of t-tqwt subs that bjorno helped me design and I'm very happy with them. Coming up shortly, I have the opportunity to re-design a large basement room into a media room of sorts, and I'll have the ability to design the rear wall.

With this, I have the option of recessing portions of the wall if I chose, so that if I wanted to, I could recess the subs back into the wall, so that just the front shows..technically, if painted, the only part that would show is the mouth, essentially looking like an air vent in the wall.

I thought it might look pretty slick, but I'm concerned that it might change the modelled response. Would this technically be 2pi space? or something completely different? Is it a bad idea altogether?

Perhaps you would want to play around with placement with a regular sub as much is possible to find the absolute best spot. It may not be where you want the sub's though!

In Wall seems like a good idea. secondary radiation from the enclosure should be extremely low or non existent.
Maybe you will find good answers from this forum:
"Cult of the Infinitely Baffled"Hear The Bass, Not The Box The definitive online resource for Infinite Baffle subwoofer designEstablished 1999 - Home

Sweet, thanks, I'll read that next.

Right now, they're wedged firmly in the corners, my idea would basically leave them where they are, but pushed back into the wall.

Attachments

• Boundary-interaction.GIF
    Boundary-interaction.GIF
    13.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
The less "room" in your sound the better. Look up "Tectum" - can't think of anything like it that has any effect down at low Hz - install instead of drywall and a bit of absorbent behind the Tectum will help a bit, but only a bit more. The deadest you can make your basement room will still have too much "room" in it.

Consider beams in the ceiling. Likely the floor-ceiling dimension will be a bear.

Klipsch said to use the wide wall as your sound stage. If your system is good (good matching between L and R) and possibly with a middle fill, that will be quite a treat and get you somewhere nearer Carnegie Hall.

Ben

Last edited:
The less "room" in your sound the better. Look up "Tectum" - can't think of anything like it that has any effect down at low Hz - install instead of drywall and a bit of absorbent behind the Tectum will help a bit, but only a bit more. The deadest you can make your basement room will still have too much "room" in it.

Consider beams in the ceiling. Likely the floor-ceiling dimension will be a bear.

Ben

Well, I do have the option of doing pretty much anything I want with this room...this is the deal I've made with my s/o. She gets to decorate the house, except for this one area. Once it's all walled off the way I want, it's going to be about 14 feet wide and probably 20 or more long.

The Tectum looks cool and might be something that I could do eventually.

Before I call them for a quote, do you have any idea how expensive this stuff is?

More like a building material than a high-falutin' acoustical thingy. Easy to work with with wood tools and no special tricks to mounting except the bigger the air space behind, the bigger the absorption, esp. low freq. We've all seen it in places where smart architects design - looks EXACTLY like shredded wheat.

Are you cursed with a concrete basement floor? Think about a natural fiber carpet and a true felt underlayer - sometimes can be found second-hand. Few other floor covering materials do much at all.

Getting the "room" out makes sense to me. Remember, you are RE-producing, not making music. Your electronics should do some corrections, but starting with a clean slate makes that easier.

There's a literature on room soundscapes. For me, it is like rooms that need a bath versus clean rooms.

Ben

Last edited:
More like a building material than a high-falutin' acoustical thingy. Easy to work with with wood tools and no special tricks to mounting except the bigger the air space behind, the bigger the absorption, esp. low freq. We've all seen it in places where smart architects design - looks EXACTLY like shredded wheat.

Are you cursed with a concrete basement floor? Think about a natural fiber carpet and a true felt underlayer - sometimes can be found second-hand. Few other floor covering materials do much at all.

Ben

Yeah, it's concrete. The carpet is going to get thrown out anyway, I hate the color.

I'll look into the felt underpad, that sounds like a great idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.