mechanical coupling of subwoofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok. its a hypothetical situation but we can search for science behind it for application on some medium level subs having low X linear and distortion due to motor non linearities.

I have a stock iof some medium quality 8 inch subwoofers Fs 38 Hz Vas 17 litres, have around 10 mm Xmax and with 1 inch big roll surrouonds. in 1 litre box they have Fb of 49 Hz and sound ok in car.

Now i was wondering that if one would remove the surround and cone of one subwoofer , invoert it fix it on other with chasis screws and physically connect them with a tube.

What we have done...wasted on woofer yes
2. double the motor strength
3. Compliance reduced not half as surround is removed
4. totally symmetrial BL curve
5. Increased Mms more than one driver but how much depending upon the coupling plastic tube.
6. Decreased Fs,,,,, may be.
7 Reduced distortion...sure

Now i know its more like isobaric but its not.... its truly isobaric and nonlinearlities in in coupling between them is completely removed. reduced Mms if coupling tube weighs less than removed cone and reduced compliance, that means smaller Vas????

[]<=[]

any comments?

That might be tough to connect them, might go thru a few woofers before you get one to hold.

I'd build a tunnel of some sort; you might get better results with a slight hour glass shape.

Question for the forum also, would the speaker(s) magnet polarity need to line up?

[I'm getting ready to assemble one ~ I'm going to try to match up the magnetic fields]

well with 3-4 inch nuts and bots 8 of them could hold them firmly together .. and with face plates 6-8 inch apart i donot think it would affect magnetic field .

I am interested in that by removing one cone+surround , i am driving one cone with 2 motors in pull push mechanism, echanically coupled it should give excellent linearlity. questions for the forum then.

1. Fs
2. Qt.
3. Bl
4. Qm/Qe (assuming wired in parallel)
5. Vas
6. Distorton

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.