Stroker Pro 15 inch for HT linkwitz transform

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi a pair of new stroker pro 15 inch car subwoofers are available for around 1000 USD. I know its mostly SPL driver but has adjustable voice coil bias overhun/underhung. So it could be tuned/djusted for mimimum SPL and greatest SQ.

There are not much HT subwoofers available here and DIY with a high powered is the only way to go making them sealed and powering them with Pro- amplifiers

SPECS
Fs=26.4 Hz
Qts=0.72
Qes=0.79
Qms=7.8
Xmax=40 mm
Vas=3.6 Cu ft.
sensitivity=86.3 db

Now the manual states both options with vented 3 cu ft, tunned to 36 Hz iwth 2x4inch tubes with 14 inch lenght or SEALED 2.7 cu ft.

Now putting the data in WINISD gives this :Vb=13.7 cu Ft ???? with Fb=30.9 Hz and Qtc=0.795 .... its HUGE but F3= 27.23 Hz.

since its ann HT subwoofer i used Linktwitz Transform with Fo=30.9 Hz, Fp=20 Hz, Qo=0.795 and Qp=0.707. it gives F3=20 Hz now thats cool. with Xmax of 40 mm and 2500 watts power rms.

Now ith 2000 watts applied in simulation the 20 Hz output = 115db!!!!.

Questions
1. Ii cannot check the Excusrion in simulation i dunno why?

2. Any guess why the recommended enclosure volume is 2.7 whereas WinIsd Says 13.7 cu Ft???

3. what the quickest way to implement Linkwitz transform ?

4. Are the 20 Hz 115 db figures reliable ???

Cerwin Vega Stroker Pro 15 Subwoofer Review - Subwoofer Reviews - Car Audio and Electronics

If put into optimium sealed bbpro comes up with 3.954cf F3 34.25Hz.
Vented comes up with 11.67cf, F3 13.87Hz, tuned to 15.56Hz.
Won't produce xmax graphs either

I've only ever used LT in my car, where it works very well-my enlcousre is 0.126cf and has an Fb of 76Hz-the sub is played totally below this 60Hz'n'down. For home use I've never tried it, but you'd need the EQ to boost below the F3 at 12dB per octave IIRC.

Thanks a lot. i want to use it for HT not car 2.7 cubic feet is recommended by CV for car making accomodation for cabin gain.

what do you recommend ported or sealed ? with tunning to 15.56 Hz i dont think i would be needing LT for ported neither i want to mess wtith diy type LT but i do have a 31 band graphic equalizer with dual band paramerteric equalizer from 20-50 Hz variable, Q=0.7-4.0 boost/cut=+/- 12 db . can it do the job if use for Lt or use behringer FBP 2496.
BTW what would be port dimensions for ported.

best regards

More info etc

@ muddasirwaheedmalik

Hi, i put the TSP's into WinISD & came up with this design, based on ...

Int Vol = 10L

fs = 20Hz

Power = 2000W

1 x Port = D = 140mm L = 223mm

trf1.gif

max spl1.gif

x1.gif

@ NEO Dan

I managed to locate the Cerwin Vega Stroker Pro 15 Subwoofer PDF here User Manuals Not exactly straightforward to find :mad: they could make the data a LOT easier to find, why they don't ?

I used both HornResponse & WinISD to generate the extra data from the specs in the PDF ;) They correlated quite nicely i'm pleased to say :)

I inputted Re = 3.6 DCR = Both coils in series

Mmd = 422.10 gm

Mms = 438.2 gm

Sd = 0.0931 m2

Vd = 3.72 L

Cms = 0.0000829 m/N

Rms = 9.32 N/s/m

BL = 18.2 Tm

Le = 1.5 mH

The best approach would be to work out how much space you can give to the enclosure and then design the best box for that space. I'd go ported and tuned low, the lower the better for HT and for music-if you tune low you can EQ down the LF for music. Give the space you're willing to sacrifice and I'll give you some designs.

vow , thats quite much work you have done. I am a bit surprised about the Bl its a bit low as compared to other similar sized woofers particularly the pro ones.

Any way with 40mm Xmax i think we have quite a room for excursion, at LF. Box size is not issue so i think to avoid thermal and power compresssion at very high levels i would go ported. Again would like to go very very low in tunning , i will be using a pair driven by peavye GPS-2600 amplifier having 900w rms on each channel. So YES big box, PORTED and tuned very low.

SIDE BAR: CAN we add some weight to cone like 440g to reduce Fs by 0.7 factor i.e. Fs=18 Hz , reasons :

1. The sub would be used below 50 Hz only. above 50 Hz i intend to used peavey low rider pro 15 inch driver till 100 Hz.:)
2. The low end would be extended and i think the motor struture and suspension can take that much extra mass with reduced sensitity we still have 2500 watts thermal power handling capacity to handle the extra power. just a thought

100L etc

@ muddasirwaheedmalik

Hi, first off to correct a missing 0 from the Int Vol. It was actually 100L in my design, not 10L as shown :D

CAN we add some weight to cone like 440g

Well you could, but i wouldn't, & certainly not that much. I would worry about securing it long term.

Sure you could make the box bigger & tune lower. I just gave one example of what could be done ;)

@ muddasirwaheedmalik

Hi, i loaded up the specs again in WinISD and rechecked. I realised that the Int Vol was set at cu ft, so that's why i originally quoted 10. As i usually work in Liters & you questioned 10L being a small size, i automatically presumed i had meant 100L without loading up WinISD to see. On rechecking today for you i now realise that the design i did is in fact 10 cu ft = 283.20 L after all ! I'm sorry for any confusion that occurred :eek: I can only think that at the time when i did it, i was extremely busy with other things here as well. In future i'll Triple check ;)

Here's a design with Baron Groog's proposed 11.67 Cu ft tuned to15.56 Hz for comparison.

Max-SPL.gif

X.gif

Pow.gif

Both his & mine still look nice, it depends on what you want :)

Regards

Thanks , just for every one info. i had a spare Wilson watch dog subwoofer driver. I had it from a friend. who imported it for replacement of his subwoofer watch dog cabinet pair. Well he did not use it and managed to get it. Originally tried sealed but was disappointed 2.8 cuft. Lower SPl than 15 inch sealed Paradigm even us at same power levels, then just opened a port 4 inch 15 inch long. Oh my. The SPl just sprung up not as much as Paradigm but below 25-27 Hz the paradigm was silent whereas the wilson ported shook my rib cage. it was tuned to 20 Hz.....

Very subtle , very less noise or distortion , no artifacts , no calling attention to itself. just doing its job at relatively modest levels. My question is that with similar design for stroker pro 15. is there any chance of it souding boomy ? BTW it has a adjustable voice coil to make it overhung or underhung.

Secondly it used class D amp to drive it, and could literally fell the bass notes rining like a bell...resonating...group delay i suppose. But since i would be using it for HT. so think we must be fine with it. Any views.

Best regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.