Cheapest way to incorporate High Pass filter? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2011, 05:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Cheapest way to incorporate High Pass filter?

Sub/Amp setup consists of:

(1) Lab 12 tapped horn (about 25hz tuning or so)
(2) Tang band 6.5" Double fold 38hz tapped horns

QSC rmx 1450 bridged to power the big lab 12 horn
Denon DSW-40 plate amp to powe the small horns (wired in series, 8.2 ohm Re)

I have an 80hz low pass built in to my receiver, sending that signal to both subs.

I have no high pass filter on the QSC amp (only 30 or 50hz selectable) and no high pass on the denon plate amp (i figure it has a built in high pass, probably way too low, and i have no idea what it is)

I think one of the motors on one of my Tang band subs is messed up, it makes some noise at 42hz and below (tuning was supposed to be 38hz). Above 45hz the mini horns make plenty of clean bass, no motor noise.

So, my question. I really need a high pass on the mini horns for noise purposes (I'm not buying a new tang band sub at $100 a pop, price has sky rocketed) and i should really have a high pass on the big sub for safety purposes (400RMS rated driver, getting about 1000rms clean power or so)

I thought about passive, but the components are kinda pricey to handle the wattage, and i would need two.

Would mini DSP's do? I've never used them, but maybe this is a good time to try them out...

any other ideas? thanks guys!
Old 16th November 2011, 05:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I just looked at the mini DSP with 2 in, 4 out. it's $100. http://www.minidsp.com/index.php
i guess i could just run one sub output to each input, then from there run two (one R, one L) to each amp?
i wasn't looking to spend $100 right now, but i guess if thats the cheapest and best solution i could do that...
Old 16th November 2011, 05:26 PM   #3
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

http://www.amazon.com/FMOD-Crossover.../ref=pd_cp_e_2
Old 16th November 2011, 05:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

^have you used those? are they any good? do they eat up a lot of signal voltage?

I would need the pair of 20hz for the QSC amp, and a pair of 45HZ for the denon amp....that would be around $50 or so....hmm, worth it to buy those, or spend the $100 now, only 50 more, and get a DSP which i can change slopes etc whenever....ahh decisions decisions!

from their site...
"Fixed crossover point (-3db) high pass (passes high frequencies such as mid/tweet amplifier use) passive crossover modules. The RCA plug is the output and "points" toward the amplifier. These may be combined to produce 24db per octave slopes if a 3db attenuator is used between them. Keep in mind that two equal value FMOD high pass modules will increase the slope to 24db per octave and the crossover point will be double the FMOD value. Two 100 high pass FMODs with the 3db attenuator between them will become a 200 high pass 24db per octave crossover. This also holds true for combining FMODS with other equipment to alter the crossover point(s) and to increase the slope AND in that case you do not need the 3db attenuator. When ordering be sure to select the crossover point from the drop-down list. Passive device so there is no noise or distortion (transparent to your system). Color coded for crossover point."

so the slope, with one FMOD per channel is only 3db/octave? i dont think that would be steep enough for my needs...

Last edited by m R g S r; 16th November 2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 16th November 2011, 05:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m R g S r View Post
^have you used those? are they any good? do they eat up a lot of signal voltage?

I would need the pair of 20hz for the QSC amp, and a pair of 45HZ for the denon amp....that would be around $50 or so....hmm, worth it to buy those, or spend the $100 now, only 50 more, and get a DSP which i can change slopes etc whenever....ahh decisions decisions!

from their site...
"Fixed crossover point (-3db) high pass (passes high frequencies such as mid/tweet amplifier use) passive crossover modules. The RCA plug is the output and "points" toward the amplifier. These may be combined to produce 24db per octave slopes if a 3db attenuator is used between them. Keep in mind that two equal value FMOD high pass modules will increase the slope to 24db per octave and the crossover point will be double the FMOD value. Two 100 high pass FMODs with the 3db attenuator between them will become a 200 high pass 24db per octave crossover. This also holds true for combining FMODS with other equipment to alter the crossover point(s) and to increase the slope AND in that case you do not need the 3db attenuator. When ordering be sure to select the crossover point from the drop-down list. Passive device so there is no noise or distortion (transparent to your system). Color coded for crossover point."

so the slope, with one FMOD per channel is only 3db/octave? i dont think that would be steep enough for my needs...
You are an experimenter, this won't be your last set up, get some DSP that allows multiple configurations without spending multiple $$.
Old 16th November 2011, 06:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well, since you are at DIY.... how about this?
Subsonic / Rumble Filter for Phono preamps and Sub-Woofers
Old 16th November 2011, 06:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Okay so is that one I linked to the best option? $100 2 in 4 out, that should be able to control both subs seperately right? Aka I can set one slope / high pass on one input Channel and a different slope / high pass on Another?

Reason I'm being cheap about this is because it's all for my patents HT, and 90% of the time my mom is home and bitches if we have the subs on. Sooo all this $ I've spent on the sub setup which I can only use 10% of the time without hearing complaints lol. So it's WAF for my dad, and MAF (mom acceptance factor) for me :/
Old 16th November 2011, 06:15 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell View Post
Well, since you are at DIY.... how about this?
Subsonic / Rumble Filter for Phono preamps and Sub-Woofers
Like art points out, I'd rather have the option of changing / playing around with slopes. He's right I'm gunna mess with it more than once
Old 16th November 2011, 06:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m R g S r View Post
So it's WAF for my dad, and MAF (mom acceptance factor) for me :/

sounds like you need a fixed 80hz high pass
Old 16th November 2011, 06:21 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I know it sucks. And my house is old so the entire f'in thing shakes Nice thing about the separate sub amps and high passed mains/surrounds is that there is almost NO bass without the subs on. Of course I think it sounds terrible, but my mom loves it lol

Hide this!Advertise here!